Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• I was deleted.

Re: This Disneylander needs help organizing his first WDW trip

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    What about RnRC - Did they take the single rider line out?
    That's so new it's not in my head at the hour I made my post. I was just thinking that M:S lost its.

And regarding Fireworks, they do get cancelled, but its nothing like how often they don't run at DL. I've been told RoE has only been cancelled twice and it did run for the 25th, just delayed - jimmybop and other MiceChatters were there.

• Circle of Ancients

-the best time of year to go. We want nice weather, but also low crowds.
    October was good for us last year (hopefully will be the same this year). But even during Gay Days in May/June I never thought it was "Too Crowded". Just remember, you have 4 parks, so if one is crowded you can always hop to another park.

-which is your preferred resort to stay at while visiting the World? We have our eye on the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but are most definitely open to suggestions.
    Never even seen the AKL, but I've heard nice things. I LOVE the Poly though.

-are EMH worth it? Do the crowds from the resort guests overwhelm this perk to the point of "why bother"?
    Mornings, for us are TOTALLY worth it. Especially for MK. Evenings, just depends.

-what restaurants do you recommend? Do we need reservations? And if so, how far out should we make them?
    'Ohana, 'Ohana, 'Ohana. Other than that I like 50's Prime-Time and Sci-Fi in MGM, any of the World Showcase places in Epcot, Liberty Tree and Crystal Palace character meals in Magic Kingdom.

-(inline with above question) when is the earliest we can make our trip reservations?
    I believe it's 6 months prior, but generally you can do it 2 to 3 months

-are the CM's strict on enforcing the FP return times? How often can we get another FP? Is it 2 hours, or the return time (if it's early enough), or shorter?
    No, same as Disneyland. FP's can be used after the expiration time

-doubt we'll need it, but what attractions have Single Rider (just in case)?
    Test Track, RnRC and Everest do for sure. Not sure about any others (Soarin'?)

-which FP's 'sell out' the fastest?
    At MK - Space Mtn and Splash Mtn. Epcot - Soarin' and Test Track. MGM - RnRC and Tower of Terror. Animal Kingdom - Everest and Safari's.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    -(inline with above question) when is the earliest we can make our trip reservations?
    I believe it's 6 months prior, but generally you can do it 2 to 3 months
    This has really changed in the last couple of years due to the popularity of the Disney Dining Plan. These days, if you don't book right at 180 days out, you take a chance of missing out on some of the key restaurants at key times. The California Grill and the Coral Reef both book solid that far out, unless you want to eat at 3pm. Get your requests in early!

And I agree about 'Ohana. It's a wonderful dining experience, where they bring skewers of various meats & shrimp to your table and carve off as much as you can stomach. They just keep coming till you're beyond satisfied!

• Circle of Ancients

^ True about CA Grill, Coral Reef and Cinderella's.

Yeah, we get 'Ohana twice on our trip. Can't wait.

• Can't get enough!

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post

(And what is the big deal with Beverly? What is it? Why is it so popular with you guys? I've seen it in quite a few TRs. Just wondering.)

Well, you've just got to try it
    words can't really explain

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

(And what is the big deal with Beverly? What is it? Why is it so popular with you guys? I've seen it in quite a few TRs. Just wondering.)
    Seriously, it's just the best drink EVER. You will want to buy a whole case of it before you leave EPCOT.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Seriously, it's just the best drink EVER. You will want to buy a whole case of it before you leave EPCOT.

Um, I think your horns are holding up that halo. LOL

• May the F=ma be with you

I must say that the ONLY reason why a fireworks show will be cancelled is if the crew was unable to load the show. This happens if there is lightening in the area.
    I am fairly sertain that IllumiNations had a 13 year run with 0 cancellations due to weather. I think that only within the last 5 or so years, there have been mybe 2 cancellations due to weather.
    If the weather allows, the show will go on with some modifications and eliminations of devices such as the seawall launchers. This happens often. Also, technical failures do occur often. For exampe, a couple of weeks ago, the Earth Barge failed to perform it's usual routine (I won't mention what just in case you haven't seen the show.) Also, there have been many instances when an entire half of the lagoon failed to perform as desired. In other words, two of the maxi barges and and some of the smaller barges just shut down at one point.

Wishes is very rarely cancelled as well. The only reason that it would be is the same as above; lightning prohibits the crew to load. In the case of wind, some of the low level, Fantasyland devices will not be used.

Therefore, it is extremely rare for a fireworks show to be cancelled. Delayed, maybe.

Oh, and, I do like Beverly. It is not that bad, just a little interesting and maybe unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Geoff London

Getting back on thread- it won't hurt to read a few guides - The Unofficial Guide to WDW, or Passporter to name but two. If you imagine DL x 6 then you get the idea of WDW. You won't be able to do everything. Be realistic. And schedule in somedown time too otherwise you'll exhaust yourself. A morning by the pool helps a lot!

Time wise - October, November and early December are good. Avoid July / August too many downpours and way too many schoolchildren!
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    That's so new it's not in my head at the hour I made my post. I was just thinking that M:S lost its.

And regarding Fireworks, they do get cancelled, but its nothing like how often they don't run at DL. I've been told RoE has only been cancelled twice and it did run for the 25th, just delayed - jimmybop and other MiceChatters were there.
    Actually, Dave was there and I was there (not together, but I know he mentioned that he was). I was more concerned with that nights wind than rain (so I was glad when it did go). I still can't imagine it being only stopped 2x in 10 or so years, because we do get some real wind/rain storms occasionally.

I've never been at Disneyland when they didn't run the fireworks. But I've been going to WDW for 30 years regularly, and only a handful of times to DL. So I've not much experience to speak from with DL. Though there are 3 times I can remember where Illuminations wouldn't have run - 9/11, Hurricanes Charley and Jeanne. That wouldn't include other inclement weather type days. Not that it matters, but we do get cancellations here too (I have no clue how often that would be, though I do remember inclement weather stopping MK fireworks as well).
    Last edited by nbodyhome; 10-12-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I can personally vouch for at least one IllumiNations cancellation, as I was there in the downpour when the announcement was made. It seemed as if it was really a relief to the crowd - we got to head immediately back to our rooms and start drying off!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I have another question. You've recommended early spring as a decent time to go. What about February? We want to go when there are no layovers, so that we can experience WDW in it's regular presentation. We may not get to make another trip. We have only so much vacation time, and so many other Disney resorts to hit up, cruises to take, European countries to visit... you get the idea.

Avoiding spring break can be a tricky thing, but I would assume that means staying away during late March, April and early May, same as out here? And, would crowds be decent during February?

It seems everyone else in my group is convinced that 7 days is enough, but I want to take 10 days, to factor in re-rides and the sort. But I just can't get them to agree with me. I realize we'll get to do the major shows and attractions, but I also want to do so many little things.

Again, your help is much appreciated.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I have another question. You've recommended early spring as a decent time to go. What about February? We want to go when there are no layovers, so that we can experience WDW in it's regular presentation. We may not get to make another trip. We have only so much vacation time, and so many other Disney resorts to hit up, cruises to take, European countries to visit... you get the idea.

Avoiding spring break can be a tricky thing, but I would assume that means staying away during late March, April and early May, same as out here? And, would crowds be decent during February?

It seems everyone else in my group is convinced that 7 days is enough, but I want to take 10 days, to factor in re-rides and the sort. But I just can't get them to agree with me. I realize we'll get to do the major shows and attractions, but I also want to do so many little things.

Again, your help is much appreciated.
    That is a great time of year to go, the crowds are light and the weather can be cool but refreshing in the evening. If you need some leverage to convince your friends, here is the typical amount of days I would alot if your doing the entire world:

2 days MK
    2 days EP
    1 day AK
    1 day MGM
    1 day for whatever

That's your 7 days, but if you arrive on the first and leave on the seventh day then to me you lose some time so if you pad it with the 10 days that leaves you open to hit other things besides the parks but 7 FULL days should do it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    That is a great time of year to go, the crowds are light and the weather can be cool but refreshing in the evening. If you need some leverage to convince your friends, here is the typical amount of days I would alot if your doing the entire world:

2 days MK
    2 days EP
    1 day AK
    1 day MGM
    1 day for whatever

That's your 7 days, but if you arrive on the first and leave on the seventh day then to me you lose some time so if you pad it with the 10 days that leaves you open to hit other things besides the parks but 7 FULL days should do it.
    Well, it turns out that I'm the only one that would be perfectly content only going to FL to go to WDW. Our trip will now include other parks in the area (Busch, Universal, possibly Sea World) and also a visit to our friends that live around there, too. So, the whole trip will be something more around 2 to 2 1/2 weeks, just not spent entirely at the World.

I personally would like to take at least 2 weeks at WDW so I could absolutely, positively, take my time doing the resort. But, alas, that will not happen. Now, if only I can convince them to try Beverly with me... maybe have a CM take a picture of our collective reaction to it?
    Last edited by dland_lover; 12-28-2007 at 11:55 PM.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Feb can be crowded due to school breaks. I always went around Halloween as the weather is nice and the crowds were small.

Resorts to stay at: Boardwalk Villas, Yacht Club, Wilderness Lodge and AK Lodge are my favorites. I have heard good things about Port Orleans also.

Restaurants: Jiko @ AK Lodge, Cape May Cafe @ Beach Club, Teppanyaki dining @ Japan pavillion, Coral Reef @ Future World EPCOT. I am probably the only person who won't recommend Ohana as I had a horrible experience the last time I ate there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast