Thread: Dining Question

• Minion

Dining Question

So we bought the DDP for our Oct. 17-22 trip and have a reservation for a luau at the Poly. Well, we're thinking of canceling that reservation. There are 4 of us and the luau takes 2 sit downs per person for a total of 8 sit downs.

Question is, if we cancel this luau, what are the odds that we could just walk in to a restaurant at MK or Epcot without an ADR and use those sit downs? I keep reading here and at other Disney sites how it's nearly impossible to do that and wanted to get some thoughts from folks here. Really don't want to lose those 8 sit downs...

Thanks in advance!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Dining Question

I would say that in the 10 times I have walked up and tried to get in somewhere, I was only turned away maybe twice. A CM told me once that certain restaurants have a certain # of walkin reservations, a certain # of reservations for Guest Relations and a certain # of call in reservations. She also told me that the walkins aren't every day but it's not unheard of that if you can't get in walking up that if you call the reservation line, they won't have something within 30 minutes either. I've done it and I've read where other people have done it.

So I say go for it, even if you walk up and they turn you away, call the dining line on your cell, you have to try all avenues because I get in more than I'm turned away.

• Minion

Thank you, Summer, for your info and opinion!

• Former CM

How about try calling for something else before cancelling the luau? You can try seeing what's available to be safe first.

Why on earth would you ever want to cancel the luau?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by erick13 View Post
    How about try calling for something else before cancelling the luau? You can try seeing what's available to be safe first.
    That's a fantastic idea that we'll look into tonight. Thanks!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Rainfully View Post

LOL

I don't think it was the show that did them in, I believe it was the amount of points in the DDP they had to use to see it.

Although I will agree, it is worth seeing and it's a great show.

• Minion

Actually, we don't. Someone else we're meeting there does. Long story...

• Too far from Disney World

When we were waiting to be seated at Le Cellier the hostess was helping another couple find a sit-down reservation for that day. Or you can ask at the front desk. There was an area at ours that helped with reservations, directions and all kinds of stuff. I'd see what's available first before you cancel and make sure you can get in somewhere.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Geoff London

Try and make an alternate ADR before you cancel. Walk ups can happen but do you really want to be stood around up to an hour waiting for a table? The Luau is brilliant so why should 7 miss it for the sake of the 8th? You said it's a long story so obviously there are complications........but I'd cover your options.
    Last edited by geoffa; 10-12-2007 at 11:39 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• We'll hold them at bay

it depends on the restaraunt you may have difficulty walking into Le Cellier for example
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    Try and make an alternate ADR before you cancel. Walk ups can happen but do you really want to be stood around up to an hour waiting for a table? The Luau is brilliant so why should 7 miss it for the sake of the 8th? You said it's a long story so obviously there are complications........but I'd cover your options.
    Sorry, I should clarify what's going on...

There are 4 people (some friends of ours) who don't want to go and 4 (my family and I) who do. Sort of ticks me off because we went out of our way to beg Disney Dining people to have this other family added to our existing reservation for 4 at the last minute. It's possible our friends didn't know we're on the DDP and that it would be a potential loss of sit downs if we canceled and couldn't use them anywhere else.

Anyway, no need to drag any Micechatters into that potential hornets nest. Just want you to know what's going on and why we're thinking of canceling. Personally, I'm leaning toward doing it anyway and if the other family doesn't show, then too bad for them. Thing is, they're good friends of my wife, so I don't know how much say I'll have in this...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Um... yeah... if your fam still wants to do it, then do it. Let them find a different place to eat!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I was deleted.

OH. MY. GOSH!! Rainfully!!! You're back!! I've missed you! I'm glad to see you back.

Pacha - I would also go with what erick and others have said, try to plan something BEFORE you cancel. If you call the dining reservations you can always book and at the END cancel your others. (That's what I've done.) You can also see what is available for the Boardwalk area as well if you can't get into Epcot since it's right behind it with the International Gateway. (You'd just have to factor in transportation back to the Poly with dining during Epcot hours, driving, or taking the bus to DTD and then to your resort from the Boardwalk.)

It could also make a difference for the size of your party and what's available. They book to the availability for your party size. If you have a party of 4 it might make a difference because they will put you at a 4 or 5 top table, but with a party of 2 they would put you at a 2 or 3 top table. So it couldn't hurt if you spit up also. Just sharing your options. I would say call, and call frequently. Also once you check in at the Poly you could see what they can do to help assist you as well.

• Minion

All's well that ends well...
    Canceled the 8PM luau and got 5PM reservations at Biergarten instead. After reviewing the menus for both places, I think the kids will like Biergarten better, and the time is much better for us as well.

Thanks again for all your good advice and hope to see some of you down there.