• addict.

WDW college program question....

okay... I got accepted into the WDW college program and Im going to school in TX. i was just wondering if anybody has experienced the program that could give me some good and bad points about it because im really unsure about going. i think whats getting to me the most is being away from friends and family

thank u
    "To all who come to this happy place... welcome."

"Aye... That be true."

• The Pirate Girl

Re: WDW college program question....

I haven't gone, but I'm hoping to go next semester. I've got a few friends that went last semester and had a BLAST. Though they did say that the people you work FOR can be kinda bad, but the people you work WITH are AMAZING. Also, he said it's a lot of fun to experience. Though you'll be away from friends and family, you'll make a lot more new friends and have a lot of fun.

Currently I'm awaiting a letter telling me whether I'll be accepted or not.

Congrats on being accepted!

• addict.

Thanky You!!! i hope u get it!
    well i hear nothing but good things about it... and ur absolutely right... i will be meeting new friends and thats always a plus!! let me know if u get it!!

"Aye... That be true."

• The Pirate Girl

You're welcome! And thank you!

I'll be sure to let you know!

It'd be fun to know someone else doing it before heading out if I get to go.

• white and nerdy

If the biggest thing you are worried about is being away from friends and family, I'd take the plunge and go.

You gotta leave home sometime, and what better way to do this than Disney World. Nearly everyone you encounter in the program will be in the same ship as you and you'll make some of the best friends you'll ever have. It's been nearly six years since I did the program and still keep in contact with my friends... hell, I even married one!

There are bad points to it, but really none that don't show up in any type of internship or educational situation. Yes, there are times you feel like a worthless cog in a mega corporation, but the nature of the program (the one-on-one time you spend with guests) has a tendency to make you feel like an important part of the Disney magic. They pay isn't great, but the benefits are pretty nice (total free access to the parks).

I wouldn't recommend it if you:
    • don't work with people well.
    • can't follow simple (or even stupid) rules. There are lots of seemingly nonsensical rules to follow.
    • don't know how to work in a job. Yes, you have to show up to your shifts. Yes you have to be on time. Yes you have to do your fare share of the work.
    • are easily disillusioned. Will seeing Snow White smoking on break ruin the Disney Magic for you?
    My experience was fantastic. My biggest complaints were:
    • ridiculous housing regulations.
    • clueless management.
    • Some sophomoric discrimination against my religion by management.
    • Various verbal attacks from union leaders.
    What I liked best about it:
    • Fantastic friendships.
    • The actual work was fun and stimulating (I was a merch. host)
    • free access to Disney World and discounts on just about everything in Florida.
    • Access to Disney insiders, tours, professionals and the like either in a professional or general interest.
    • Some management/veteran Cast Members are willing to help you out any way they can.
    • Plenty of hours (sometimes as much as you can stand) and as much overtime as you are willing to sign up for.
    Just go. Seriously go. Leave home, say goodbye to old friends and say hello to some new. You won't regret it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Make sure you read the rules and follow them. If you are under 21 do not be around alcohol. If you 21 or over do not have CM under 21 in your room with alcohol. The security firm that manages the apartments do not mess around. If you are found to have violated a rule you will terminated and will be kicked to the street the next day.
    If you do not bring your car they do provide buses to and from work and to walmart supercenter for shopping daily.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

When I went there was only Vista Way so keep that in mind with my response.

*Don't let your first impression of your roommates dictate how you are towards them. You have to live with them for quite a while. I actually thought one of my roommates was horrible and she is the only one I still keep in touch with. (she thought the same about me)

*I don't know what is taken out of paychecks now for rent but I found it extremely high.

*If something in your apartment bothers you (no cleaning, dishes piling up) talk about it instead of letting it well up inside you.

*Have fun. How many times will you get this experience?

Lastly, be warned. If you absolutely love it you may get hooked on being a CM!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by saraleshea View Post
    okay... I got accepted into the WDW college program and Im going to school in TX. i was just wondering if anybody has experienced the program that could give me some good and bad points about it because im really unsure about going. i think whats getting to me the most is being away from friends and family

thank u
    Be sure to read this thread - College Program. It is quite long, but over the past year a number of good questions and information has been shared.

The College Program is a great experience. Each participant does the program for their own reasons and quite possibly gaining experience and learning and living outside of your safety bubble back home might be one of them? Yes, being away can be difficult but it isn't forever either. I would say go for it and while you are there make the most of your days in Florida and at Disney by taking advantage of the events available to you.

Congrats on being accepted! Feel free to ask if you have any questions along the way. Also, may I ask what role you were accepted into and which school in Texas? I know some Campus Reps (alumni) from the program at some schools in Texas and they might be able to answer your school specific questions.

• addict.

thank u all for replying to my question! I really appreciate it great info and advice!

bigpigletfan- thanks again! i go to UT El Paso and my role is full service food and bev.

"Aye... That be true."