Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

New "T-Rex" Restaurant At Downtown Disney

Two life-size dinosaurs will grace the outside and dozens more robotic dinosaurs will decorate the interior of the T-Rex restaurant and store under construction at Downtown Disney.
    The restaurant, slated to open next fall in Downtown Disney's Marketplace section, will be the second in a new chain designed by Steven Schussler, who created Rainforest Cafe, and developed in partnership with Landry's Restaurants. The 30,000-square-foot project, much larger than the Kansas City, Kan., prototype, will include a cocktail bar, a 3,500-square-foot retail shop and enough educational and entertaining decor to qualify as an attraction, Schussler said.
    "We've got over 35 different dinosaurs on the inside, a quarter of a million dollars in fossils embedded in the men's room and ladies' room, with educational comments so you can learn about them. Most of that stuff in there is literally 45 [million to] 80 million years old," Schussler said.
    Soure: Orlando Sentinel

Re: New "T-Rex" Restaurant At Downtown Disney

That sounds really cool. I already love rainforrest cafe. Dang it! Now I'm gonna have to choose between the two. They are still keeping rainforrest, right? Do know yet what kind of food they are planning to serve? Probably similar to rainforrest cafe food. I can't wait.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I saw the construction walls finally up this past weekend. I might check it out once after its open just to say I did.

• Banned User

Yes, I was at DTD this afternoon and got to see firsthand the beginning of this project. The restaurant will be located next to McDonalds and the woodsy area where the Valet Parking kiosk used to be. A good quarter of that parking lot is also going to make room for the new T-Rex restaurant.. which is odd since that is a prime parking area, close to the shops and dinning.. Oh well.

If you look from Raglan's, you can see the construction across the waterway separating PI from the parking lot.

This is a design concept of the restaurant as shown on the construction fence.

Sign announcing the restaurant "coming summer 2008".

Another design concept of the restaurant, which appears to be of the main entrance to either a gift shop or the restaurtant itself, with a water fall on it.. but the design is so generic that this may not be what it appears to be.

I sure hope they pull this off. I personally do not care much for the quality of the Rainforrest Cafe food, and I believe the same company might be in charge of this new eatery... so, those dino AAs better be Disney quality or else, I won't bother much with this new place. Personally, I wish they had built this inside DAK's Dinoland, intead of that "Yeekeeteeyak" restaurant in Asia.

• Little Miss Sunshine

TDL fan -

I almost went there yesterday, but it was still pouring out (I've been asked about the project lately and getting photos).

I don't like Rainforest, so we'll see how this one goes!

How was AK?
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

Well... I only made it to the parking lot, at which time I found out the MC kids had left already, but I understand DAK was very crowded and hot in the daytime.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Well... I only made it to the parking lot, at which time I found out the MC kids had left already, but I understand DAK was very crowded and hot in the daytime.
    That is too bad. I thought they were staying late, since it was EMH (I think?) tonight.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

It was not EMK and there was no safari at dusk.. I think all of that has been changed to wednesday instead.

• Little Miss Sunshine

It was not EMK and there was no safari at dusk.. I think all of that has been changed to wednesday instead.
    I am not going back until Friday, so I hadn't realized that. Sorry you missed them at AK.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I am not going back until Friday, so I hadn't realized that. Sorry you missed them at AK.
    It's OK. They'll get over it.

• Banned User

ok does DTD really need another restaurant with aa's? I have to admit I have eaten at rainforest cafe several times and it's been hit or miss but really this restaurant doesn't seem THAT different. now if they closed the rainforest cafe at DTD and kept t-rex that would make sense but to have two similar restaurants run by the same company so close together... not sure who came up with that marketing plan but don't think it's gonna work.

• Disneyholic

I agree I just don't see the two working outside of peak travel times. Now had they done one INSIDE of AK in Dinoland that would have made a lot more sense to me... The park would get a much needed full seat eatery and it would fit into the theme. DTD is just getting junked up.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Banned User

In fairness.. WDW's DTD has been junky since DLR opened theirs... The difference between the east and west coast DTDs is quite apparent in look and feel.

• Disneyholic

I sure hope they pull this off. I personally do not care much for the quality of the Rainforrest Cafe food, and I believe the same company might be in charge of this new eatery... so, those dino AAs better be Disney quality or else, I won't bother much with this new place. Personally, I wish they had built this inside DAK's Dinoland, intead of that "Yeekeeteeyak" restaurant in Asia.
    From what I have been told its owned and operated by the same parent company as RFC and the menu items at other TRex restaurants are very similar but the names of the menu items have been changed... Thats why I have such trouble wrapping my head around the location... Unless they have built a tunnel and the RFC's kitchen is servicing both restaurants.

I like the RFC but since there's one 2 miles up the road now its kinda lost its luster...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

In fairness.. WDW's DTD has been junky since DLR opened theirs... The difference between the east and west coast DTDs is quite apparent in look and feel.
    Yeah ... Anaheim's feels like a cool, relaxing, garden zone ... WDW's feels like an overdeveloped shopping area.

as to T-Rex`... it is simply a RC themed to Dinos ... from Landry's Resturants, which own and operate RC and soon Yak and Yeti ... as well as dozens of chains nationwide and in the Orlando area (Joe's Crab Shack, Landry's Seafood House etc...)

It's for the stroller brigade and I'm sure they'll flock to it.

You can find me at Captain Jack's if they don't close it first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast