Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

Robbery At Downtown Disney

Early Thursday morning, two people sitting on a bench at Disney's Pleasure Island were robbed at gun point.
    The victim's weren't able to give police a good description because both men were wearing Halloween masks. Orange County deputies said a couple was trying to get some quiet time alone at Pleasure Island when two men came up to them and pointed a gun in their face.
    The man and woman were sitting on a bench on the back side of the entertainment venue around 2:00 Thursday morning. One of the men was wearing a 'joker' or clown-like Halloween mask while the other was wearing a plain black ski mask.
    The two suspects demanded everything the couple had. The man gave up his wallet and $25. Deputies found the empty wallet in another part of Pleasure Island.
    The Orange County Sheriff's Office said that they haven't heard of any other Halloween related crimes Wednesday night.
    Source: WFTV Channel 9 News

Re: Robbery At Downtown Disney

Wow, sad...not only that those people were robbed, but that a news organization can honestly write "victim's" instead of "victims" (sorry, for this former English major, that's a crime too ).

Honestly though, it's certainly disturbing. The article doesn't say, but I'm wondering if the people were locals? If so, why were they sitting in presumably a secluded space at 2am on a Thursday morning (Halloween night?).

How shall we interpret "Trying to get some quiet time," also...a bit discreet, no?

Sorry, I don't mean to trivialize this. I'd like to see the full story on this (I suppose it'll probably be updated later). Scary...
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Little Miss Sunshine

Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Circle of Ancients

Would this even be news if it didn't happen at DtD? I mean, seriously. I'm sure this same scenario is repeated in Orlando many times a day.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Would this even be news if it didn't happen at DtD? I mean, seriously. I'm sure this same scenario is repeated in Orlando many times a day.
    News - probably yes. But not big news.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Would this even be news if it didn't happen at DtD?
    News Alert - parking ticket issued near the Walt Disney World Resort...more at 6.

"When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres2006 View Post
    News Alert - parking ticket issued near the Walt Disney World Resort...more at 6.

Ha.

Seriously, there are too many people who forget about safety once they get to Disney. The one good thing about the news reports is that it reminds people that they should take care wherever they are. I've read too many message board posts over the years that say things like "I leave my expensive jewelry laying all over the bed, it's Disney!"

A news report said it was an off-duty CM, not too much other info. I feel bad for them, it shouldn't really happen anywhere (Disney or otherwise).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Circle of Ancients

Of course I feel bad for them. And yes, it's always good to watch your surroundings and be careful. EVEN at Disney.

Oh no, I definitely agree that people need to be careful anywhere, including WDW. With safety issues, and also with property...I'm always amazed when I see strollers and wheelchairs left with bags of expensive merchandise, even cameras or camcorders, outside attractions just begging to be stolen. Vacations should be relaxing, but you always need to act sensibly and be aware of your surroundings.

I was just picking on how the local news jumps and and sometimes inflates situations to tie them to WDW (which in this case, it obviously was in WDW...I'm going in circles - you know what I mean ).

I'm not heartless....just bogged down with homework

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres2006 View Post

I was just picking on how the local news jumps and and sometimes inflates situations to tie them to WDW (which in this case, it obviously was in WDW...I'm going in circles - you know what I mean ).

I am more concerned about bad drivers than armed robbers, that to me is a bigger danger. I nearly had the back end of my car taken off by a rogue super store truck driver yesterday (I still need to contact them) on my way to Disney. My having an accident on the way there is a much bigger threat than my being robbed upon arrival.

I thought the last spate of Downtown Disney reports was blown out of proportion. And even if you had an armed guard for each guest, and cameras everywhere - you just can't guarantee that nothing will happen. The odds are low, though. The news certainly doesn't take time out each day to say "there were no armed robberies and no attraction incidents today".
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

I would'nt want to be hanging around DTD at that time of night when i go in december, i think the boats from POFQ stop running at 11pm anyway and that is late enough for me, i would only stay out later at the parks. This is the second incident i have heard of like this in a few months and it always seems to happen over at West Side/Pleasure Island area.

I am sorry to hear about your car accident Denise, i hope you are ok.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

In a secluded area at 2am wanting "quiet time". Yeah. You know what they were doing.

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    In a secluded area at 2am wanting "quiet time". Yeah. You know what they were doing.
    Baking clams?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    Baking clams?
    They were looking for wabbits. Afterall, you have to be vewy, vewy quiet in order to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Thery can blame this on Disney Greed. Ever since they stopped charging at the entrances to PI they have more problems than before. They need to go back to closing off the entrances. Of course that won't happen because of the revenue loss. Of course the best part is more people bring their own alcohol since you can walk from one end to the other of DTD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast