Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DDE email

• Another trip down I-4

DDE email

From the Disney Dining Experience Email: "We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support."

Does this apply to even counter service? I'd hope not!

Upgraded Disney Dining Experience Process & New Tip Policy at WDW

I just received the email below. It sounds like everyone will be forced to tip 18% on all meals regardless of DDP, DDE, or cash. Is that what everyone else reads? I guess thet are doing this because they pulled tips out of DDP???
    I think this will lead to poor service since the servers know what they are getting.

Greetings from the Disney Dining Experience Team!

As 2008 quickly approaches, you will begin to see some exciting new developments for the Disney Dining Experience Membership Program. You asked and we listened! Effective November 11, 2007, you will no longer have to wait 3  6 weeks to receive your permanent membership card(s).

Guest Relations locations at Epcot., MAGIC KINGDOM. Park, DISNEYS ANIMAL KINGDOM. Theme Park, Disney-MGM Studios, DOWNTOWN DISNEY. West Side, and DOWNTOWN DISNEY. Marketplace will now be able to print permanent Disney Dining Experience membership cards for immediate use. This service is designed for existing and new members. Cards produced at the Guest Relations locations will be printed on paper stock similar to the annual pass tickets.

The Disney Dining Experience office will still be available to take applications for current and new members, via the phone, fax or mail for those who do not want to take advantage of the in-park service. Membership cards ordered through the Disney Dining Experience office will be received within 2 - 3 weeks of purchase.

All Guests who have ordered their Disney Dining Experience membership cards prior to November 11, 2007 date will have to pickup their temporary cards at the main entrance Epcot. Guest Relations. Your permanent card will be sent through the mail and arrive in 3-4 weeks from the date of purchase.
    We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World. Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support.

Cheers!

The Disney Dining Experience Team
    Robert
    DisneyRunning.com
    DisneyRunning.com Forum
    Going for Goofy #4 in 09

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Upgraded Disney Dining Experience Process & New Tip Policy at WDW

From everything I understand, the 18% applied gratuity is DDE only. And the mail you received looks like it's only talking about DDE as well.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Walt Disney World. Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size.
    Fine with me. I always leave 20% or more. So they are saving me money But the tip is a way of letting the staff know if they did a good job or not. So if you don't get good service and they force you to leave an 18% tip, time to ask for a manager and register a complaint. Hopefully people WILL speak to a manager when they have issues. Hearing from the customer is one of the best ways for a restaurant to know if they have a problem.

Disney may have done this because many foreign visitors don't know how to tip. They may also have done this so they wouldn't need to give a raise to their servers Either way, its easier for me.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

It says across property, but it may also just be the DDE.

I think that's fine for the DDE as we will generally will tip whatever we saved (20%) and then some. But I'm sure there are people on the DDE who don't tip well.

The question though is, is the 18% based on the before discount price or once the discount is applied?

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It says across property, but it may also just be the DDE.

I think that's fine for the DDE as we will generally will tip whatever we saved (20%) and then some. But I'm sure there are people on the DDE who don't tip well.

The question though is, is the 18% based on the before discount price or once the discount is applied?
    I am sure the 18% will be pre-discount. And as Dusty says, I probably will end up tipping less because I often tip more than 18%! (on the pre-discount price). But, I am sure many people tip on the discounted amount.

I do believe it's only DDE, though I think the group applied gratuity is going from 8 to 6 now (on cash, DDP, etc. - everyone). So 6 people would be a group.

I also would let a manager know if I had bad service (to take the gratuity off). Fortunately, I've had only a few instances over the years of really terrible service. Actually, only one REALLY bad. I ended up getting a certificate for 2 free meals at Artist Point (about 10 years ago) due to that one.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Re: DDE email

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    From the Disney Dining Experience Email: "We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support."

Since when did a added tip , WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO REFLECT SERVICE LEVEL, become mandatory. In other words it reads, because we underpay food service workers, we have decided to make it mandatory that the guests subsidize their salary".

Well, in my case the joke is on them, because I am normally a pretty generous tipper (based on good service of course) and most of the time its upwards of 20%. Now it will be a flat 18%

And yes, I know why they are doing this, because of the change to the DDP. Just an other example of how the DDP is totaly screwing up dining at WDW resort.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleKicks View Post

I'm sure just table service. This isn't really news, it was announced after the union vote. And as I mentioned in the other DDE thread, I believe groups are now considered 6 instead of 8. That doesn't matter as far as DDE, but for anyone else - the tip will be applied in that case too.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, in my case the joke is on them, because I am normally a pretty generous tipper (based on good service of course) and most of the time its upwards of 20%. Now it will be a flat 18%
    Yep, me too. I guess it saves me 2%.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Yep, me too. I guess it saves me 2%.
    For me too! I usually give back the 20% in the tip, sometimes a little more.

So we are all getting a little extra in our pockets.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Yep, count me in the tip more than 20% group. The discount I was always grateful for so I could give the tip in difference, I guess that doesn't matter anymore. LOL

I guess it won't be a big deal to add more of a tip, but I'll have to make sure to do the math now when I go to check out.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

This new move really pisses me off! It's taking what should be MY decision out of my hands. And now waiters have no incentive to provide great service, as their tip with the DDE is now included. Very bad move on Disney's part.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Sadly this is per the new Union Contract. So this is really out of the hands of the normally descion makers.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    This new move really pisses me off! It's taking what should be MY decision out of my hands. And now waiters have no incentive to provide great service, as their tip with the DDE is now included. Very bad move on Disney's part.
    Sure they do. Just make sure if you get bad service you get a manager.

IMO, this could effect bad service more than just getting a bad tip.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    Sadly this is per the new Union Contract. So this is really out of the hands of the normally descion makers.
    And as I recall, this was a concession for Disney taking away the guaranteed tips with the DDP. I do think that will hurt the servers a lot. I talked with a server over a year ago, and he said that he was doing VERY well with the DDP. Some people would give a full tip in addition. Can you imagine, a 36% tip on meals? He told me what he made, it was claiming like 80k last year for working at a character buffet.

I think a lot of people will feel they already paid enough with the DDP and won't tip, or not much.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast