Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Question about hotel souvenier mugs

Has anyone bought one of those souvenier mugs that you can get refills on in certain hotel food courts? I noticed that they are the same mug everywhere you go (I speak of the one with the YOAMD logo). If I bought one would I be able to get away with using it at a different place from the one I bought it at in a later time, or do they have ways of knowing?
    Last edited by toonaspie; 12-02-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Disneyholic

Re: about hotel souvenier mugs

Sorry, We have not purchased them since they went to the uniform design. But as I recall there was no device in place to prevent your use of them. In fact back when we went several times a year and stayed at the same resort we would take the mugs back and reuse them and we were never challenged.

Blizzard beach has bar codes that I assume they change regularly that you have to swipe to "unlock" the machines but I have not seen any effort to replicate that technology anywhere else, so if he mugs are the same everywhere I would say you probably could get away with it. The soda mix to fill the mugs probably costs at most $0.12 so I don't think they really are concerned about a few casual reuses, they made their profit on the sale of the mug.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

I haven't bought one with the YOAMD logo on but i bought one several years ago from All Star Music when they all had the name of the Resort on that you bought them at and i used to see people with mugs from other Resorts there using them all the time and nobody said anything to any of them that i saw.
    If they are all the same now i'm guessing that you can use them anywhere, i am going to buy one when i go next month as they do save a lot of money in drinks.

You absolutely can use your mug all over. They went to a standardized design because its cheaper (of course) and so many people (like myself) are returning with old mugs because we were told when we purchased them that we could, that there really is no policy.

You'll likely hear from some anal folks here that you're stealing soda ... you aren't. If you pay your $13.99 or whatever they cost now at Port Orleans, it matters not if you use it at Pop Century.

• I lurk, therefore I am.

On a slightly tangential note - When I was in WDW in '05, I met a couple at EPCOT who were using the same Rose & Crown half-yards that they had purchased years earlier, & they were still getting discounted refills. The wife and I are already planning to pack ours next time we go.

• Yes?

I am so disappointed they are using the YOMD mug at all the resorts. I have a mug from almost every resort. It has been my standard souvenier for a few years. I am not one to buy t-shirts and plush every time I go to WDW because I go often, but the mugs were a nice way to remember each resort. I hope they bring back the resort specific mugs after YOMD is done with. And to answer the original question, I always bring my mugs back with me and have seen many others doing the same on recent visits. They stand out more now since the use of the boring YOMD mugs but nobody stops anyone from filling them.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Disneyholic

Well Queenie, you can always buy the YOAMD sharpie and write the resort name and date on the mug....

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Well Queenie, you can always buy the YOAMD sharpie and write the resort name and date on the mug....
    Oh yeah....that's very magical.
    am I the burrito man?

• Disneyholic

Oh no the Magic is when you realize they only have one color marker per resort and you have to stay at all of them to get the full set...

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Oh no the Magic is when you realize they only have one color marker per resort and you have to stay at all of them to get the full set...
    am I the burrito man?

• Banned User

we take our epcot mugs every time we go and fill them up at the electric umbrella. no one ever says anything. actually a favorite for my kids is to fill the mugs with icees at the contemporary.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I have never used the couple of mugs I do have enough to make them worth the cost in beverages, though I like the mugs themselves. It is a shame they have all the same design now, I LIKED that they were unique souvenirs from the resorts.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    If you pay your $13.99 or whatever they cost now at Port Orleans, it matters not if you use it at Pop Century.
    Do they not state on the mug when you purchase it that it's good for that resort only, and only for your current stay? Or did they remove this policy?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Do they not state on the mug when you purchase it that it's good for that resort only, and only for your current stay? Or did they remove this policy?

When I bought it a couple weeks ago at Port Orleans, I believe there was a note that said that somewhere.... but I'm sure that if you return and they STILL use the same mugs... who's going to tell you to buy a new one? Probably nobody.

At Port Orleans French Quarters, the soda fountains are separate from the ordering and paying for the food so nobody is really monitoring it either.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Now they do. For years, the CM's would say to bring back the resort mugs for free future refills. I'm curious as to why Disney would make it even easier to take soda anywhere, though people fill up pretty much anything at the fountains (even if they've never bought a mug).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast