Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Will It Ever Stop? The Slamming of How Magic Kingdom can't compare to Disneyland?

No, it won't.

When management spends way more money on Magic Kingdom, and it is far better than Disneyland, the Disneyland geeks will moan and moan about how crappy Disneyland is compared to Magic Kingdom, and why can't their park be like Magic Kingdom. When Disneyland is far better than Magic Kingdom, as it is now, the Disneyland geeks will moan about how crappy Magic Kingdom is, and how they are glad Disneyland isn't like it.
    See what I'm saying?
    Disneyland fans will always moan, they will just take different slants.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• out & about

Re: Will It Ever Stop? The Slamming of How Magic Kingdom can't compare to Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck
    Will It Ever Stop? The Slamming of How Magic Kingdom can't compare to Disneyland?

No... it won't ever stop (not as long as there is imagination left in the world).
    Last edited by WRDup; 11-25-2007 at 11:44 AM.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    No, it won't.

When management spends way more money on Magic Kingdom, and it is far better than Disneyland, the Disneyland geeks will moan and moan about how crappy Disneyland is compared to Magic Kingdom, and why can't their park be like Magic Kingdom.
    No, we act like this a little bit buy mostly the way us Disneylanders react in this this situation is to get all p***ed off at management for neglecting our park and letting it go to waste.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I enjoy noticing the differences and appreciating them. And if it takes someone bitching about some comparative inferiority, so be it. It's not like I'll choose not to visit a park because someone said another park is better.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• "I Break Things"

Here is a reverse perspective that I offer on this. Whenever attractions are cloned, and then added to Disneyland or DCA (California Adventure) tourists who are used to WDW automatically compare those attractions to WDW. This is one of many reasons I hate carbon copies. At the same time, existing attractions, shows, shops, and buildings that are in both parks also draw an automatic comparison. I have never been to WDW, but I would enjoy going just for the experience. I just wanted to point out that if you build similar things that people will automatically compare them, and if they are partial to one then they will usually find fault with the other... regardless of if they are pro WDW, pro Disneyland, pro Paris, pro HK, or pro Tokyo.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

you don't get many of our " clones" but we get lots of yours. oh and lest everyone forget, Walt may have not actually been the disney to build WDW but he designed it and everything in it. one of the cool things about Mk and DL is that even the same attractions are different. the jungle cruise, mansion, pirates, to name just afew. they each have different elements in them. the only thing I lament about MK is that the rides seem to all be shorter but that could be my perception and not the actual truth.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

People compare and contrast, it's just how it is. God forbid someone who is a Disneyland person (which I am since I live here in SoCal) find anything they like in a park that's Disneyland-esque.

I love the MK for what it is, the MK! It wasn't built to be Disneyland. Yes it was built in it's likeness, but it's different. And different is good.

So to those that feel the need to complain that the MK isn't as good as DL, try to find something NICE about it and find the positives, instead of focusing on the things you dislike. Or THINK you might dislike regardless of whether you've been there or not.

And hey, MK still has their PeopleMover. I'm just sayin'.

• Minion

ORDDU: You know, Olympicnut, duckling, I wish you'd been along with me on my last date the other night because all this advice you just gave--about accepting something for what it is without all the constant comparing to something that's supposedly 'better'--would have come in most handy. The man I tried to be with was just no fun at all! In truth he was down right RUDE--daring to mention the idea that I might not be up to HIS standards, considering that the witch he'd been out with the week before (I think he said her name was Glinda) was so much more elegant and attractive than I was! Can you believe such a thing??? It actually hurt my feelings to be compared in that way!! Why can't men accept a witch--along with their theme parks--just the way they are at the moment???

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    I love the MK for what it is, the MK! It wasn't built to be Disneyland. Yes it was built in it's likeness, but it's different.
    Nice way of putting it. Alas some of the changes (POTC is always a top-o-the-pile comparison) were for the worse... while others were for the better.

So to those that feel the need to complain that the MK isn't as good as DL, try to find something NICE about it and find the positives, instead of focusing on the things you dislike. Or THINK you might dislike regardless of whether you've been there or not.
    I think the trip reports speak for themselves.. even with DL right around the corner, many still travel to WDW. If it were so terrible, obviously people (in the know, no less) still find it worth it to goto WDW.

And a better one at that! Though the track is better in DL

I think as you said... MK was not intended to only be a DL v2.0. It was built, and then the WDW concept was very different from DL leading to the two to diverge even further.

For every positive difference, I'm sure there are plenty of negative differences. Fantasmic's use of the Columbia and Mark Twain are positives... totally taking over NOS and the Frontierland area every night... not so good. etc etc etc
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disneyland Grandee

That and the CoP, are all the more reasons to keep going back!

As a D-lander, I've been fortunate enough to go to WDW and DLP multiple times. I love all the parks for what they have to offer . . . including all the differences. If the parks were all the same there would be no reason to see the other parks and want to keep going back.

So there Micoofy Duck, don't lump all us D-landers together as one.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

People compare and contrast, it's just how it is. God forbid someone who is a Disneyland person (which I am since I live here in SoCal) find anything they like in a park that's Disneyland-esque.

I love the MK for what it is, the MK! It wasn't built to be Disneyland. Yes it was built in it's likeness, but it's different. And different is good.

Well said Matt. There are some things I like about both WDW-MK and
    DL. DL is better in some aspects and WDW-MK is more appealing in
    others. Someone did a series of articles comparing of the various
    Disney Magic Kingdoms worldwide, and another series of articles comparing
    non Magic Kingdome Disney parks. It was one of the most balanced
    reports comparring the parks that I've seen (did Kevin Yee write these?)

Personally, I like DL over WDW-MK. Adventureland
    is better themed, Toontown appears more permanent than WDW's toontown
    fair, However I do think WDW's Tomorrowland is still superior to DL's TL,
    as DL's TL is still recovering from the TL '98 hangover. I like DL's smaller,
    quaiter main street, but I like the larger castle in WDW-MK and that it's
    Main Street can accomodate larger floats. I like that DL was Walt's orignal,
    and that Walt was and remain a part of DL, with his apartment, that Walt
    walked on this main street, and through this castle. DL has Fantasmic,
    a better Pirates, Space Mt, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Matterhorn, the
    original TikiRoom, Mr. Toad, Small World Holiday, DL has MANY more attractions than DL. However WDW MK does have Country Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, a more interesting looking exterior to the Haunted Mansion, etc. And I do like the distance between attractions at DL
    is much less than at WDW. DL being smaller does tend to become more
    crowded, than WDW, but WDW seems less personal.

So, I think DL is better than WDW-MK in most respects.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    No park is better. No park is worse. The original is Disneyland in Anaheim -- not trying to sound conceited, just stating a fact. All the others are variations. Much like Rachmaniov's "Variations On A Theme By Paganini" or Mozar'ts "Variations On Ah vous dirais-je, Maman", this is Disney's "Variations On A Theme By Walt Disney." The variations are all different from the original but together they all make up a wonderful piece of music and artistry.

You go, girl!
    Oh, please, I can't stand that kind of PC crap. Not everything
    is equal, nor are Disney Magic Kingdoms. One park can be better
    than the other, just weigh out the variables.

• Banned User

I grew up on MK and thought I would hate DL as I didn't think it could live up to MK. Boy was I wrong. I had avoided going to DL until last year, and in one year, I have been to DL 7 times. (I live in Colorado, so going to either is about the same airfare). We still go to WDW for 8 days each year, because that trip requires more time to do all of the parks. DL is an easy long weekend trip for us.

Don't get me wrong, I still love MK for so many reasons, but overall, DL has much more character than DL (in my opinion). The people (to me) seem friendlier and are not there for a once in a lifetime trip and feeling the need to commando the parks and drag their hot, tired children further than necessary (like I see in MK each year). The hotels are closer, so it's easier to take breaks during the day. (the hotels are about as far from the turnstiles as it is to walk to where the onsite busses are in MK).

People at DL seem to say "excuse me" if they bump into you, and there seems to be less people accepting of their children destroying the park. I don't see trash all over the place and I see people offering to share their table with strangers at counter service restaurants when tables are full. I have NEVER seen that at MK. It just seems, "cozier" to me. Like you are there with 20k family members for the most part.

Both parks are definitely magical, and each has its own charm, but, those are my reasons for preferring DL to MK as individual parks overall. DL is just much more relaxed (in my opinion).

p.s. I could never give up seeing COP or Philharmagic though

p.s.s I totally agree with all of your "land" comparisons Aladdin
    Last edited by Pastafarian; 11-25-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: read Aladdin's post that went up while i was posting

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    No park is better. No park is worse.
    Says you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    oh and lest everyone forget, Walt may have not actually been the disney to build WDW but he designed it and everything in it.
    No, he didn't. Walt Disney was completely disinterested in Disneyland East. The roof plan of what would become the Magic Kingdom in the "EPCOT film" (also at One Man's Dream) is just Disneyland's roof plan. The Magic Kingdom was there to make the investors happy and provide financial support for EPCOT. The idea that what opened in 1971 and since was the hand of Walt Disney was originally perpetuated by "good reliable, dull, unimaginative, and above all, a money man" Roy.

The one thing that first must be passed is that this is a Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom discussion. Fat too often Walt Disney World gets dragged into this type of discussion and provides much more punch against Disneyland. Disneyland has earned its place as a major attraction while the Magic Kingdom has used the rest of the resort while being lifted to prominence over Disneyland.

Oh ... this is way too juicy a thread to not chime in and add my thoughts yet again.

The MK was my first Disney park. I loved it (still do). It was the park I grew up in. That said, it has now become a mass market characture of DL. Sure, it's still fun ... and there are signs of improvement (finally) with the GREAT new Mansion redo on the heels of the wonderful Small World redo. It's nice to finally see more seasonal decorations and entertainment etc ...but ... I can't help but think (as someone who has AP's to WDW, DL and DLP -- and will be visiting the Asian MKs this spring) that overall, the MK has been watered down to such an extent that if it weren't for EPCOT, DAK, the resorts and water parks, I'd not be spending much time at the MK even living just a three hour plus drive or 22-minute flight away.

Last June, I got to experience DLP, DL and MK all in one month's time. I couldn't help but feeling that after spending time at Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's that I was at SuperWalMart when I entered the MK.

And, no, it wasn't that way for the park's first quarter century.

• Don't Panic

Well, someone finally said it.

I usually just roll my eyes and mumble "lighten up," but hey, everyone else is talking about it...

every time i read a trip report or someone's take on DL or MK, I tend to notice that many times, it seems to be the WDWers who are more open-minded while the DLers.....aren't.

As I try to say to everyone who starts a "Longtime DLer finally going to WDW" thread where they ask if they are really going to be that disappointed in MK...Go with an open mind!!! They are two totally different parks! One was designed before the other, so what? Walt used what worked, and the Disneyland Formula worked.

Its a fact of life that MK (and WDW in general) is going to be "dirtier" so to speak. There will be more gum under the tables, more random trash thrown in random places, more places that need paint, more "graffiti," and most likely more visitors who aren't very polite.
    WDW is more of a vacation spot than DL. So you're going to get more families from more varied backgrounds all being packed into the space of these parks.
    (and just to throw this out there, anyone who visits any park once, and especially at a very busy time of year has no right to comment on the 'cleanliness' of the park trash wise. The fact is, when there are lots of guests coming at the same time, CMs are less likely to clean certain things because people will continue to do it regardless. Example: my family and I visited DL a few years ago right around new years. We were walking through the Splash Mountain line and noticed a pole that was covered in gum. By our third day, which was around the 2nd or 3rd of January, after many people had left for home, it was clean.)

where was I......oh yeah,
    c'mon people, DL forum or not, I don't tell you how much better groomed and better looking you are than your younger brother (especially in front of his friends!)
    ------

------

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast