Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Partner Site

Walt Disney World During the Holiday Season

I would like to hear your comments about WDW if you have ever been during the holiday season. Below is my weekly blog on my website:

December is approaching and Walt Disney World transforms itself into a Winter Wonderland in the middle of Central Florida. Decorations have been up at all the parks and resorts since the early part of November. If you have visited Walt Disney World before, but never during the Christmas season, you are in for a real treat.

Disney offers holiday events at each park and most of the resorts. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom, The Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, which occupies The Streets of America at Disney-MGM Studios, and the Candlelight Processional held at Epcot are some of Disney’s major holiday offerings. The parks are decorated with garland, trees, ornaments, and everything and anything pertaining to Christmas. During Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, there is even snow on Main Street USA!

All the characters are outfitted in holiday attire as well as the Cast Members. Each resort gets into the holiday spirit with decorations and activities that are not to be missed. The Grand Floridian has a house made out of Gingerbread which is large enough to have room for a store inside which sells all sorts of cookies and candies. At the Boardwalk and Beach Club, there is a large Carousel and a train. Both of which feature hidden Mickey’s on them and the Carousel is even made of gingerbread and cookies!

Each park is also different during the day and night. During the day, you can see all of the decorations very clearly and it helps set the holiday mood for your tour of the park. But the real action comes at night. Each park it light up with sparkling and shimmering lights, that you would have a hard time believing you are in the same place as earlier in the day.

The difficult part about going during this season is that there is SO MUCH to do, sometimes you feel like you don’t even have time for the rides and shows. It truly is a unique experience and if you are a Disney fan, you should try to schedule a vacation during this time. Now with that being said, the earlier part of December is the best time to go. You will have just missed the Thanksgiving Day rush and many others will be waiting for Christmas Week through New Years Day to come down to WDW. If you can go sometime in between those two times, you will be able to experience everything but with less crowds.

The weather during this time is hit or miss. We have been there when the highs have reached the 80’s, and have been there when the lows have been in the 20’s. The best rule of thumb is to pack for the cold and always take layers off as needed.

All in all this is my favorite time of the year. The atmosphere is unbelievable and Disney has done it’s best to make their guests forget they are in Florida.

• Back to WDW soon!!!!!!!!!

Re: What Disney World During the Holiday Season

Reading that has just got me even more exited than i was before about my upcoming trip in just 15 days

• MiceChat Partner Site

Have you been during this time before? I cannot wait either. We have less than a month ago and it cannot get here too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Peak Seasons View Post
    Have you been during this time before? I cannot wait either. We have less than a month ago and it cannot get here too soon.
    Yes, we have been twice for christmas before but it was several years ago we were last there for christmas.
    Our last trip to WDW was 8 years ago so we are well overdue for a Disney holiday, i am counting down the days!.
    Have a great trip when you go

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I went once the day after Thanksgiving about 10 years ago. I remember some of the Christmas decorations, but not much else. That day was a total whirlwind.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I went once the day after Thanksgiving about 10 years ago. I remember some of the Christmas decorations, but not much else. That day was a total whirlwind.
    The decorations went up SO early this year. I think too early in some cases. I'd love to see them go up closer to mid-November, and I wouldn't mind if the Lights of Winter and CP started that early too. It'd be nice if everything started together, or close to it.

Early December is so much busier than it once was, but that will change at some point (when the economy fluctuates downward again). The week before T-giving this year was wonderful, I had a great time hanging out in World Showcase just over a week ago.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I leave in just 10 days. I have never been during this time, and I am very excited about all of the holiday festivites. I know that I will enjoy my 6 days in the parks, and will probably return to Chicago both tired and very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I leave in just 10 days. I have never been during this time, and I am very excited about all of the holiday festivites. I know that I will enjoy my 6 days in the parks, and will probably return to Chicago both tired and very happy.
    Have a good trip!
    Tell us all about it when you get back, after you have had a good rest!, being at Disney is very tiring but so enjoyable it's worth being tired for!.
    Whenever i get home from a Disney holiday i always have jet lag for about 3 days!.

My family is going to Magic Kingdom December 17th (Monday) and 22nd (Saturday). We would like to try all the rides, could skip most shows, but would like to see SpectroMagic once, the 3pm parade once, and the fireworks on the last night. I am very worried about the lines. Can anybody tell me if i'm justified in my worries of enormous crowds and give me some idea of what the average wait time might be on busy rides, moderate rides, and low line rides? Plus, does anyone have tips for planning to see most everything in these two days? Thanks greatly! P.S. Does anyone know if we should expect Blizzard Beach to be busy Wednesday the 19th?

• Minna Mouse

new to this forum, but our trip is in 25 days. Any advice for the holiday? Anything I should not miss?

• DVC - BLT/BWV/BCV/VWL/VGC

We're leaving this Saturday morning and are very excited to see all the holiday decorations at all the parks and resorts. We're especially looking forward to the new look of the castle at the MK!
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

Smile Re: What Disney World During the Holiday Season

Until when are the Magic Kingdom's holiday decorations up?

I'm going to be up there on Jan 2nd...I'm taking my best friend, who's never been to Disney World before, and I'd love for him to see the decorations, new castle icicle lighting, etc. It all looks so great!

• MiceChat Partner Site

Check out my site as I have some tips that will help you navigate the parks with the peak season crowds. My book goes into more detail about this, but you can have a great time regardless of the crowds. Have a great time and feel free to email me with any questions you have.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Peak Seasons View Post
    Have you been during this time before? I cannot wait either.
    There are 3 time periods of the year that I like to visit WDW. One is during Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival. It's not too hot yet, and the parks look beautiful. Then there's the fun of the Food & Wine Festival. And of course there's Christmas! I've taken to changing up every year, with the F&W one year and Christmas time the next. My birthday is at the end of September, which hooks quite nicely into the F&W season. But this year it's all about Christmas in the parks, especially Epcot.

1 week from today!!! (but who's counting?)

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    There are 3 time periods of the year that I like to visit WDW. One is during Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival. It's not too hot yet, and the parks look beautiful. Then there's the fun of the Food & Wine Festival. And of course there's Christmas! I've taken to changing up every year, with the F&W one year and Christmas time the next. My birthday is at the end of September, which hooks quite nicely into the F&W season. But this year it's all about Christmas in the parks, especially Epcot.

1 week from today!!! (but who's counting?)
    Actually I am counting. I will be leaving for my trip exactly one week from today. Me and my friend Jennifer are staying at Coronado Springs for 6 nights, and I am very excited to be seeing WDW for the first time all decked out for the holidays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast