• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Space Mountain: Mission 2 Update

Hi All, so I just read this on screamscape.com and I searched the forum here, but didnt see it. So I am going to post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamscape.com
    The latest buzz about the upcoming Space Mountain rehab claims that “Mission 2” has been given the green light and that it looks like they will likely be gutting the entire inside of the mountain and rebuilding the ride from scratch. A possible plan to speed up the process may be to remove the “top” of the mountain itself to allow for the removal of the old ride more quickly and in much larger pieces than what would normally be able to fit through the 22 ft tall back door. The funny part of the this story however is that in much the same fashion that they put up covered scaffolding around the buildings in Epcot when they go under rehab, painted to look like how the exterior should look, they are considering a similar tactic for the top of Space Mountain to help hide the bald spot if they remove it.
    Can any CM's confirm any of this? I am very curious about the removing of the tophat to get the ride out faster.

• Crazy Furry

Re: Space Mountain: Mission 2 Update

Hmmm...well when it comes to the update this is all I have to say.

If they just add new effects, coat of paint etc. I'll be quite happy.

However if they dare change the layout of the track, I will be very dissapointed.

To me the layout is just fine, all they should do is replace the track to make it smoother again.

I don't want it changed since it's already different from the clones at DL,HKDL and TDL. If they change the layout to be more like those, then it's like adding another Dumbo...it's too much of the same thing. Especially since I prefer the layout of WDW's over all the rest. (While DP would be at the top, the change to Mission 2 was a downfall.)
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

If they do change it considerably, fans of the old Space Mountain can go to Disneyland's Matterhorn and close their eyes. It's very similar.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

I'll take anything Lance says with a grain of salt.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by AE_Fan View Post
    However if they dare change the layout of the track, I will be very dissapointed.
    I agree. But unfortunately that was the last rumor I heard.

Even screamscape seems to contradict themselves.

(2/27/07) Screamscape sources tell us that Disney has already signed some contact with with Vekoma to perform some kind of upgrade to Space Mountain starting sometime in 2008. Right now it seems there is much discussion about how far to take it with one side pushing for a complete overhaul of the existing layout and new trains that will feature an audio system, while others are still pushing for the more costly complete ride system replacement as was done at Disneyland.
    (10/26/07) Screamscape sources tell us that Vekoma may have been signed on to produce not only all new track for Space Mountain, but new trains with an on-board soundsystem as well. Apparently the final budget for the Space Mountain rehab isn’t set yet, but apparently it was decided that the more length and expensive direction is the way they really need to go. I still can’t say for sure if this will be a move to replace 100% of the ride’s track, but I can hope so. If so, the new version of the ride will likely keep the same basic layout that they currently have. We’ve also heard something about a big change may take place to the lengthy exit ramp as well.
    I still don't know why Disney insists on using Vekoma. Have they not ridden Space Mountain at Disneyland recently? It's in need of another rehab.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 11-27-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't care if they change the layout of the track as long as it remains a family coaster. I don't want to see massive drops, or any inversions of any type. Space Mountain should always be a slightly more thrilling family coaster (hopefully with added effects) in the future. One of my greatest memories is riding this coaster with my dad when I was 5 years old. We rode it 3 times in a row because I loved it so much. Now that I have my own son, I'll be quite heartbroken if I can't relive that same memory with him because they made the ride so much more intense.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If they do change it considerably, fans of the old Space Mountain can go to Disneyland's Matterhorn and close their eyes. It's very similar.
    Do you really think so? I see nothing in common between the Matterhorn and either of the Space Mountains. Matterhorn is a very low thrill / highly rough ride. I still enjoy both sides, but I do it more for nostalgia's sake than for any real thrill.

• Pilot EdForceOne

each has its character..

DLR is flying through liquid space... you just fly through the darkness
    WDW is like barnstorming at night... it seems like you are going to slam into the surrounding track at all times

WDW's is like the ultimate mousetrap coaster.

DLR's is quite fun and the impression it makes is fantastic - but I'd also hate to see WDW's style go the way of the dodo. A better space effect along with new track and audio would be cool. And of course updating the pathetic post-show.

While the track may be similar to the Matterhorn, its experience is totally different due to the track wrapping through the supports, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Perhaps someone who knows the appropriate web links could check for building permits?

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Do you really think so? I see nothing in common between the Matterhorn and either of the Space Mountains. Matterhorn is a very low thrill / highly rough ride. I still enjoy both sides, but I do it more for nostalgia's sake than for any real thrill.
    I'm just saying that the Matterhorn is a very bumpy ride... just like Space Mountain in Florida.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm just saying that the Matterhorn is a very bumpy ride... just like Space Mountain in Florida.
    Ahhhh. Well, I guess I'm with you there. . .

• Imagineering God

Screamscape is as reliable as an a**hole on my elbow.

One of the Imagineers said it themselves a few months ago that they were just gonna do a one year refurb keeping the same track, just changing effects along with new trains with an on-board soundsystem, and some new scenery too. The only track that the guy said was gonna be replaced if this happens is the track in the stations and the track on the lift hills, which is most likely why they made a contract with Vekoma, if there even is one.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CostaFreak View Post
    Screamscape is as reliable as an a**hole on my elbow.

One of the Imagineers said it themselves a few months ago that they were just gonna do a one year refurb keeping the same track, just changing effects along with new trains with an on-board soundsystem, and some new scenery too. The only track that the guy said was gonna be replaced if this happens is the track in the stations and the track on the lift hills, which is most likely why they made a contract with Vekoma, if there even is one.

haha!

But I wouldn't exactly take what an imagineer says as completely done deal unless it is actually announced. The reason why Disney doesn't like their secrets leaked are for the very reason of creating confusion (at least in their opinion) about the future of their attractions. They don't want people protesting something that might have been changed months ago.

I heard from an Imagineer about CA's Tower of Terror and what changes were being explored. None of which made it into the final attraction! Boy was I disappointed. That's the kind of reaction Disney wants to keep at a minimum.

• I'm Engaged!!!!!

Do any CM's have any credible info about when the supposed refurb would start?
    wishesjake and SleepingBeauty867

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wishesjake View Post
    Do any CM's have any credible info about when the supposed refurb would start?
    Front lines Cast Members typically hear exactly what we hear. They are not, overall, a reliable source of information regarding upcoming projects.