• Nutty about Disney parks

Question Downtown Disney hotels - difference in value?

Has anyone ever booked a hotel on the Downtown Disney Hotel lot or any hotel near the entrance to WDW? What would you say is the difference in value/price? Do you think you're getting more/less/equal your money's worth as supposed to staying on property...say at a Value resort for $82 a night? Do the prices change like the Disney ones depending on the time of year?

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Downtown Disney hotels - difference in value?

I think that if you get the Hilton for $99.00 or so per night, it's a better value than the Pop Century at $82.00. I wouldn't stay at the ex-Grosvenor. I like the Hotel Royal Plaza. But the Hilton is the only DD hotel to include the EMH.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Blog Entries

As Denise says, it depends on what you pay. The 99 dollar rate for the Hilton is pretty dadgum good as the rooms are much nicer than the Pop. That said, I'd still rather stay at the pop for a few reasons.

1. I like the kiddie and fun feel of the Pop compared to the more business feel of the Hilton.

2. The bus service to the parks sucks from the DTD hotels. That alone is a big deal for me. As much as we complain about the bus service that Disney offers, the DTD hotel bus service is much much worse.

If you're going to drive to the parks, and don't really care for the kiddie cartoony feel of pop though then you'll find a better value in the Hilton.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I like the Pop as well. But I prefer the beds, the room, etc. at the Hilton. It does just depend. But if I was going to stay at DD, it would be at the Hilton (first choice), HRP (2nd choice), and the Buena Vista Palace was nice as the Wyndham - really nice. So probably that would be my 3rd choice. All of these would be considered deluxe type hotels/resorts (I am not even sure what constitutes a resort anymore), though only the Hilton offers the EMH.

I have never used the DD bus service. I walk to either Downtown Disney or Saratoga Springs and get the buses from there.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've stayed at the former Grosvenor (stayed there 3 times between 2000-2006 and never had any issues), the Hilton and the Hotel Royal Plaza. I liked Hotel Royal Plaza the best. I got a deluxe king room for a little over $100 and it was fantabulous. They just reopened this year after an extensive rehab (they sustained a lot of damage from Hurricane Charley). So everything was brand new. I seriously wanted to take the bathroom home with me. It was huge! It had a Roman tub with a separate shower stall. The bed was very comfy too. One of the best hotel beds I've ever slept in.

Blog Entries

I have never used the DD bus service. I walk to either Downtown Disney or Saratoga Springs and get the buses from there.
    Except the DTD buses don't run to the parks, so I'd first have to ride to a resort, and then take their bus to the resort.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Except the DTD buses don't run to the parks, so I'd first have to ride to a resort, and then take their bus to the resort.
    That is true (which is why I mentioned SS). If I was at DD and wanted to get to the MK, I would take the CR bus and walk. If I wanted to go to Epcot, I would take a Boardwalk/Yacht and Beach, etc. bus and walk. Same with MGM. I like to walk, so I don't mind doing that at all. Or again, walking over to Saratoga Springs - Congress Park, then getting a bus anywhere. I don't know anything about the DD area buses, I just haven't ever used them while staying at a DD property
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Has anyone ever booked a hotel on the Downtown Disney Hotel lot or any hotel near the entrance to WDW? What would you say is the difference in value/price? Do you think you're getting more/less/equal your money's worth as supposed to staying on property...say at a Value resort for $82 a night? Do the prices change like the Disney ones depending on the time of year?
    DD resorts are generally booked when the Disney Resorts are full, except for conventions. They do book a lot of conventions because the rates are cheaper. You do not get the amenities offered by the Disney Resorts other than early entry which is offered only by the Hilton. If you want a full package that offers dining, free transfers back and forth to the airport via Disney's Magical Express you have to be at a Disney Owned Resort. So you have to way the differences and see what suits you best.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Mears transfers aren't too expensive - and I can't recommend the dining plan so much anymore, with the tip not included.

If you can get the Pop Century midweek for a discount (like Florida Resident), that may be better than a DD hotel. But the ones at Downtown Disney - like the HRP and Hilton, are nice. You can't compare them with like the Polynesian, but they are still deluxe in their own right. And in some ways they are better than Disney properties. The Hilton room I was in last year was obviously redone recently, and the bedding and pillows were fantastic. I like a good nights sleep, so the bedding is important. (and one of the reasons I didn't like Shades of Green much a couple of years back).

I have stayed at the Grosvenor a few times at around $35 each night, through Priceline. I thought it was too much. The Grosvenor has also been one of the worst reviewed hotels on Trip Advisor and elsewhere in our area. I am looking at Trip Advisor now, and it's either 5's or 1's (either great or a dump). Not sure what is going on with those reviews, but they'll even out more eventually. I would only stay there again if I was being paid to do so. Maybe not even then.

Sometimes the Swan and Dolphin have great rates as well. Oh - and Mousesavers has a deal for mid to late December on the Gaylord Palms, as low as $99.00 many nights (which is INCREDIBLE). Plus parking and resort fee. That is a GREAT hotel, IMHO.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.