Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Spaceship Earth Soft Opening Announced(Merged Threads)

I suppose the openings are based on the activity level and how much they complete that day inside the attraction - or if they are ready to churn new info

As for the linking and bandwidth - this is where you web logs come into play. People see an unusual spike in bandwidth, etc.. you look at the referrers for requests for pages or graphics. Then if they want to cut them off, often they'll simply move content, or better yet, code the server to redirect those requests to the forementioned 'nasty messages' These are the advantages of running a full web server rather then be at the mercy of some shared host, or service controlled by someone else
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Hey all... I just read a quick review/impression article from themeparkave.com. If you do not want to be spoiled, then do not read below.... I am going to spoil tag the impressions... so read at your own risk..

Spoiler

- The signs going in are brand spanking new, and they change colors.
    - The vehicles now have screens on them.
    - Going up it looks brand new. No crappy projections on the left side anymore. Near the top of the lift your screen will point you in the direction of a camera and tell you to show your face and smile. You'll see yourself on the screen next to the camera. Once your picture is taken the screen on your vehicles stays off until the end of the attraction.
    - Judi Dench is the new narrator.
    - Once at the top of the hill the projections of the caveman and mammoth are gone, but brand new projections of a caveman fighting a mammoth are now there.
    - They “cave-peeps” look almost exactly the same except for the leader moves much more fluidly.
    - The pharaoh's seen looks identical aside from his new crown.
    - The first real noticeable difference after that is the Shakespearean actors are gone. There is now a Greek teacher with four pupils sitting down in front of him.
    - The "Berries and Creme" guys that were sitting on the step near the statue are gone and the statue is totally different and is now covering her breasts.
    - The paper boy is moved and facing an empty wall for some reason. It was very odd looking and I'm not sure it will even stay there. He also has a new voice.
    - The clip of Snow White is gone and there is now a full fledge theater with silhouettes of people sitting in front of the screen where the old black and white movie was shown. The family that was watching Walt Disney now has an elaborate living room and are watching the moon walk.
    - Directly after, where the Japanese girl and the boy were talking over the internet is now an elaborate computer room.

- After that, there is a new garage scene -- complete with mailbox and car outside. It actually looks very, very, very haunted house-ish (think PsychoScareapy - Home For The Holidays) as you approach it. Inside is a guy sitting on a computer and we are told people started working to bring computers into our very own homes.
    - The following scene -- with all the pretty lights before you see earth -- is now a matrix.
    - Once you start your descent backwards the video screens turn back on and you answer a series of questions on the touch screen. "Where do you live?", "When on vacation do you worry more about your home or pets?", "Are you a planner or do you like to wing it.", etc.
    - Everything from the entire descent of the ride is now stripped out and gone. In place are a bunch of trippy lights. Your attention is turned to the video screens where you see a video that’s based on your answers. I looked around and everyone around us had a different video.
    All the costumes and sets look amazing. A lot of the animatronics move fantastic now and look much more lifelike. I'm not sure how much I like Judi Dench as the narrator. It has a very different tone and her narration style is very different than Jeremy Irons.
    We actually broke down on the ride in front of burning Rome for about five minutes and were afraid we would be evac'd. Thankfully we weren't. It seems like the track didn't even get touched. It's still as bumpy as ever.
    I was a little disappointed with the descent since it was 100% totally on screens. We also never saw anything with out picture, which is expected since its only soft openings. Overall it was a nice update to a classic attraction and once everything is up and running it will be a major success.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.themeparkave.com/index.ph...d=124&Itemid=1

• out & about

Re: Spaceship Earth Soft Opening Announced

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Ha! I was just going to post that too. This is very exciting news! So far the 2nd Year of a Million Dreams will be off to a good start for me.
    Are you here? or coming?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Iron-Clad Allie

Wow! Get busy and leave this post for a day and it zooms from one page to five! I certainly dodn't expect this. Of course, this could be for a large part on account of the thread merger. LOL! Thanks everybody for your interest and participation in the subject at hand.

This all just goes to show you that Spaceship Earth might not be a thrill ride of any nature, let alone an adrenaline rush. Of course, this could be for a large part on account of the thread merger. Just the same, it is a SUPER HEADLINER in terms of popularity, edutainment storyline, special effects and ride thru scene sequencing.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-09-2007 at 11:37 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Question to anyone who knows: I will be at Epcot for one day around Christmas. When I get there, what should I do to find out if SSE will be open that day?
    Ask Guest Relations the day that you enter WDW - and/or call a day or so ahead. If it is not, you will need to go to Spaceship Earth and check for yourself if there is a soft opening.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    It really depends on how the soft openings go before then. It was open today for a bit. If it keeps up and grows it might be open by then. If not, just keep checking back. The Cast can't technically say one way or another if it's up in case they have to close it for one reason or another.
    Thanks for answering tasman's question, BigPigletFan. We are very fortunate to have somebody of your caliber on this board - You're a very big asset. You share the love of themeparks with nyself and others, and you are an absolute wealth of knowledge when it comes to Walt Disney World. Most of all, your enthusiasm is contageous.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-07-2007 at 05:20 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I had been told it was open, and I ran over from the MK (leaving TDLFan for a bit), and missed the opening by 2 minutes. There is no way to say when the next soft-open will be, but hopefully soon.

I was sort of glad to get back to the MK, I felt bad leaving TDLFan just to see if I could get on SSE (which is probably my favorite attraction at Epcot, and I am really looking forward to seeing the changes).

Denise

Missing the soft opening bt two minutes is two close for comfort. If you had missed it by an hour or two it would be far less frustrating. Two minutes is an emotional travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Do they intentionally make the soft opening unexpected or are they just evil and dont let people in on when they take place?

I head that SSE wont go public till Feb. If you ask me, two months is a big gap between the soft opening and the reopening.

I planned on being over in the Epcot area for a cast member event. Now I will definitly head straight over there after work and look into this soft opening.
    As some on this thread have said, SE will open as soon as Disney is satisfied with the that everything is working that was installed during the refurb - this and guest reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's intentionally kept low-key and subtle to allow testing without getting swarmed.

It looks like they are going to open it for the crush of the Xmas/NYE rush.. and then probably close it again to finish the job.
    That's correct, flynnibys. Much of the testing has to be done hands on. It would be quite unsitely for guests to view the behinds of imagineers and work crew members bending over to adjust this and that.

Let's hope that all goes well and it is open by Christmas and/or New Year's Eve. That would make for a great present.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Missing the soft opening bt two minutes is two close for comfort. If you had missed it by an hour or two it would be far less frustrating. Two minutes is an emotional travesty.

I actually survived the moment just fine.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I actually survived the moment just fine.
    Good for you nbodyhome! You're a super trouper.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Good for you nbodyhome! You're a super trouper.
    I try. We sat outside yesterday for a while - it appears it was supposed to open around 7pm, but there were technical issues (I heard this from more than just a regular CM).

At some point, a WDI guy went to a couple sitting next to me, and said he felt bad for them that they were missing the rest of the park - and that it would not be ready to ride yesterday. I really felt he was telling the truth, so I left at that time. He seemed like a really nice guy.

Another friend of mine missed the ride by about 10 minutes, he walked past it on Thurs just before 8. Then he spent the rest of the evening on other attractions, not knowing SSE had just opened. I think that would feel worse to me, knowing I was there and didn't realize!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   

I'm in line right now. They open for a few minutes and then close again.
    Last edited by PhotoMatt; 12-08-2007 at 04:42 PM.

•   

Still open. In line second time.

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    still open. In line second time
    If I could express my jealousy using only the power of dance, it would probably involve a YMCA-Riverdance hybrid interspersed with furious grunting.

•   

7 pm. Closed. But i think its temp only.

•   

The CM outside says no more openings tonight for certain. That could just be what he is being told to say, but I want to pass it on. I'm going home now to upload pics.
    Last edited by PhotoMatt; 12-08-2007 at 04:43 PM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I made it on the 4:30 soft opening today! It was a pretty close call I can tell you that...I was heading towards Spaceship Earth ready to sit around for quite a while when I saw the people moving through the wall and I was like "holy moly, forget finishing my dinner!" I totally was not expecting to arrive there at just the right time. I think they closed the wall about 2-3 minutes after I got in line.

As for the ride itself, the score and atmosphere not as majestic as the previous version of the ride. In fact, the Judi Dench narration is more toned down as a history lesson for kids. On the plus, I liked the new animatronic scene of the computer lab. There's really nothing to see or do on your backwards trip except to play around with your "future selection" feature. The last parts of the ride are still under construction I take it cuz you see alot of wires and framing on your backwards trip as opposed to stars. Sorry if this seems spoilerish.

It was nice to run into familiar faces the night before...but I finally got my SSE fix today! Woot!
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast