Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Spaceship Earth Soft Opening Announced(Merged Threads)

Possible minor spoilers

I too managed to get on SE today, twice in fact. Overall I think they've done a very nice job indeed - I can't remember the last time it look so good (it probably never did). A number of animatronics have been upgraded and are now more "Jack Sparrow" than "Carousel of Progress" (I still love CoP).

It's clearly a work in progress as there are random tools visible in the dark (only if you look where you probably shouldn't). In the tunnel just before the "on this our spaceship earth" I saw a trolley jack which was funny. The cars did stop at one point for about 4 minutes and I confess I was rather hoping for an evacuation...

As far as the audio goes I think I prefer Jeremy Irons version. Of course it's very early days but Judi Dench sounds a little like my grandmother trying to make something sound more interesting than it really is.

The only disappointment was the current ending but I imagine that's not yet ready to be seen properly. How whatever they add will mesh in with what they have there now (on the screens) I don't really know. I think it could be a sort of sensory overload. But the effect they've put in as you start to drop back down is mesmerising. I'll would ride it just for that.

It's really great to see that instead of ripping it all out and putting in a fast thrill ride, they've cherished what they had, given it a polish and made it better.

10/10 to the Imagineers.

•   

Pictures of the two rides I took today can be found here, http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt..._07-85156.html

• Purple Crates ♥

Quote Originally Posted by pjdk View Post
    Possible minor spoilers

I too managed to get on SE today, twice in fact. Overall I think they've done a very nice job indeed - I can't remember the last time it look so good (it probably never did). A number of animatronics have been upgraded and are now more "Jack Sparrow" than "Carousel of Progress" (I still love CoP).

It's clearly a work in progress as there are random tools visible in the dark (only if you look where you probably shouldn't). In the tunnel just before the "on this our spaceship earth" I saw a trolley jack which was funny. The cars did stop at one point for about 4 minutes and I confess I was rather hoping for an evacuation...

As far as the audio goes I think I prefer Jeremy Irons version. Of course it's very early days but Judi Dench sounds a little like my grandmother trying to make something sound more interesting than it really is.

The only disappointment was the current ending but I imagine that's not yet ready to be seen properly. How whatever they add will mesh in with what they have there now (on the screens) I don't really know. I think it could be a sort of sensory overload. But the effect they've put in as you start to drop back down is mesmerising. I'll would ride it just for that.

It's really great to see that instead of ripping it all out and putting in a fast thrill ride, they've cherished what they had, given it a polish and made it better.

10/10 to the Imagineers.
    I got into a preview today as well, the one at about 4:30 pm. I've got video and photos as well

Totally agree, it's amazing! Pretty dang good for a preview! Ride track was a bit *thud* bumpy! but all the animatronics looked very cool.

• Little Miss Sunshine

But the effect they've put in as you start to drop back down is mesmerising. I'll would ride it just for that.

10/10 to the Imagineers.
    I must have really been mesmerized, I don't know what effect you are talking about (I rode it 2x today).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I must have really been mesmerized, I don't know what effect you are talking about (I rode it 2x today).
    That huge matrix of blue lights! Very simple but for me it was captivating. Suddenly losing all sense of scale was a real experience. And if you look behind you, shortly after the car turns around (just before you would normally see them), you get an awesome view as well.

On another subject, I think the ride system has improved. It's still not super smooth but it's not nearly as bone shaking or noisy as it was on my last trip earlier in the year. Maybe they tightened a few bolts ;-)

• Minion

I will be at WDW from the 12th to the 20th, I'm hoping to get to ride SSE. Without SSE, EPCOT isn't EPCOT to me. Not riding SSE while at EPOCT is almost like not seeing a castle while at a Magic Kingdom. I'm glad it looks like the rehab has been done well. Maybe it is a positive sign for EPCOT's future.

Note to Disney:
    Make a new version of Horizons.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I made it on the 4:30 soft opening today! It was a pretty close call I can tell you that...I was heading towards Spaceship Earth ready to sit around for quite a while when I saw the people moving through the wall and I was like "holy moly, forget finishing my dinner!" I totally was not expecting to arrive there at just the right time. I think they closed the wall about 2-3 minutes after I got in line.

It was nice to run into familiar faces the night before...but I finally got my SSE fix today! Woot!
    Congratulations toonaspie. My craving for food went out the window too if I had the opportunity to participate in an SSE soft opening!

Possible minor spoilers

10/10 to the Imagineers.
    Good for you too, pjdk! Thanks for the little mini review.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    Pictures of the two rides I took today can be found here, http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt..._07-85156.html
    Awesome photos PhotoMatt. The ride looks fantasti! Loved the space starfield toward the begining of your report. The spaceship at the end looked kind of like a Jetson's craft.

Quote Originally Posted by cyre View Post
    I got into a preview today as well, the one at about 4:30 pm. I've got video and photos as well

Totally agree, it's amazing! Pretty dang good for a preview! Ride track was a bit *thud* bumpy! but all the animatronics looked very cool.
    Hope that you'll post your pix cyre!

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Glad that you were able to finally take the big plunge nbodyhome!

As frequently as SSE is having soft openings now means to me that all is going well and that the official opening cannot be too far ahead.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-10-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I will be at WDW from the 12th to the 20th, I'm hoping to get to ride SSE. Without SSE, EPCOT isn't EPCOT to me. Not riding SSE while at EPOCT is almost like not seeing a castle while at a Magic Kingdom. I'm glad it looks like the rehab has been done well. Maybe it is a positive sign for EPCOT's future.

Note to Disney:
    Make a new version of Horizons.
    If you are going to be at WDW that long, I wouldn't be surprised if you have the opportunity to ride the attraction time and time again. Enjoy your trip, GhostHost!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Little Miss Sunshine

That huge matrix of blue lights! Very simple but for me it was captivating. Suddenly losing all sense of scale was a real experience. And if you look behind you, shortly after the car turns around (just before you would normally see them), you get an awesome view as well.

On another subject, I think the ride system has improved. It's still not super smooth but it's not nearly as bone shaking or noisy as it was on my last trip earlier in the year. Maybe they tightened a few bolts ;-)
    I must have been staring at my screen or something.

The ride system is fine - but on a scale of 1 - 10 (now that I've had a couple of days to think about it), I'd give the attraction in it's current state...about a 6. With Dame Judy Dench as narrator, it probably won't top an 8 for me (even if everything else is perfect). I just think she was the wrong narrator for the ride. Spaceship Earth is supposed to be grand, majestic, and it just isn't that way with her voice (for me).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

I went on again last night (having met another MC member in the line - hello "toonaspie" - see, I did remember your login!) and I would like to retract my comment about the improved ride system Last night it was noticably worse which leads me away from thinking it's a problem with the track and more towards the individual cars or motors. Still a great ride though and a wonderful upgrade.

And yes, nbodyhome, I could imagine the excitement of what may be coming on the screens could distract your eyes away from the matrix of lights - it's just one more thing to look forward to next time!

• Little Miss Sunshine

And yes, nbodyhome, I could imagine the excitement of what may be coming on the screens could distract your eyes away from the matrix of lights - it's just one more thing to look forward to next time!
    I wish the screens were exciting! Next time I'll look for the lights. I'm soooooo tired from the weekend, I still need to get some work done - then some pics and a report tonight.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Minion

I wish they had found an old Paul Frees narration for SSE that has been lost in the archives until now.
    "Welcome Foolish Mortals to Spaceship Earth"

• Little Miss Sunshine

[QUOTE=GhostHost2;2393574]I wish they had found an old Paul Frees narration for SSE that has been lost in the archives until now.
    "Welcome Foolish Mortals to Spaceship Earth"[/QUOTE

THAT I would greatly enjoy.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345