• MiceChat Partner Site

Anticipation of a Disney Vacation

Here is the latest blog from my website and it is about the anticipation of a Disney vacation. I would like to hear your thoughts of what feelings you get as well.

"If you have ever planned a vacation to Walt Disney World you know the feeling you get when the months of hard work and planning come to a close and your countdown to your WDW trip is finally in single digits.

There is an unexplained sense of anticipation you get when you enter that final week before you arrive at WDW. You constantly check the weather five times a day to see what the highs and lows will be, you hope that the sun will be shining every day of your trip, and wishing upon a star that the rain will hold off until AFTER your family leaves.

You watch the Travel Channel and just hope that you see Samantha Brown doing one of her Disney specials, or a Disney show will be shown sometime before you leave.

You suddenly feel the need to either play your Disney CD's, listen to Disney songs on your iPod, or pull up a Disney Internet Radio Station (hopefully D-Magic Radio :o) to put you in the mood.

You find yourself dusting off some of your favorite Disney DVD's and watching them as a family to gear yourself for your trip.

You make a general itinerary of which days you will visit each park and hopefully discuss the activities/rides that your family wants to see or do.

You pull out your planning checklist and triple check it, to make sure you wont forget anything during your packing phase. You make sure that your favorite Mickey sweatshirt, tshirt and jacket are all packed away.

You call Disney to make sure that they still have your reservation (trust me it has happened to me where I called the day before our trip and they lost our reservation-luckily there were still rooms available).

You also call Disney Dining to confirm all your dining options, as well as maybe ask if there are openings for one more special meal for your family.

After all of this is complete you are finally ready to travel to WDW. You then can relax, enjoy your trip, and then on your way home, if you are like most of us.....start the process all over again!!"

• Disneyland Grandee

Re: Anticipation of a Disney Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Peak Seasons View Post

You make a general itinerary of which days you will visit each park and hopefully discuss the activities/rides that your family wants to see or do.
    Awww, but do you have the old spreadsheet and calendar set up to show everything in black and white?!

And how about start packing 30 days or more prior?!?

I think you covered it all. I think I speak for most everyone on this site, that yes we do indeed qualify for geekdom by doing everything on your list.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    Awww, but do you have the old spreadsheet and calendar set up to show everything in black and white?!

And how about start packing 30 days or more prior?!?

I think you covered it all. I think I speak for most everyone on this site, that yes we do indeed qualify for geekdom by doing everything on your list.
    I guess I'm not geek enough (hard to believe!) I don't treat Disney trips any different than others (when heading to CA or Paris). I make sure I've got all my clothes, enough money, camera, good shoes, etc. And in Paris, I made DLP just a day trip now. Too much to see in the city.

No music, no DVD's, no Travel Channel. I guess I'm just too familiar with all the parks by now.

I am geek enough to be watching the new Disneyland Treasures DVD right now, though. So far it's a lot of fun. I am heading to the Golden Horshoe event in Anaheim this March, so it's fun seeing Betty Taylor and Wally Boag in their heyday (Wally was really a cutie!)
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I guess I'm not geek enough (hard to believe!) I don't treat Disney trips any different than others (when heading to CA or Paris). I make sure I've got all my clothes, enough money, camera, good shoes, etc.
    I treat every trip I take the same, Disney or not! Maybe it's OCD shining through with my compulsiveness to overplan every waking moment. I certainly wouldn't want to miss a darn thing.
    ~~Jodi~~

• Little Miss Sunshine

I treat every trip I take the same, Disney or not! Maybe it's OCD shining through with my compulsiveness to overplan every waking moment. I certainly wouldn't want to miss a darn thing.

If I am going somewhere new, I do a LOT of planning. Especially if I'm going to a foreign country, I want to make sure I feel like I've been there before! I don't want a surprise upon arrival.

But if I've been once or twice - I don't feel much need to plan. I went to Disneyland this past year, hadn't been in a few years at least. The main thing I wanted to do was to ride the subs, so I asked online about the best time to do that. Plus I looked into tours, I did take the Walking in Walts Footsteps tour (and at Uni, the wonderful behind-the-scenes tour).

That was about it. Any other planning was to get a hotel chosen, rental car, and to find out where the nearest In and Out Burger was. I wish there was one across from Disneyland, I'd be there every day.

Even with London/Paris, I've been 3 times in 2 years. So I know what I like already, I try to add some new stuff that I see along the way on my travels. Like - one trip, I saw people having picnics at the bottom of the Eiffel Tower. This past trip, that was me with some friends. The first trip to that region, I probably spent 100+ hours studying everything, top to bottom. Now, maybe 5 - 10 hours and I'm set with everything - flights, Eurostar, hotels, B&B. And sometimes I will watch Samantha Brown or Rick Steves to pump up for a trip, but not as much (I've seen those shows too much already!)
    Last edited by nbodyhome; 12-16-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Disneyland Grandee

Ahhhh . . . Rick Steves . . . my hero!

I think I've read every single one of his bibles, err I mean, books. We've traveled to Europe 6 times in the last 10 years and his recommendations for everything are SPOT ON! Using his techniques really teaches how to travel on a budget and get the most bang for the buck.

And In N Out? Yummmm, they are responsible for my big butt!!

Whoops, sorry, WDW Peak Seasons, didn't mean to derail so much!
    ~~Jodi~~

• Little Miss Sunshine

Ahhhh . . . Rick Steves . . . my hero!

I think I've read every single one of his bibles, err I mean, books. We've traveled to Europe 6 times in the last 10 years and his recommendations for everything are SPOT ON! Using his techniques really teaches how to travel on a budget and get the most bang for the buck.

And In N Out? Yummmm, they are responsible for my big butt!!

Whoops, sorry, WDW Peak Seasons, didn't mean to derail so much!
    Rick Steves is terrific! But I like to go through a variety of sources,
    since Steves doesn't get everywhere. But he is great for a budget, whereas Samantha Brown is not. Plus, he really lives what he does. Samantha Brown seems to visit cities very quickly, and I enjoy her - but when she said there were "no bad views" at the Wilderness Lodge, it was apparent she hadn't been given a tour of the standard-view room with the dumpster/smokehouse combo view!

I like to travel on a budget, anywhere I go. A big splurge for me is still going to be pretty cheap. No Four Seasons, no $500 hotel rooms.

I can't wait to get back to In and Out. 3 1/2 more months! I won't be planning a lot for that Disneyland trip either, though I do plan for my burger and Costco dashes. Oh - and to pick up a few Chocodiles!

I think we are still sort of on-topic, planning!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

You forgot to add "Read all past posting for the last 6 months on Micechat to get inside tips and ideas and build excitement for upcoming trip"

That's what I've been doing for the last month and I still have 3 weeks to go!

• Can't get enough!

I love to check the weather about 12 times a day, like it's gonna make a difference! Planning and researching is fun for me.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney