• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Question A New Perspective on the Spaceship Earth Ending.

Like many of us who have ACTUALLY ridden the ride, we have been struggling with the ending.

I personally do not hate it, and do find it enjoyable but there could be more. I love the additional AA, and the new movements, and new show scenes.

So inorder to gain a more balanced perspective on the attraction, and tired of hearing the same ol' same ol' from the SUPER DISNEY crowd, I decided to ride it with a few people who aren't Disney fanatics.

So last night I hauled a few people over to Spaceship Earth. Now these are people who have NEVER worked for Disney, go to Disneymaybe once a year, do not live in Central Florida, and and think of the parks as a rare treat.

They all have ridden Spaceship Earth before, and some remembered liking it, and some remembered hating it.

I sat quietly on the ride, listening to them commenting on things, some of them pointed out new things to eachother, some pointed out unchanged old things as new, but they were immersed.

When it came to the ending they were WOWed by the star field.

They LOVED the interaction. And the were THRILLED with the video!

When we got off the attraction they all LOVED LOVED LOVED the new version. They loved the narration, and said it made a lot of sense, they said they loved the VIDEO! When I told them that their faces would be in the video in the end eventually, they were WOWed and are dying to come back and ride it again.

They all universally wanted to ride it again! Alas I was out of time and had to jet.

So that brings me to a new thought.

Is WDI actually REALLY intouch with the Gernal Public? And is the online Disney Community really out of touch with the General Public?

This is just an accademic question really. Riding it with this crowd and seeing their reaction was like night and day.

They group of people I took was a pretty diverse group of people, from a few different demographics.

So just want to hear what you all think. Are we the online community out of touch? Or is WDI out of touch?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: A New Perspective on the Spaceship Earth Ending.

The online community cares more, because we know that Disney can do better. And - some of us have ridden Spaceship Earth for 25 years now, and I don't want to see another Gran Fiesta. I really loved that attraction before.

I'm in the middle, but I certainly don't think the new attraction is hellish in any way. Some of it is fantastic. Some of it is just a video, which won't be interesting if ridden many times. I enjoyed it once. Not really the next two times at all. The narration isn't my favorite, but I've already said that. I think that TDLFan gave it a B-, and I think that is about where I am too. I'll ride it again, and again. It isn't Gran Fiesta even now. But I hope they do some more with the ending.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Fair enough. I agree that B- is probably where I would put it too. It should be an A+

But I am just trying to understand an objective point of view. And I am courious where that is.

I'm new here, and you can count how many times I've been to WDW on my hands. While very envious of those of you that frequent the world as often as you do, most of you "hard core types" are very judgmental of ANY change.

I enjoy seeing the parks and resorts through others eyes here on the boards, but reserve my opinions until I can check these things out myself. To me the parks are still a place of wonderment, to some of you it seems that any change made by Disney MUST be miraculous , or not made at all.

I can't tell you what I will think of SSE when I finally get to see it again, but I can tell you I am looking forward to it, what ever it may be. From what I've read, its STILL going to be something unlike anything else you can see any where but at the parks, and that is good enough for me.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post

I enjoy seeing the parks and resorts through others eyes here on the boards, but reserve my opinions until I can check these things out myself. To me the parks are still a place of wonderment, to some of you it seems that any change made by Disney MUST be miraculous , or not made at all.
    I'm not sure about miraculous. I think change is hard for a lot of people. When something has been part of your life for 25 years, it's hard to see it removed/worsened/or even changed - even if it's better. What I like about SSE, is that they kept a lot of the essence of the first half of the ride. They didn't rip it all out and start over.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Closed Account

Of COURSE they would "LOVE" something like that because they are NOT fans who have grown w/ Disney for 30+ years, seen all the AA and dark ride extravagnazas on BOTH coasts, see the land redos, seen the WDI infights and KNOW what WDI is capabable of and know what DIsney SHOULD be doing. Do you think the 50th and the Pirate, Mansion and Small World rehabs would have happened as they did if WDI DIDNT kiss the online community and purists BEHINDS? Look at Mansion. People, guests and CMs alike have been RAVING and i constantly heard the first two weeks that it was BETTER than Pirates. WHY? Because they ADDED in the spririt of the original and RESTORED everything else. Same w/ Small World. and to a lesser extent Pirates.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Fair enough. So how much do you think Disney reads the online forums? And what do you think they take from it? And what actions do you think happens from them?

Just an academic question. I want to hear your thoughts.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    Fair enough. So how much do you think Disney reads the online forums? And what do you think they take from it? And what actions do you think happens from them?

Just an academic question. I want to hear your thoughts.
    Disney definitely reads. But as far as taking action? The wand took 10 years to come down. The hat is still up. The Disneyland Gallery closed to the public. I expect there is a little bit of influence - but maybe not that much.

The internet did change the way Disney does marketing. I mean, it's a lot harder to market to specific groups now that all codes end up online.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I just got an email from someone who had a chance to ride SSE with his kids. The kids favorite part - the touch screens. So not everyone is going to dislike it, this family LOVED the changes to SSE.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

If I think of myself as a child I probably would get a kick out of the touch screens.. as an adult its easy for me to say that I will miss the epic music and descent back to earth, but that is because it gives me familiar feelings.. as a child seeing it for the first time... I think they would love it and I know I would too.

Disney: true inspiration!

• Banned User

Well, that is exactly the demographic Disney seems to be catering to lately.. video game players.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Well, that is exactly the demographic Disney seems to be catering to lately.. video game players.
    I don't know. If they are trying to cater to video game players with the ending on SSE, I'm not sure they did a great job with that either. It's not like the video is going to compete with Halo!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

If only they would add a gun so you could shoot up the future! lol It would be fun if Dame Judi Dench did her best Arnold impression and told you "now it is time to change the future!"

I was reading the Wikipedia page about Spaceship Earth, and, interestingly enough, one small point popped out at me.

"The attraction featured actor Vic Perrin as the narrator along with a very simple and quiet orchestral composition throughout the attraction." (the 1982 version).

The 'simple and quiet orchestral composition' most definitely reminded me about what many have said about the new score. While I have not heard it myself yet, perhaps the decision to have a simpler score is a throwback to the 'olden days?'

Does anyone know where the old scores can be found?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Honestly though,

I do applaud Disney for trying new things, shaking up the norm. I think they should continue to try and try and try new things.