• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Planning Trip to WDW have a few questions

Hey everyone seeing that I havn't visited WDW since January 06, I'm long over due a trip. Now if I were to go it wouldn't be until the second part of 2008 as I will be out in Hong Kong in May. As I was very impressed by the castle lightening ceremony I wanted to know roughly when the Resort usually starts doing its Christmas programmes, and hard ticketed events.

Also between Sept to Dec what sort of times would be best to avoid the Resort due to US Holidays and weather. I usually end up visiting in January because I like the off season.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Planning Trip to WDW have a few questions

Hi!

The times for various Christmas events is different - everything doesn't start at the same time.

This year, my favorite week after everything had started was just after Thanksgiving, it was really a great time to be at the parks.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

Thanks for the quick reply, how are the crowds after Thanksgiving?

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, how are the crowds after Thanksgiving?
    Thursday, Friday, Saturday, busy. I wasn't there Sunday of T-giving weekend this year, but I expect there are a lot of departures that day. But I'm looking at next years calendar, and T-giving is later than this year and I'm not sure what the dates are for Pop Warner.

The week BEFORE Thanksgiving would probably be even a lot less crowded - but not everything is going. The Candlelight tends to start around Thanksgiving. The Christmas decorations started going up around Halloween this year, but Osborne Lights around the 12th, Lights of Winter around the 21st...so you want to think about what you want to see. If you arrive the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I think that would be a pretty nice week - with all the Christmas events running. But December isn't as slow as it once was (tourism is cyclical, so who knows what next year will bring). Right now, it seems like we have lots of international (many UK) visitors.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

I am an October girl...the queues don't seem to bad when we visit and I love how the resorts look at Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Hey everyone seeing that I havn't visited WDW since January 06, I'm long over due a trip. Now if I were to go it wouldn't be until the second part of 2008 as I will be out in Hong Kong in May. As I was very impressed by the castle lightening ceremony I wanted to know roughly when the Resort usually starts doing its Christmas programmes, and hard ticketed events.

Also between Sept to Dec what sort of times would be best to avoid the Resort due to US Holidays and weather. I usually end up visiting in January because I like the off season.
    The resorts start getting decorated in early November. The parks don't officially start the holiday stuff until the Friday after Thanksgiving - with the exception being Osborne Lights at MGM starting a little before Thanksgiving. At MK the hard-ticket christmas party runs 2-3 nights a week and I think the earliest date was around Nov 13th this year.

The week before the week of Thanksgiving is very dead - Food & Wine Festival ended the week before, and the Thanksgiving crowds haven't arrived yet. It's a shame to miss Food & Wine, though! Sept is very slow - but really really HOT...humid, miserable, etc. I'd take the week after Thanksgiving for the holiday stuff or late Oct/early Nov for Food & Wine - whichever "stuff" is your priority (holiday vs food & wine). Actually I'd prefer just staying there from Oct 20th or so until Dec 15th or so....but work & real life gets in the way!
    Sue/WDW1972

• Banned User

Hey thanks for the great info, quick update I've changed and re booked my holidays at work today. I'll be hopely visiting WDW from the 17th to the 26th of November. Its likely I will miss the food and wine festival but should be able to catch atleast one of the Christmas hard ticket events. And miss out on the huge Thanksgiving crowds.