•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

AK; Disney Quest; ICE and the Gaylord Palms

We decided to pack up the family for the weekend and check out some sites that we don't normally see while in Orlando. We stayed at The Gaylord Palms, played around in some ICE, enjoyed Disney Quest for the first time and dug up dinosaurs in Animal Kingdom (Ok, so we couldn't stay away from the mouse.)

Should you wish to see all the photo I took this weekend, please visit HERE.

Day 1

With the only real agenda being ICE on our list, we passed some thoughtful suggestions on I-4.

Bypassing our normal exit, we traveled into another to see our hotel off in the distance.

We quickly checked into our room and couldn't wait to start exploring the massive hotel.

The hotel is separated into different themes, St. Augustine, Key West and the Everglades. We were given St. Augustine Rooms which faced the outside, we woke up daily to seeing cows across the street, not exactly the Savannah but it will do.

Next we moved onto the Atrium for a tour, there were so many places to get lost and sights to see. With the added Christmas decorations, the hotel was simply beautiful.

This massive sailboat was INSIDE the atrium and it served as a restaurant.

They have two pools, an adults only pool and the family pool, which housed the Octopus slide that was under construction during our visit.

Outside view of the Atrium.

The Main interior of the atrium.

The Everglades section..

Anyone see the Travelocity gnome? They had a gnome hunt with multiple gnomes scattered throughout the atrium for you to find. My kids had the best time trying to locate them.

Atrium view rooms..

They had many restaurants in this hotel, we tried one but then opted to eat off site for the majority of the weekend after that.

Part of the lobby.

A cozy fireplace complete with self playing piano.

Gnome!

We had dinner our first evening at Villa De Flora, it was an Italian buffet with its own made to order pasta bar! The staff was very attentive but we really weren't impressed by the food.

On the way back to the room we checked out Key West again. The theming in this resort is something Disney would be proud of, it was seamless from one region to another.

The evening came to a close as we had plans to get up early to see the ICE exhibit in the convention center, so we hopped aboard our elevator for a good night's rest.

Day 2 coming soon!...
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 12-26-2007 at 08:31 AM.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: AK; Disney Quest; ICE and the Gaylord Palms

Very nice! I stayed one night previously at the Gaylord Palms and was very impressed. I also REALLY liked the Ice exhibit (this was 2 years ago). Such fun!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Day 2

We awoke the next morning and headed downstairs. Did you know that this hotel has a recreation of the Castillo De San Marco in St. Augustine? It was a lot of fun exploring the fort!

The Everglades!

I don't remember swamps looking like this.

Is that civilization I see?

Pretty waterfall!

This fish seemed to think I was delivering food, anyone else see the hidden mickey bubbles? Yes, I need help, I know this..

I'm a sucker for waterfalls, what can I say!

Unfortunately they lead to this alligator pit. Eek!

Time for ICE!

It was a lovely exhibit, the family loved the ice slides and we sincerely appreciated the work involved in making something so massive. I think our only complaint was after waiting in line for an hour, they moved us into a queue where we watched a 10 minute movie while standing, then moved into another room and watched another movie while standing. Needless to say a lot of people weren't happy about standing for so long, that was probably the only thing that took away from the experience.

Who needs a Parka?!

Grandma was ready! (She HATES the cold, can you tell? LOL)

The entrance through the igloo..

Lifesize Gingerbread House..

Sundae anyone?

This wall was HUGE! Very psychedelic!

The next room held the manger scene which was very well done.

They had this extremely tall angel sculpture, she kind of creeped me out. LOL

You need to watch out for this one!

The path lead us through this icicle tree archway.

And out the other side was the ice slides!

My turn!

Get in line, get in line..

Here comes the little one!

I think Coke was a sponsor.

Florida weather approaching? By this time I was really grateful to see this sign! LOL

Afterwards we headed back to the hotel and my daughters and I went exploring again. Did you know they have elevators in various locations throughout the atrium that allow you to look out over the area? My kids found everyone of them and we rode them about 5-6 times each! LOL

And another elevator..

Lookie! "Almost" the southern most point in the U.S.

Another gnome!

All of the plants were real in the building, including my favorite flower, this gorgeous lily.

View from the fort.

Gnome!

This gnome was hiding under the Christmas tree, it was the best shot I could get.

Another elevator! With a great view of the fort and the surrounding area.

Time to explore the caves..

Mortal Kombat!..No, not really..

We never knew where the next path would take us, it was adventure every time!

Yay! The last elevator! Great view of the Everglades though!

What? Gators and snakes?
    Why did it have to be snakes??!

GNOME!

Let me out! Let me out!

You'll be happy to know my daughter survived her brief brush with the baby gators and lived to tell the tale.

After that near death experience, we all loaded into the minivan (so cliché I know) and headed over to Disney Quest for the evening.

Human pinball! How cool is that!

Chocolate Mousse in the Wonderland Cafe? Why thank you, don't mind if I do..

Virtual Jungle Cruise?

Look closely everyone. The only place you can see the Matterhorn and Cinderella's castle, together.

*sings* Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream!..

You have the secret lotto numbers? I'm all ears!

I get to create my own roller coaster and then ride it? Sweeet...

Wait, you want me to squeeze into this thing, well uh no, but you go ahead. LOL

I'm a Superhero!

We warded off evil villains with our trusty light-sabers!

I'm sorry what? I can't hear you, it seems the cat has got your tongue. Time for me to call it a night!

Day 3 coming soon..

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Day 3

Animal Kingdom Day!

As Grandma got her AP (go grandma!) I snapped this cute photo of Piglet.

Pretty bird!

Popcorn and shopping, fun times!

I never noticed this statue before, it looks strangely uncomfortable. LOL

"Tigger, is that you?" (I thought this shirt was cute. LOL)

First stop, Dinoland!

Stopped off at the Boneyard so the kids could have some fun, never realized how big this playland was!

Um, I don't think he read the signs. LOL

Yeah, no thanks, I'll go this way..

Christmas crowds!

I love the Santa hat they put on the dino!

Heading over to Primeval Whirl I see this guy. Who knew Macy's loaned out their floats to Disney, so they could put them above their stores! :P

What?! I was TOTALLY hungry!

Weeeee!

I don't know if I should drink from it or ask it to fetch me a martini.

Yea! Extinction! No wait..

Well they seem to be enjoying themselves anyway.

Time for a spin on a triceratops!

Not a bad view!

"Well hello! I'd shake your hand but I might squish you!"

Yay! Carnival games! I can hit that mark, just watch me! (My oldest actually won a stuffed turtle. A plush one, not a real one, gee people, it's Disney after all. :P)

Next we headed over to Finding Nemo: The Musical where I took the opportunity to work on my indoor photo taking skills.

Look Ma, no flash!

Awww, just keep swimming Dory!

Next we headed over to Yak and Yeti to see if they had any openings left for the day, we were in luck and were taken in fairly quickly.
    I love the theming of the building, I'm always amazed at how they can make something "look" old but not be.

We were greeted by this at our table..

I was in heaven after I found out they serve various hot teas at this establishment, definitely moved it to the top of my list for AK.

I went with Earl Grey.

We had the pot stickers as an appetizer, they really great!

We ended the day with a ride on Everest, was the perfect ending to a great day!

Really not much to add to Day 4, we woke up, packed up and went home but had a wonderful weekend at a really beautiful resort. We agreed to come back again and get an atrium view, the hotel really had a lot to offer, would like to take advantage of everything they have there. They even have a full service spa! Just wasn't enough time.

Ta, ta for now!

• Purple Crates ♥

Aww how fun! I hadn't heard of that ICE exhibit before! How fun! I always enjoy your reports Good job

• World Traveler

Thanks for the great report! I really want to see that ICE show.

• She was sweet as a peach

What a great trip report!! We will have to check out the ICE exhibit!! It looks fabulous!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Smile Re: AK; Disney Quest; ICE and the Gaylord Palms

What a unique trip! Way to tailor your trip to your family!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Looks like a fun time! I want to visit the Gaylord Palms sometime. It reminds me a lot of the Opryland Hotel in Nashville as they have a HUGE indoor atrium/conservatory as well. I loved wandering through it at night when I was a kid. One of my favorite places in the world, even though I haven't been there since 1991.

Oh and I can tell you that Mighty Ducks pinball game at DisneyQuest is EXHAUSTING! I did it my first visit there back in 2000. And I won! But I pretty much collapsed as soon as I got off it. My legs were rubber and my lungs were dry. I was like... WATER!!!!

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

thanks for the photo's they're great!! would love to see the ice exhibit!!!

• Don't mess with the duck!

Awesome report! I've never seen pics of The Gaylord Palms, before, looks very nice.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Looks like a fun time! I want to visit the Gaylord Palms sometime. It reminds me a lot of the Opryland Hotel in Nashville as they have a HUGE indoor atrium/conservatory as well. I loved wandering through it at night when I was a kid. One of my favorite places in the world, even though I haven't been there since 1991.

Oh and I can tell you that Mighty Ducks pinball game at DisneyQuest is EXHAUSTING! I did it my first visit there back in 2000. And I won! But I pretty much collapsed as soon as I got off it. My legs were rubber and my lungs were dry. I was like... WATER!!!!

The Opryland Hotel is now owned by Gaylord. So that's where the correlation comes in.

Great memories for you though, I imagine as a child it would be like one big adventure to walk all the paths. Great place to use your imagination.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Thanks for the great report! I really want to see that ICE show.
    Quote Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
    What a great trip report!! We will have to check out the ICE exhibit!! It looks fabulous!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    What a unique trip! Way to tailor your trip to your family!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseyDisney View Post
    thanks for the photo's they're great!! would love to see the ice exhibit!!!
    It is really a lot of fun, my girls had such a fun time on the ice slides. My honey Phil though almost took out two workers when he came down the big slide a little fast, he was so embarassed but laughed about it later. If they wouldn't have stopped him he would of ran right into the ice wall!

Quote Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
    Awesome report! I've never seen pics of The Gaylord Palms, before, looks very nice.
    I was really surprised as well, it also was the same price as the moderates at Disney so it really makes me wonder what other hotels I've missed because I was always focused on staying on site. Now I've been looking around.