• The Monkey's Uncle

Need help planning a trip to WDW

CALLING ALL WDW RESORT EXPERTS..

Need help and opinions on planning a WDW trip for Summer 2008. (July)

Requesting resort suggestions/opinions regarding the following:
    Hotels (within the Disney resort)
    Attractions
    Activities.
    Lesser know perks or guest tips. (ie: early entry, luggage service? etc)

I haven't been since the early 1990's (pre TOT completion and other expansions.... Animal Kingdom etc)

Who: Family of four (2 girls - 5 and 2)
    When: July (Can't adjust travel month) I know... the crowds... ugh.
    6 day stay.
    Budget for hotel: Middle of the road...not looking for CHEAPEST nor the most expensive. We've been to Carribean Beach Resort strike that from list.

5 year old loves to swim so Blizzard Beach and Typhoon lagoon are already marked in PEN.

Any 1st hand experiences and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am already reading some of the handy trip planning guides out there on the net but wanted some more 1st hand insight from the local experts.

Thanx in advance.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Need help planning a trip to WDW

I would suggest Port Orleans as far as hotel. Both are VERY nice. I've also heard nice things about Coronado Springs, but haven't stayed there.

Well obviously there are the parks.

Things to not miss that are probably new to you:

Animal Kingdom - The kids will LOVE the Nemo show. Make it a PRIORITY to see this
    EPCOT - Nemo and Gran Fiesta tour. Again, kids = love
    MGM - Tower of Terror. If it's not the best ride in the resort, I don't know what is (MAYBE Haunted Mansion now). Probably not for the kids, but do child swap.
    MK - New Haunted Mansion is WAY awesome.

For dinner I'd suggest 'Ohana. Again, LOTS of yummy food, great family environment.

Early entry is yours to use if you are staying on-site. However ... if you do morning EMH I would leave that park no later than 11:00 or 12:00 and park-hop to a non-EMH park.

This will be easier if you have a rental car since the busses at the moderates get busy (at least for my tastes).

Other than that, have a great time.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I'd go with POF. But other than that, I'd suggest buying a couple of books, and starting there. There is SO much that can be suggested, from attractions to mini-golf to the campfire, etc. But with 6 days, I'd mostly stick with the parks, water parks and resort. The 6 days will go quick. Hoop De Doo is fun.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Talking Re: Need help planning a trip to WDW

And you can save some money on Tickets by buying through Orlando Fun Tickets!

We have great deals on multiday tickets with the water park fun and more options!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

tips
    WDW have there only telephone system. Read this for Do's and don't
    http://allearsnet.com/acc/phoninfo.htm

If you are stay at WDW resort, if you buy something in WDW you can sent to your resort and pick it up there. But you need a 24 hour so can get there.

Take break around noon from the parks, some say it is HOT.
    Pool break.
    buy water bottel if you can Not at WDW
    save bottel and fill it a the resort you can ask cup water at the parks
    buy some guide books. a must

Write down the days the extend hour moring and night.
    http://allearsnet.com/tp/emhour.htm
    One day for animal Kingdom
    MK one or two
    Epcot maybe one day the age of the kids.
    Disney hollywood studeo one day.
    get your mine that you will not see it all!

if you have a car Do not take it to Magic Kingdom take the Disney bus
    or if MK close before Epcot, Park the car Epcot and take the monorail
    ask nice you may get in the nose of the monorail. I think is four people.

Some Disney dining place.
    DO I NEED ADVANCE RESERVATIONS? yes
    180 day book your seat time.
    most seat down dining.

One tip I like give is If you did not drive to Epcot and you watch illumination Reflection of Earth.
    goto Inernational gateway and goto one the disney resort to get on the bus to Down town disney.
    or Pisss tell fib to the resort security and park the car in Beach club and say you have Breakfast in the morring.
    Last edited by akfandisney; 12-27-2007 at 09:28 AM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Disney family Travel
    Last edited by akfandisney; 12-27-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• The Monkey's Uncle

Thank you all for taking the time to post.

I have started my planning doing different scenarios to maximize the time there. We may extend our stay 1-2 more days but I fear the young ones may not be up to the extended time away.

• I was deleted.

I really do agree with what Clinks said for the parks and hotels. I've also heard glowing reports about Wilderness Lodge. Remember Disney Resort guests get EMH mornings at the water parks also. That will be good for your nice, hot, July visit.

With the girls in mind, were you thinking of doing any character dining? If so Princesses, core characters, Pooh, Playhouse Disney, or what? Buffet or not? Breakfast, lunch, or dinner? There are some nice options out there so let us know what you were thinking. I'm big on the characters and enjoy these dining options.

As far as dining goes, keep in mind that reservations can be made as far as 180 days in advance and when you book with Disney you can include the Disney Dining plan if that is something you might want. It's not for everyone, but since you mentioned dining suggestions I thought I would mention it. Look on the WDW web site for full details. AllEarsNet has menus available online also. That's a great resource.
    Last edited by BigPigletFan; 12-27-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Hello;
    I just came from Port Orleans Riverside, Dec 7 thru Dec 14th. I went with my two children, my son 9, and my daughter 5.
    I hate to say it, but I have stayed at POR twice prior, and this time it seemed a little run down. My room needed a freshining up. The food court was great, and the main pool with the water slide was also a big hit with the kids.
    For moderate hotels, I have also stayed at Coronado Springs, and Caribbean Beach. Coronado was beautiful, but seemed to be geared toward business people, rather then families. Caribbean beach was alot of fun, but I thought I read somewhere that the main pool is going to be shut down for an extended period of time.
    Our best dining with the kids was at the Crystal Palace in the MK, and Chip and Dale's dinner in the Land in Epcot. But, the kid's overall favorite was the Hoop-de-do!
    Last edited by BARTSFAM; 12-31-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I forgot something

• The Monkey's Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    I really do agree with what Clinks said for the parks and hotels. I've also heard glowing reports about Wilderness Lodge. Remember Disney Resort guests get EMH mornings at the water parks also. That will be good for your nice, hot, July visit.

With the girls in mind, were you thinking of doing any character dining? If so Princesses, core characters, Pooh, Playhouse Disney, or what? Buffet or not? Breakfast, lunch, or dinner? There are some nice options out there so let us know what you were thinking. I'm big on the characters and enjoy these dining options.

As far as dining goes, keep in mind that reservations can be made as far as 180 days in advance and when you book with Disney you can include the Disney Dining plan if that is something you might want. It's not for everyone, but since you mentioned dining suggestions I thought I would mention it. Look on the WDW web site for full details. AllEarsNet has menus available online also. That's a great resource.

Yes.. Dinning suggestions would be appreciated. We have done the Ariels Grotto dinning here in DLR and they enjoyed it. Our 5 year old will hopefully continue to admire the princesses till July and by then...our 2 year old will be wearing costumes too... lol.

Hoop Dee Doo?? (Googling it now..) but Who is it? What is it? and why do kids love it?

thanx a bunch all.

• Pixiedust?

Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is a musical dinner show at Fort Wilderness Campground. It is pretty much a comedy show with lots of hijinks that both children and adults can enjoy while you are served all you can eat. But you do have to make reservations 180 days out to usually get in because it is so popular. It has three different price catagories, three different showtimes, and if you do the DDP, you can use two of your table service credits.

There is a more detailed explanation at AllEarsNet.
    Last edited by LilRah08; 01-01-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: I cannot spell today :(

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

my family just got back from WDW
    and we stayed at the coronado springs moderate hotel
    it was amazing
    we used the dinner plan which really was worth it