• MiceChat Partner Site

Semi-Trip Report Christmas Week

Christmas Week 2007

Let me say that after just returning from Walt Disney World it seemed this Christmas Week was the most crowded I can remember. We utilized EMH in the mornings at Magic Kingdom and that definitely helped out. We made our way through Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and into Frontierland getting most rides finished before 10 AM. But by about 10 AM the park was close to capacity (and even reached capacity on New Year’s Eve) and that began our trek to finishing up some of the lesser rides for us. We then ate a quick lunch and headed back to Animal Kingdom Villas for a swim.

The weather this year was unbelievable reaching record highs into the upper 80’s. Our biggest mistake was over packing. We took 4-5 sweatshirts for the AM and PM but there was really only one day that it was cold enough to wear them.

I can say that Walt Disney World during the Holiday season offers some of the most beautiful scenery I can recall. You truly get the feeling of the Holiday spirit at every park and resort.

Back to the “Peak Season” info…..We tried to make some last minute Dining Reservations and there were very few openings- most only had a table for two, or dinner at 9:30 PM. We heard many people at the parks or on the bus telling others that they were planning on walking up and eating at Cinderella’s Royal Table, even though they didn’t have reservations. That is the biggest mistake people make during the peak seasons….thinking that you can just walk up and eat at any table service restaurant you want. It seems now that it is almost mandatory to make your ADR’s as close to the 180 day mark as you can.

Another Peak Season thing that drives us nuts was the pool. Since it was so warm, many people went down to the pool and “reserved” chairs for their family by placing a towel over the chair at 8 AM. Nevermind that those people did not stay in their chairs, rather they would go back up to their rooms, eat breakfast, or even head to a park, then return. Yes we have overheard others say that. Those are just some examples of the peak season at Walt Disney World.

For my money I would say that the Castle Lighting Show might be one of the best things Disney has come up with in a while. My first thought was that placing lights on the castle would take away from its beauty, but I was wrong. I cannot do it justice as to how amazing it looks in person. It really gives you the feeling of ice covering the castle.

Also during Peak Season, FASTPASSES were gone for the day at most E-Ticket rides before noon. The average wait time for rides like Soarin’, or Space Mountain ran about 140 minutes. That is not as bad as I have seen in the past, but still two hours to wait for any ride is crazy. I saw so many people look at each other and comment how come people are going in the “other line” (FASTPASS). It is crazy that people do not utilize FASTPASS or even take the time to read their park map to understand how it works.

Finally, as with any Disney vacation, the joy of the trip, turns to a bit of sadness as you realize you have to head back to the real world again. Like most Disney fans though, that begins the task again of planning for our next trip (for us during another peak season), and the anticipation that it brings. As Mickey says, “See ya real soon!”

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Semi-Trip Report Christmas Week

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

First, a number of people who I've spoken with have said that it seemed slower this year in the parks than other years (for Christmastime). I was there on the 30th, it wasn't too bad until the MK started getting busier in the evening. Still, only a 70 minute wait for Space, 30 for Buzz. Not terrible. Also, you mentioned E-Ticket Fastpasses being gone by noon, but at the same time say it's crazy that people don't utilize it. It sounds like everyone that can get Fastpasses are getting them! They are getting them early.

I don't think that 2 hours is terrible for an E-ticket attraction during a very busy week. Not that I'd want to wait, but if I was from out of town, I would. Fastpass is still pretty new (compared with how long Disney has been around), and I used to wait in line when making trips from New Jersey.

There are a couple of websites (like touring plans, I've never used it) that are supposed to help with park planning. I've heard very good things about that. And as far as meals - there are some restaurants that need to be booked very early (180 days). Le Cellier for dinner. Ohana. Chef Mickeys. Coral Reef should be booked pretty early too. A lot of restaurants can be booked 90 days out, or sooner. I don't like to plan so far ahead, I skipped over most of my seatings in September because I like to be a bit more spontaneous. Peak season dining isn't much different than like - the free dine time. The restaurants fill up. Last ones available onsite are usually Germany and Morocco!

I really like the castle lighting too! Disney had a few nice things in store for 2007.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Semi-Trip Report Christmas Week

Oh - and you didn't really overpack. The weather in December, you never know. This week you would have wanted all those sweatshirts. Actually, I always have told people to bring clothes to layer. A couple of pairs of warm pants, t-shirts, a sweater, a jacket, etc. That way you can wear t-shirts when it's warm, and add more clothes as needed (without packing 5 of the same thing).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.