Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• World Traveler

Question What are the different ways to visit WDW?

Here's a strange question for you.

How would you categorize the different styles of visiting WDW?

• Some people visit for one to three days and want to do all the rides and see all the shows. I've heard this style of visiting "commando" style.
    • Some people stay about a week and take the time to see and do it all in a relaxing style. I'd call this the "Do it all" style.
    • People with annual passports visit often just to be there but might not even go on one attraction. I'd call this the "AP" style.
    • Some people don't want to enter a park at all to pay admission and just visit the resorts and Downtown Disney. I'd call this the "complimentary" style.
    Would you call these by another name? What other visiting styles are there?

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: What are the different ways to visit WDW?

I actually know a lot of AP'ers who still go commando (on the rides, that is!) I have an AP but don't always go to the parks - I might go with friends walking at a resort, or stop at a restaurant. It's sort of hard to peg people, as one person might go commando one trip, and take it easy the next.

And I have not yet "seen it all", that is hard to do!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have never been able to do it all on any of my Disney World Vacations. I go with an idea of what I want to accomplish, and I usually get close to my goals, but I always come back home to Chicago with a list of things that will have to wait until next time.

I call that my "There's Always Next Time" WDW Vacation.

• Super Old Guy

I'm right there with Barbaraann - there's always more stuff to come back for! I do a mixture of the styles listed. I'm pretty much commando in the mornings, getting in as much stuff as I can before the crowds and the temps get too oppressive. Then it's a nice lunch, back to the hotel for a nap, and then much more relaxed in the late afternoon/evening. I'll still catch some rides and shows if the lines are short. I usually eat well in the evening at one of Disney's table service restaurants, followed by drinks at the park's watering hole (Rose & Crown for Epcot, Tune In Lounge for the Studios), followed by fireworks. It makes for a full day, but not all rushing rushing rushing to see and do everything. There's ALWAYS a next time!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I like the break down. Commando is what my family ALWAYS did while I was growing up!

I remember when I first started the College Program, whenever I went to the park I would do this mad dash from attraction to attraction, I would abuse the Fast Pass system like nobody's business, I would just wear myself out going a mile a minute.

It took sometime to learn the "AP" way of doing things. I love just poping into DAK, seeing FOLK and then leaving.

Even when I go to DLR now I do it more AP style. I have learned that your days just go by soooo much better if you "stop and smell the churros."

Anyways...ya.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    I like the break down. Commando is what my family ALWAYS did while I was growing up!
    I don't know what my family did, I always left them and did my own thing. (even at 10!)

I liked to hit Space Mountain over and over in the morning, then go back to the resorts and ride boats - game room at the CR, etc. So I have done the Commando thing before, and occasionally I will (like during the Pirates/Princess party when it was soooo slow in February). But mostly I go for the exercise, and occasionally will hit a ride as well. If I'm with friends, I tend to go with whatever they prefer.

Of course, there could be "Micechat style" - for those who like to spend 7 hours during the Food and Wine Festival in WS! That was something very new to me, I felt like an antsy child. :0) "are we almost there yet"?
    Last edited by nbodyhome; 01-10-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Blog Entries

I'm just now learning to be an AP styler at theme parks. I have always been a commando style and still would from time to time if my wife would let me. She however, is a laid back type who could care less if we see everything or not. So we're definitely having to learn how to compromise when we go.

• Too far from Disney World

And what about the people that look up all the info they can before going so they try to not miss anything? I know before we went last fall I visited the WDW site, read books, visited forums to figure out the best way to go/see/do/eat/play/relax/shop/ride...I wasn't there yet but I was immersing myself in what I think of as the "disney culture". I'd call this the "planning style"!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    It's sort of hard to peg people, as one person might go commando one trip, and take it easy the next.

And I have not yet "seen it all", that is hard to do!
    I agree, I think I'm a combination of "See it all" in a relaxing style and "AP style", it depends on what's happening or whose visiting to be honest. LOL

Most of the time though we go and try and hit everything we like in a relaxing, laid back manner.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    • Some people visit for one to three days and want to do all the rides and see all the shows. I've heard this style of visiting "commando" style.
    In my early 20s when I would come with my brother (who was still a seasonal CM), we would have to do it this way, since we were usually using his free tickets (or some from his friends). We didn't make it to WDW very often, so we would rush to do whatever we could.

• Some people stay about a week and take the time to see and do it all in a relaxing style. I'd call this the "Do it all" style.
    When we visit with the entire family, we usually do it this way. Spend 6 or 7 nights, take our time, and do whatever we want, when we want (making sure to hit everything). This is probably my favorite way to do it.

• People with annual passports visit often just to be there but might not even go on one attraction. I'd call this the "AP" style.
    In recent years, I've done this a lot. Hit a couple of attractions, take lots of photos, and just take it all in.

• Some people don't want to enter a park at all to pay admission and just visit the resorts and Downtown Disney. I'd call this the "complimentary" style.
    I couldn't afford to renew my AP this July, so I had to do it this way in August. I was in Orlando for job interviews, and every night I would either hang out in DTD or the BW. It was terrible not being able to see a park. On my last day, my parents told me they'd pay for me to buy a 1-day ticket (which pained me, spending that much on a 1-day...too bad I couldn't afford to renew my AP), so I went to Epcot, did everything, and saw the wand coming down. Still, for most of the 10 days, I had to get my fix from BW and DTD...it just wasn't the same.

So while I've experienced WDW each of the ways you described, I'd have to say going for 7 or 8 days and doing it all in a relaxing manner is my (and my family's) favorite way to enjoy the World.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Mostly Harmless.

I go for the Drink Around the World style....
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Loves Mickey!

We would fit into your AP style category. Sometimes we go just to walk around and enjoy atmosphere and sometimes we will go ride an attraction have dinner and leave.

But when we were from out of town and still AP holders we would usually go comando so maybe it would be good to have seperate AP categories for out of town and locals?

• Mostly Harmless.

Honestly when I was an AP holder I did the Commando thing almost once a month for two years... (yes I had underwear on) I went 3 or 4 times without my kids I think and I just chilled. Went on a few rides but mostly enjoyed the atmosphere...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• I'm A

When I'm at MK I'll go commando On Tommorrowland. Then Hit both Mountains in Frontierland and then I'll end up relaxing the rest of the day.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Honestly when I was an AP holder I did the Commando thing almost once a month for two years... (yes I had underwear on) I went 3 or 4 times without my kids I think and I just chilled. Went on a few rides but mostly enjoyed the atmosphere...
    \

Is there a better word than "Commando"? Maybe like a - "go-getter". It's sort of like seeing MILF for the Monsters attraction...
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast