Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile First time WDW Visitor.... Question..

I live in so cal, 15 mins from Disneyland, and go almost every week. For the first time my friend and I are going to WDW finally. Jan 20-27th. And I have 3 questions....

We are staying at the Allstars hotel, is there anything walking distance.. markets, fast food, etc. ?

Also, how do you guys think the crowds will be.

And do they offer a special assistance pass there like they do for Disneyland here?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: First time WDW Visitor.... Question..

Hee hee. Depends what you consider "walking distance." I would have to say no. It is completely unlike DLR in that respect. You could take a resort bus to DTD. And the hotels have shops for food, snacks, some toiletries and medicines and stuff. But forget getting a pack of gum or smokes without going outside WDW - they are not sold anywhere there. Even from DTD it was a walk to get smokes!

• Can't get enough!

Yea, unless you have a car you are not getting anywhere off Disney property and there are no stores within walking distance. The huge McDonalds maybe close if you want to walk a while, not sure how close it actually is.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

When we stay at the resort--we drive over to the Crossroads shopping center. It's right next to Downtown Disney in some respects. Stock up of food and, yes, gum. It has a 'Goodings' which is mucho expensive--it knows it's the closest food store.

However, I find that, in a pinch, everything (albeit majorly expensive) can be snagged at the store on site. As for anything non-Disney, you do have to drive.

Which AllStars are you staying in? There are three, and they are right next to each other. The humor is, well, it appears like one REALLY big resort.

You'll love WDW. Forget what we old cynics have to say, you'll have a great time!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Little Miss Sunshine

I would skip over Goodings - there is a Publix only 2 or 3 miles away from Goodings that is fantastic. AND that is a walk away from the Character Premiere (Disney-owned) outlet across the street.

But in a pinch, if you needed anything besides what you have at the All Stars - Hess is good. You will only be able to walk to 2 - one from the Boardwalk and one from Downtown Disney. The MK one looks like it's much bigger, it was renovated a year or two back. I've not been. There will be a lot of fast food options at your food court.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by darrendman View Post
    I live in so cal, 15 mins from Disneyland, and go almost every week. For the first time my friend and I are going to WDW finally. Jan 20-27th.
    Congrats from one Dlander to another!
    We'll be there in the same time frame as you.

You will be shocked how BIG and spread out WDW is comparatively. It seems nothing is within walking distance of anything, hence the bus system within the property only.

We always have a car when we go because it does save tons of bus waiting times and we like to go off property to go to the grocery store for snacks and drinks, etc. Rental cars are dirt cheap in the Orlando area. We just scored a Thrifty Dodge Caliber for 10 days = $119.

The crowds should be non existent by WDW standards and the weather decent. You have shorter park hours but also no queue waits. That's why we chose this time of year.

Have a great time, how could you not?
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    there is a Publix only 2 or 3 miles away from Goodings that is fantastic. AND that is a walk away from the Character Premiere (Disney-owned) outlet across the street.
    Denise, would that be the Publix on Vineland near the 4? If it is, , we're staying at the Vistana Resort around the corner. The outlet in on my list of places to go now!!!
    ~~Jodi~~

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    Denise, would that be the Publix on Vineland near the 4? If it is, , we're staying at the Vistana Resort around the corner. The outlet in on my list of places to go now!!!
    Yes, that is it. It's a Super Publix (larger than average), you'll also have a Walgreens next door if needed. Publix is the local favorite for grocery stores, has the BEST bakery and great sandwiches and chicken tenders.

The Orlando Premium Outlet is right across the street, if you have a car you'll probably want to drive over (I've walked it when needed before). I love the Character Premiere!

I do like going to Disneyland for how close everything seems. I can walk off-property to a hotel in 10 minutes or less. Or to a nearby restaurant, though In and Out really needs a restaurant within walking distance!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Ahh the Vistana Resort... I stayed there... its very nice... but I made a promise to myself that from now on I am staying on property. This way I save on the rental car and can use that money toward other things... and if I want to get to the other parks (Seaworld, Universal), I just call Main Gate Taxi. They are super reasonable...

And to the OP, yeah the All star resorts are kind of tucked away in a corner of WDW, so you really can not walk to a store per se. You might be able to call a cab to take you to the Publix or any other supermarket, but unfortunately you can not walk.

Have fun though....

• Disneyland Grandee

Thanks Denise!

And Parisi, we have stayed at the Vistana 4 times an dlove it. We exchange our timeshare, so at $165 exhange fee, you can't beat that for a week anywhere!
    ~~Jodi~~

• Little Miss Sunshine

Thanks Denise!
    You are welcome!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Too far from Disney World

We stayed at the All Star Movies resort in September. Granted we had a car as we drove from Ohio to Florida. The McDonalds was semi-close by to the resort, but I think it would still be a good walk.

We asked at the front desk and there are a few Walmarts close by as well if you're looking for cheap snacks and gum. AND they had a huge selection of cheap Disney souvieners!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Disneyland Grandee

Here's a thought for you darrendman. This is what I always do:

Plug in your resort into googlemaps, then hit the search nearby button and plug in grocery stores or whatever you need to find. It may give you a better idea how far away everything is.
    ~~Jodi~~

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Yes, that is it. It's a Super Publix (larger than average), you'll also have a Walgreens next door if needed. Publix is the local favorite for grocery stores, has the BEST bakery and great sandwiches and chicken tenders.
    I second on the subs from the deli at Publix. I always get the Boar's Head roast beef with mayo, provolone cheese, lettuce, green pepper, black olive and a sprinkle of black pepper. YUMMERZ!

I'll be at WDW Jan 24th & 25th. Look for the blinged-out Mickey ears.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I second on the subs from the deli at Publix. I always get the Boar's Head roast beef with mayo, provolone cheese, lettuce, green pepper, black olive and a sprinkle of black pepper. YUMMERZ!

MMMMMMMM -that sounds great!

But if I'm gonna eat a big sammie, it's got to be Earl of Sandwich.
    ~~Jodi~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast