Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bed Bugs Visit Disney And They Pay Off The Guests Affected

Guests Say Bed Bugs Found In Orange County, Disney Hotels

POSTED: 4:51 pm EST January 11, 2008
    UPDATED: 5:26 pm EST January 11, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Bed bugs are infesting some high-end, Orange County resorts and some of the most well-known hotels are paying customers to stay quiet about it.
    The Orange County Health Department has given three main reasons why more and more bed bug sitings are occurring: 1) certain pesticides and cleaners have been banned, 2) there are more international travelers, and 3) an unseasonable warm winter means fewer of the bugs are being killed.
    Like a nightmare, the creepy creatures come while you sleep, but their bites last long after you are awake. The Orange County Health Department said it has seen a spike in bed bugs at area hotels, apartments and homes.
    "Our inspectors are saying in recent months, even the last year, we've been seeing more complaints of bed bugs in our area," said Dain Weister of the Orange County Health Department.
    Even the most popular hotels are not immune. One family said they were bitten by the bugs at the Disney All-Star Movie Resort. They backed out of an interview after they said Disney offered them $5,000 and a free trip to keep quiet.
    Hotels go to great lengths to keep the bugs at bay. Disney said it has trained entomologists or "bug experts" on staff. Other hotels hire bug sniffing dogs.
    One of the animals is based in Tampa, but makes frequent trips to inspect hotels in the Orlando area.
    "It's not necessarily about cleanliness. It's not necessarily that one place has an issue. It's just that these bugs can get in your luggage, in your clothes and they can travel. If they get into your bags they can also infest your home," Weister said.
    Joyce Bajac from Cleveland never even thought about bed bugs until now.
    "Now I'm going back to check my room," Bajac said.
    A good idea. While the insects don't carry disease, they can be an annoying problem.
    "At the headboard, look between the mattress and the box spring at the headboard. If you see a lot of black dots, that could be bed bugs," Weister added.
    When asked about offering money to the family who found bed bugs in their room, Disney said they occasionally compensates guests who have a less than magical experience and the park does everything it can to makes guests comfortable.

Re: Bed Bugs Visit Disney And They Pay Off The Guests Affected

Now let us hope that the British don't bring the Norivirus with them when they visit. It has already affected over 2.8 million

• I am number 4 of 999

WOW! I kept reading the term "bed bug" and thought, "Is this a joke? The joke is going to come at the end, right?"... I always thought they were a part of the rhyme, not an actual insect!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Little Miss Sunshine

I usually check my headboard and mattress before sleeping (I do forget occasionally, but it's better to be safe than sorry!)

I would say that $5000 and a free trip is pretty good hush money (to me, that is more than compensating for having problems). BUT, I think it is better to confront the issue and let guests know what to look for. It isn't the hotels fault if they get bed bugs, just if they don't tackle the problem. My favorite Paris (small family-run) hotel had bed bug issues a couple of years back, it can happen anywhere.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Wow. Those bed bugs sure are stubborn. You're right to say that it can happen anywhere. There was a bed bug outbreak here in the Anaheim area last year too. The local news made it sound like "bed bugs at Disney", but it was at a hotel nearby, not any of the DLR hotels. Still, it's something that Disney needs to keep an eye out for. Those critters seem pretty adept at getting around.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I'm not sure how much Disney can do for prevention - maybe just have the housekeepers check the mattresses and headboards each day.

Also - how would Disney know if the guests they compensate aren't the ones who brought the bugs with them? I'm sort of curious about that now. I would be surprised if the DL hotels never had any, since it just takes one guest carting them into the hotel room.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Blog Entries

We had taken care of the Bed Bug problem here in America, but the pesticide we used to do so was outlawed. So with the increased travel from abroad, its no surprise that they're starting to infest us again. And this time there's not an easy way out of it. There's not much the hotels can do to keep them out, but I think it would be wise for them to have someone come through every so often and inspect their rooms for them.

• Banned User

I think it's interesting that the all star is a high end hotel. Bed bugs are everywhere, even cruiselines warn their guests about them and they are not just at disney property, almost all the hotels in the orlando area have had to deal with them one way or another.

Dirty tourists bring them in, pretty nasty. Then the next guests in the room have to deal with them.
    -Wes

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    We had taken care of the Bed Bug problem here in America, but the pesticide we used to do so was outlawed. So with the increased travel from abroad, its no surprise that they're starting to infest us again. And this time there's not an easy way out of it. There's not much the hotels can do to keep them out, but I think it would be wise for them to have someone come through every so often and inspect their rooms for them.
    I knew it's been an issue for years, I'm reading online that 1999 was around when the bed bug issues resurfaced (for the reasons above). I don't put my luggage on the bed either.

I found this article interesting, maybe Disney needs bed bug sniffing dogs:

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...dog_vs_bedbug/

Bed bugs are gross - I'd hate to have to deal with them, but I imagine Disney has had to deal with this ongoing. With 20,000 rooms and many international guests, it has to happen occasionally.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Dirty tourists bring them in, pretty nasty. Then the next guests in the room have to deal with them.
    It doesn't have anything to do with being dirty. Bed bugs don't care about dirt or clean, they just want someplace to live and eat.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I don't know if the $5,000 was such a great idea. All you need is for this to hit the national news, and the line for five grand will stretch down to Cape Canaveral.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I don't know if the $5,000 was such a great idea. All you need is for this to hit the national news, and the line for five grand will stretch down to Cape Canaveral.
    I thought that too! It is like hitting the money and prize lottery. I have a feeling that they weren't supposed to say anything about what they received.

The Year of a Million Bedbugs (and even more Dream Prizes than expected!) I can just imagine someone bartering for Cinderellas Castle.

I really think that Disney should own up to the fact that they've had them, educate guests, and limit compensation. Otherwise, there may be some people who bring bedbugs in for profit.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Uh, no.

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    It doesn't have anything to do with being dirty. Bed bugs don't care about dirt or clean, they just want someplace to live and eat.
    EXACTLY!

As someone stated, bed bugs have become more prevalent for a number of reasons. Most notably, the lack of pesticides used in hotel rooms. Time was that all hotel rooms were sprayed with bug spray. Nowadays, not so much. That coupled with more international travel and lack of spraying commercial aircraft for pests (again, there was a time when all flights coming into the US from abroad were sprayed inside and out when the plane landed), it's no wonder these little critters are having a comeback.

They are nasty. My 2 nieces got them in Ireland and one of them just had nasty reactions to the bites. Poor thing looked awful.

The thing to do is lift the mattress and look under the sheets, in the creases of the bed and in those areas. If ya see lots of little black dots, more than likely it's bed bugs.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    The thing to do is lift the mattress and look under the sheets, in the creases of the bed and in those areas. If ya see lots of little black dots, more than likely it's bed bugs.
    And the black dots aren't the bugs themselves (which are brown and sort of flattish, like a larger brown sesame seed) but rather, their poo.

Isn't that lovely?

Yeah, I once stayed at a place where I had to deal with these critters, and besides having a bad reaction to the bites, which caused raised welts (which is the same thing I get for mosquito bites) it caused a lot of psychological trauma. Going to bed, thinking that bugs were going to come crawling up out of the bed and bite you (because that's what they HAD been doing). Thinking that you got one in your clothes perhaps, and that you might accidentally infest someone else's house, or your car, or your bags, etc. They are extremely nasty to get rid of too. Now it is years later, and every time I get an itch, my first thought is of bedbugs.

Really, $5,000 would barely begin to compensate (although, the people that actually do file lawsuits over these things would have to show that Disney knew about a bedbug problem in their room and didn't take proper steps to fumigate... which might be incredibly difficult).
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast