Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Where should we eat, what do we do/wear?

I know this sounds stupid but we (my dh and almost 9 yr old son) are going to DW for the first time in our lives and have no idea what we're doing. I booked a motel that I found online called the All Star Movies on DW. We bought the Magic your way 7 day ticket but two of the days will be taken up by flying there and back. We're coming from Illinois and this is our first vacation ever together. We are on a very tight budget and I am concerned about where we'll eat cheaply but still well. We're not big eaters...all light but, still worried since I keep reading how the food is so expensive everywhere.

We are charging most everything cuz we just dont have the money to afford to go anywhere...never seem to be able to save on my dh's salary and I am a stay at home, homeschooling mom. We just decided that since we've been promising our son we'd take him to DW since he was 3 that it was time to go...before he is grown. He turns 9 in February. This is his birthday present/combined vacation. We are hoping to get it paid off in a year or two but we need to keep things to a minimum. We considered staying off site but then figured with the price of rental cars and not knowing our way around, that could be a bad thing so we opted for the value resort. We bought the tickets with the water park option and more.

We should be there from Jan 22-Jan 28...leaving the 28th. Please give me some advice for first timers....My husband and I are older...in our fifties. What is a good schedule to follow for those days for our son? We dont know much about any rides or attractions. Our son is exactly 52" tall so he should be able to do most.

Also, what will the weather and crowd scene be like that week?? Thanks so much for any help/advise you can offer.

SJeanine

• Golden State of Mind

Re: Where should we eat, what do we do/wear?

you came to the right place gimme a second here to see if i can gather any info but trust me there are others here that will see this thread and will have all the right answers
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Little Miss Sunshine

I'm not really big on charging vacations, but you don't need a lecture on that. (I would probably delete that part!)

Okay...I'd probably not have splurged on the water park option, just the regular hopper. Hopefully you will get to use it twice for water parks. The price difference between a 5 and 7 day hopper or base is so slight, that even an hour or two at the parks make it worth it on travel days.

I can't think of anything that your son won't be able to do in the parks due to height (my 5 year old niece could pretty much ride anything). I think staying onsite is a good value for you, considering cars/gas do add up.

There are many fun things you can do on property for next to nothing or for a small fee. (like at Fort Wilderness, you can do the campfire movie for free, but buying S'more fixings will cost something). The food court at your resort is reasonably priced. I'd pack your bag with some snacks, cereal, a few things to help cut snack costs in the park. You are leaving in a week, I'd normally have suggested a book or a site like Tour Guide Mike (which might still help you). There are many wonderful attractions in each park, and it doesn't matter your age - it depends more on your interests.

I hope you use the water park portion, it almost pains me that you bought it and I want to make sure it at least pays for itself. Since you DO have it - I would suggest taking your son to DisneyQuest one day. You probably won't be there but for a few hours, but they do have really great food inside (counter service) and reasonably priced. The burgers are my favorite on property. You may not enjoy DisneyQuest as much yourself, again - it just depends. I am 41 and it's something I do like!

You know, I'd really say to do the Tour Guide Mike planner. That isn't something I'd normally advise, usually I'd go with a book or two. But you are really limited on how much time you have until you leave, and I think that would streamline everything for you. I could suggest and answer many questions, but I think that would save you a lot of headaches.
    Last edited by nbodyhome; 01-14-2008 at 12:48 PM.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Little Miss Sunshine

I would actually go to AllEars for menus, that is always where I send everyone for updated prices (though some are more updated than others - menus/prices do change). You can also do things like - instead of getting lunch inside Epcot, go to the Spoodles pizza window and order a pizza for everyone. I often go there for a slice, because it's enough for a meal for me (it's about an 8 minute walk from Epcot). For $17.99 (if that hasn't changed), you can get a 16" pizza.

Here is the menus on Allears:

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Golden State of Mind

The All Star Movies resort has a great food court called cinema hall. it has pretty much everything, bakery, convenience market, pasta, burgers, barbecue, and pizza theres a playground, theme pools, and plenty off shopping at the All Star Resorts (hardly a motel) The All Star Movies just got a face lit so it should be in great shape for you, hey im excited for you.

So im assuming you figured that there is complementary bus transport provided by disney to all the theme parks, water parks, and downtown disney. The monorail runs from Epcot to the Magic kingdom, and the Magic Kingdom resort loop. But for hoppers the one from epcot to the kingdom is the one you should focus on.

Now the water park thing makes me scratch my head a little. You tix for the water parks as well? I know blizzard beach is closed till march, im not sure about typhoon lagoon, i just assumed they both closed maybe its open.

You have to go to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. They are all great, packed with theme you will have no other choice but to walk out of their with a big smile on your faces. The only major ride that is currently down is Splash Mountain which is sad but you can def. make up for it with all the other rides there.

-MK-
    Space Mountain
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Haunted Mansion
    Jungle Cruise
    Thunder Mountain
    Philar Magic
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster

-Hollywood Studios-
    Rock N Roller Coaster
    Tower of Terror
    Star Tours
    Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show
    Indiana Jones Stunt Show
    Backlot Tour

-EPCOT-
    Soarin'
    Mission Space
    Test Track
    All the countries on World Showcase

-Animal Kingdom-
    Kali River Rapids
    Expedition Everest
    Safari
    Dinosaur
    Jungle Trek

As said by another poster bring snacks and drinks to the park everyday, all the parks have plenty of snack stand and small counter service places to eat. If you wanna stay cheap unfortunatly you may want to stay away from the character meals. Downtown Disney is like its on park, but without rides. it has a lot of places to eat shop and just chill out i recommend checking it out.

Disney cast members are some of the nicest and helpful people you will meat, dont be afraid to ask one for some help because they can all probally give you more advice than me. They best advice i can give you is walk into the park with a smile remembering that maybe you cant do it all but you can still have a lot of fun. So grab a park map and times guide and your good to go.

• Little Miss Sunshine

There is always one water park open. During winter, one park is pretty much always closed (I don't know what dates). If you don't want to do a Tour Guide Mike type thing, I would suggest printing out some general information for yourself. That would include:

Park Hours:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...onthlyViewPage

Print out the fireworks times, early entry dates, etc.

As well as menus. It is too late for nearly any character dining, or many other restaurants anyway.

Oh - weather can be cold, warm, or both. A couple of days ago, it was very warm out. Today, high 60's, low 41. I'd check the weather report before you leave, and make sure you have clothes you can layer.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Golden State of Mind

you can always get into a character meal

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    you can always get into a character meal
    Many of them have PS's sold out ahead. If you called today for reservations for Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys, CRT, Norway, most of them - it is very possible that there would be no availability. If flexible, it might be possible to get a first seating early at Chef Mickeys (getting in line early), or 1900 Park Fare, maybe mid-afternoon Crystal Palace. With the dining plan, it isn't so easy anymore. I remember that I used to able to call Chef Mickeys on a Saturday and have my choice of times for the evening. That was a number of years ago now. I spent 7 years planning Disney trips (one year actually at Disney), it is very different now than it was.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Golden State of Mind

i guess i ve just gotten lucky i ve only made reservations for one once.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    i guess i ve just gotten lucky i ve only made reservations for one once.
    It very well may be that a few of the restaurants have openings at this late date. There wouldn't likely be much, but I'm thinking Liberty Tree, Hollywood and Vine, 1900, those are ones that don't get booked out as far.

Chef Mickeys is VERY popular. Crystal Palace is as well, but they are open all day (3 meals). Cinderellas tends to sell out still closer to the 90 day mark, at least last time I checked. Restaurants such as Le Cellier and Ohana tend to sell out PS's quicker. (Le Cellier you really do need to call 6 months out for, and I would really say Ohana and Chef Mickeys as well). 1900 isn't as well known as Cinderellas, so it's where I'd stick guests if Cindys was shut out. I think the food is better as well. And now it's much less expensive.

However, for a meal on a budget - I'd recommend Trails End for breakfast or lunch. They are much busier also now with the dining plan, it's good to have a res for breakfast (not as often needed for lunch). It can generally be made a day or two out. You can really fill up on good comfort food for a reasonable sit-down price.

Also, the All Star Movies hasn't yet been refurbed, that is the Music. The rooms are supposed to be very nice. The Movies I just stayed at for a night in December, nothing is different. It really is a motel in the definition sense (room doors facing outside, and parking nearby the room).
    Last edited by nbodyhome; 01-14-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Circle of Ancients

Character meals and budgets don't really go hand-in-hand.

As Denise said, I would try to get rid of the water-parks option. With only 5 days you will have MORE than enough to do at the 4 parks to keep you busy.

As for food, normally I would suggest places like 'Ohana or some of the EPCOT restaurants, etc. But that's also not condusive to a budget.

All of the parks do have fast-food type options. And I've actually found the food prices to not be too bad.

One restaurant I can recommend that won't break the bank would be the Sci-Fi Drive-In at Disney Studios. It's not much more than the fast-food options at the park (maybe $2 to $3 more per person) but it will give you a great "Disney Dining" experience.

Other than that, your hotel food court is probably sufficient for most meals.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Character meals and budgets don't really go hand-in-hand.

I very much agree with that.

I would bet the OP already has ticket in hand or with a package, and they might not be able to ramp down the ticket. I'm sure they can ask at ticket guest services. If they had a Key to the World ticket (part of their room, not a package), then I don't think that is a problem at all still. If they just have normal tickets, I'm not sure if you can subtract features, but maybe.

I find the Sci-Fi really pricey, though I do like the atmosphere. I don't tend to like the fast food options at the Studios, I think the food courts at the value resorts tend to have better options. (my favorite is at the Pop Century).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Can't get enough!

Bring simple breakfast foods like poptarts to eat in your room and that is one less meal you would need to buy in the parks. Also all the menu items at counter service restaurants can come al la carte. They only show them sold as meals but if you don't want the side etc. you can order just the burger or whatever. One idea is to order a double cheeseburger and then a plain bun, take one pattie from the burger and put it on the extra bun and you got two cheeseburgers! Buns run about $0.60!!!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Ohanas' at the Polynesian resort.

If you fail to eat there, you have robbed yourself of the perfect vacation....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast