Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pal Mickey, resort check-in, too scary for a 4 year old?

Some questions here about our up-coming trip....

Keeping in mind we have an almost-4-year-old with us....

Pal Mickey - fun or just annoying? And how much does he cost?

Check-in at Pop Century - I know the rooms are technically not ready until 3 pm but we are flying from the west coast and leave the airport at 7:45 pm and arrive in Florida at 7:30 EST (4:30 am by our time!!!!!) and we won't be able to get a nap in after that hell night!!???? HE'S NOT EVEN 4!!! Is there ANY possibility they will let us into a room before 3 pm? I mean, most of the flights back to the west coast leave Orlando around 8 am so people HAVE to be checking out between 5 and 6 am right? Can't they have some rooms available before 3 pm for those who arrive early? Especially those with little kids?

Ok - on to the rides. Jaxon is officially 40" tall now (just BARELY without shoes and fine with) so he can go on most rides. But are there some that he just should NOT go on? I am especially wondering about Dinosaur and Stitch. Too scary? (We won't be doing any of the coasters). What about Mission Space? And how does the kid swap work at WDW? Any tips?

I saw a photo in Cohete's trip report for some sort of Stitch show at Cosmic Ray's. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is worth it? Jaxon LOVES Stitch.

Anywhere to catch the Cars characters?

Thanks guys!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Pal Mickey, resort check-in, too scary for a 4 year old?

They may have a room available. Pal Mickey is fun and annoying. I would think about attractions like Dinosaur, ITTBAB, Stitch, and anything that might be fast or high. I am not sure the height requirement on MS, but I'd do - what is it called, the green side? The one that motion sick people would do instead. I'm not sure if baby swap works with older kids. You probably won't have to swap too often anyway, but each attraction handles it differently.

Also - with rooms, sometimes they will say (once you arrive) that the rooms will be ready "between 3 and 5". More often, I've gotten in early. But sometimes not until 4 or so. It partly depends on how busy the resort is. And on housekeeping. I've had very good experiences though with housekeeping and rooms at the POP. I would call and note on your reservation that you will be there early.

Cars - MGM. I don't remember Stitch at Cosmic Rays. (I know Sonny Eclipse is there, but I don't remember anything else).

Thinking about the attractions - I'd start with smaller ones, like Big Thunder Mountain (which isn't in the dark nor goes upside down), as well as Gooys Barnstormer and move up from there. And I'm scared of Dinosaur and ITTBAB. Not all kids will be.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

[Question] - Pal Mickey, resort check-in, too scary for a 4 year old?

I would have the 4 year old check himself in with an adult.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Quote Originally Posted by abarry90 View Post
    Fun or annoying? I guess it depends on who you are talking about - the four year old or the grown-ups. We took MickeyMaxx's four nieces and nephews to WDW two years ago. They ranged in age from two and a half to seven years old. They shared one Pal Mickey and absolutely adored him. They giggled at all of the jokes NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES HE TOLD THE SAME ONE! (Caps added to indicate how the grown-ups felt about Pal Mickey ).

I think he cost about eighty bucks two years ago.
    Rick

• Be Patient I'm Learning!!

I haven't actually gotten a Pal Mickey yet, but I plan on it! I figure that he will be fun for the first few days in each park, then I will get bored or more likely tired of carrying him around and will end up leaving him in the room, but it's one thing I am willing to splurge on for my first time at WDW. I have been given reports that he is about $70 in the parks, I have seen him on Ebay (usually used) but he is considerably cheaper.
    Christina

Heehee - what? you don't think he can handle getting himself checked into the hotel?

WOW $70-80 for Pal Mickey? We'll pass... might check Ebay though. Hadn't thought of that. So how does he work then? You don't have to pay to get him to "work?"

• Be Patient I'm Learning!!

WOW $70-80 for Pal Mickey? We'll pass... might check Ebay though. Hadn't thought of that. So how does he work then? You don't have to pay to get him to "work?"

No, the way I understand it is that you buy him, you take him with you and he should just start receiving transmissions when you get to the parks, however you can take him to a store and get him a "tune-up" to get him updated (which isn't supposed to cost a thing). Remember that the newest version is the Sorcerer Mickey and that's the one that has the most jokes, games, information, etc.
    Christina

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

You might have to book the hotel for the night before you arrive, and then let them know you'll be checking in first thing in the morning. That's probably the only way to guarantee there will be a room ready for you that early, because it will already have your name on it.
    A signature should go here.

• I'm A

So how does he work then? You don't have to pay to get him to "work?"
    Nope you just turn him on and then walk through the parks he'll buzz and you can listen to everything he has to say.
    Visit

Click the Banner

Ok - on to the rides. Jaxon is officially 40" tall now (just BARELY without shoes and fine with) so he can go on most rides. But are there some that he just should NOT go on? I am especially wondering about Dinosaur and Stitch. Too scary? (We won't be doing any of the coasters). What about Mission Space? And how does the kid swap work at WDW? Any tips?
    I might recommend trying a ride without your son to see if he would be okay with it or not. I know this can be tough to accomplish on a tight vacation schedule, but this generally produces the best results, because who knows your son better than you?

What might help is using child swap (sometimes referred to as rider switch). Just ask and Cast Member at the attraction's entrance to see if it is offered, and if so how it works for that attraction. Using the child swap, you can have one parent go on the ride, and when they get done they can report back as to whether or not they think your son would be okay with it. If they think that he'd be okay, then take him with you when you go to ride, otherwise you can leave your son with another person in your group and enjoy the attraction yourself.

Also, as was mentioned, don't automatically count out the coasters (unless you're sure that your son does not want to ride). Goofy's Barnstormer is a great first roller coaster for a child. It's pretty mild, cartoon-y, and all lit up and outdoors. If he's okay with that, work your way up.

I saw a photo in Cohete's trip report for some sort of Stitch show at Cosmic Ray's. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is worth it? Jaxon LOVES Stitch.
    I'm not sure about a Stitch show at Cosmic Ray's, but I do know that Stitch does a meet and greet in Tomorrowland almost all day (ending mid-afternoon or so). There's also Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic Ray's

Try near the Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    You might have to book the hotel for the night before you arrive, and then let them know you'll be checking in first thing in the morning. That's probably the only way to guarantee there will be a room ready for you that early, because it will already have your name on it.
    You have to be careful of that, not being considered a "no-show". I've had to deal with this as far guests in the past - just letting the front desk know that they'd be a day late. It can be a hassle.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    You have to be careful of that, not being considered a "no-show". I've had to deal with this as far guests in the past - just letting the front desk know that they'd be a day late. It can be a hassle.
    Right, you'd have to get it in writing that they acknowledge you're going to be a (very) late check in, and of course, they'd have to agree to hold your room.
    A signature should go here.

• Can't get enough!

Thanks guys!
    There is a singing alien named Sonny- he's cool but he's not Stitch.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• Why can't you tune a fish

Keeping in mind we have an almost-4-year-old with us....

Check-in at Pop Century - I know the rooms are technically not ready until 3 pm but we are flying from the west coast and leave the airport at 7:45 pm and arrive in Florida at 7:30 EST (4:30 am by our time!!!!!) and we won't be able to get a nap in after that hell night!!???? HE'S NOT EVEN 4!!! Is there ANY possibility they will let us into a room before 3 pm? I mean, most of the flights back to the west coast leave Orlando around 8 am so people HAVE to be checking out between 5 and 6 am right? Can't they have some rooms available before 3 pm for those who arrive early? Especially those with little kids?

Thanks guys!
    The room thing has been pretty much covered - you can try. There is a good chance that you will get it before 3, but not a guarentee.

Here is a tip. be nice. Really, it works. Ask the CM is there is any possibility that they can get you into ANY room. Smile, ask nicely, and remeber that they will be doing you a favor. It works for me. Sometimes I get a room, sometimes I have a 30-40 minute wait.

As far as rides. Here is the tried and true answer that does not help - It depends on your kid. My youngest daughter was riding Mission Space (before there was an green and orange) Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, and anything else she could get on when she was your sons age - and she was laughing the whole time. Her favorite ride of all time is Tower of Terror. She is currently 6

My oldest, who is currently 9, has to bribed to get on Tower of Terror - she still hates that ride.

Two sisters, two different people, two different reactions.

So, are they rides that are definately going to be too much for your child, no they are not. There are kids your sons age that enjoy them. However there are kids (of all ages) that do not like them. Use your judgement when you get there. Me, I took my kids on everything, but thats just me.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Former CM

I done 3 trips where I've taken the red eye from CA to WDW. 2 of the 3 had rooms for us right when we checked in (POFQ and CBR). The exception was Coronado Springs due to it having a convention, but we did get into our room early (11am). They will allow you into the room early if they have the space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast