Pal Mickey - Old vs New

What are the differences between the older versions of Pal Mickey and the newer?

Re: Pal Mickey - Old vs New

Are you talking about a new version of the actual Pal Mickey (stuffed animal) or the "new" version now called Disney Magic Connection?
    -Tim

Hadn't heard of the Magic Connection. But no - we want to give Mickey as a birthday present for our soon to be 4 year old for our upcoming vacation.

• For You!

I got one last summer - it was fun, but my 6 year old got tired of carrying it.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

The newer ones have more information and games. The olders don't. For example, Pal Mickey 1.0 tell you about Alien Encounters and it isn't there. Pal Mickey 3.0 tell you about Stitch.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

That's odd that the info would be out of date. I thought they updated park info upon entering each park. Is that "updated" info limited to schedules then?

Quote Originally Posted by abarry90 View Post
    That's odd that the info would be out of date. I thought they updated park info upon entering each park. Is that "updated" info limited to schedules then?
    Well when I went in Summer 2006, I had my cousin's Pal Mickey 1.0 and I tried to update him. The cast members told me that the new Pal Mickey had the updates. It is nothing major, just some minor new stuff for information. So far there have been three Pal Mickeys, Pal Mickey 1.0 with shorts only, Pal Mickey 50th Anniversity edition with tuxedo, and the latest one, Year of a Million dreams Mickey with the outfit from Fantassa. I have the latest one and it has the updated stuff.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Why would they update it automatically for free when they can sell you another one for a huge markup?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Geoff London

The chip in your Pal Mickey contains information "up to date" at the time you bought it. The theory is that when you next enter the parks with him switched on and facing forward he will be updated. Note: Updated not upgraded. The way to test this is to go infront of thr Roy & Minnie statue in Town Square. If Mickey vibrates and tells you about it, he's updated. Note though that he cannot learn new phrasesso will not be able to tell you about new rides / attractions. Any problems head for City Hall.

Pal Mickey's electronics and batteries are encased in plastic housings (the original version's housing is black or white, the second version's is yellow, and the third version's is white) which can be accessed by unzipping the back of the toy. Beneath the zipper is an on/off switch which enables or disables the toy's squeeze and infrared sensors to prolong battery life.
    The toys are shipped with batteries installed, and they are set to "demo mode" while they are on store shelves: they ignore infrared signals, and squeezing them will make them recite a sample of tips as if they were near park attractions.
    It has been reported that the infrared transmitters in the parks are able to identify individual Pal Mickey toys and roughly track their locations as they are carried around, thereby letting Disney collect information about guests' progress through the parks. If this is true, the information collected would be anonymous, since nothing identifies a specific Pal Mickey as belonging to a specific person or family. However this is very useful as it shows a general pattern for families, who are Disney's main target audience. Most guest with a Pal Mickey are likely to have children, therefore this shows what attractions are and aren't popular with younger visitors. Nothing has been said about whether they will expand this idea to the other Disney Resorts.

I also hear that they are going down the path of - if he's an old one you need to buy a new one because.................

The new Magic Connection system they are testing is based on a DS unit - it will display maps, video etc. and so is vastly different to Pal Mickey. It will also give you wait times and tell you what Fastpass time slot is available for each ride.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Minion

Blog Entries

those are awsome! why can't we get them in Ca?

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    those are awsome! why can't we get them in Ca?
    DL is missing wireless infrastructure.
    That doesn't mean that you won't get it. It will just be a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.