Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Partner Site

Which Value Resort is the best?

Please stop over to www.WDWpeakseasons.com and check out this week's blog entitled, "Which Value Resort is the best?". After reading let me know your thoughts here about what is your favorite and why.

Also if you would like to see this week's (January 28) new and inproved Newsletter send an email to [email protected] as well.

Take care everyone!!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Which Value Resort is the best?

I like the Pop, including walking around and enjoying the atmosphere. I didn't like the buses to/from the Pop, the lines generally are too long and it's easier and much quicker to drive. Also, the rooms are slightly upgraded from other values - except for the Music, the rooms there are supposed to be very nice (I have not stayed there since the refurb).

Generally, it's not parents at the All Stars letting kids run around. There are lots of sports teams, which is why many more kids are loose. Pop has, to me, more of a family atmosphere and not a rah-rah sports feel.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I did my College program at All Star Sports! So I am kind of biased, however, I personally love the Jazz Building at All Star Music!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Pop!

definitely use the buses. they were faster than me driving over and parking. Okay it was peak season and lines getting into the park (parking) were pretty bad.

the bus was quick and easy.

for people who use wheelchairs, Pop is really great. It is as close as a WDW resorts gets to being level. really nice on wheelchairs (or their pushers).

It has a LAKE!!! love water - but don't like pool views (can be too loud). a lake view at a value resort - perfect! Especially since this is standard view.

the arcade is big enough for the pre teens and teens set. the swimming pools are great too.

love the food court and the CM's who dance! the frozen cokes. go here even when not staying here. the atmosphere is nicer than what you would expect for a value.

Blog Entries

I've stayed at the Pop several times and love it for what it is. The bus lines to get back to the Pop can be a pain at times, but I don't know how they compare to the higher quality resorts.

Of the different value resorts, I think the atmosphere at the Pop is the best. It definitely feels like a family resort and I've never had problems with people letting their kids just run crazy all over the place.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by spiceypj View Post
    Pop!

definitely use the buses. they were faster than me driving over and parking. Okay it was peak season and lines getting into the park (parking) were pretty bad.
    I was there in September (11 nights for free dine - crazy!), but after 5 of 6 days of buses, it was just too much for me. I could drive to Epcot in 5 minutes instead of waiting through 2 buses (sometimes a half hour). At night, it seemed like the only line was for Pop! But it may depend on the time of year, Disney could have really bumped the bus staff up over the holidays.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Blog Entries

I try to never go during the peak times so its definitely easier for me to just take a bus. There's never really much of a wait for the buses during the slower times, especially mid week. I think I'd definitely agree with you when the crowds are crazy though.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've stayed at Pop Century twice (most recently last week) and I love it. I'm hoping to stay there again in May.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I have only stayed at Music, so I can't do a comparison - but I really e joyed it. We got a surprise upgrade to one of the newly done suites. we didn't have too much of an issue w/kids running around screaming, we were in a great location - both building wise and room wise. I liked it a lot for what it was (cheap!). We only had a few long waits for busses, but nothing horrible. We were also lucky that our friend gave us a ride a lot (renting a car is the way to go!!)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I've found after staying at Pop twice and All-Star Music once that I actually like the Music better. It seems to be a little more intimate, with neat little fountains and the Calypso pool. I just thought it seemed a little more magical.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

I've always stayed off-site except for last January when we stayed at All-Star Movies. I actually didn't mind the sports team/cheerleader atmosphere because it seemed like I had a lot in common with everybody there. The crowd may have spanned the demographic spectrum, but it seemed like everybody fit into roughly the same financial block. We were all from far away, all on the trips of our life, and all bright-eyed and thankful to be there.

And maybe that's the magic of the value resorts. I remember one crowded night at the guest laundry there. I sat there for hours doing my family's laundry with some people from Ukraine, a youth group from Japan, and a midwestern family. We all joked around and had a blast.

During that same trip I spent a lot of time at some of the more upscale resorts (a bunch of relatives traveling together but staying at different resorts- some of us having a bit more money than others) and I definitely preferred the crowds at my little value resort. And the thing is, it may be a value resort, but it would be a luxruy hotel in, say, Anaheim or San Diego.

Never been to Pop, but I sure have fond memories of Movies.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    And the thing is, it may be a value resort, but it would be a luxruy hotel in, say, Anaheim or San Diego.
    I really like the Pop Century very much - but I've stayed at some much nicer hotels in Anaheim (Ayres Anaheim, Marriott to name two of them). I would put the Pop Century more on par with....it's sort of hard, because even the Best Westerns are upgrading their bedding and at least some have mini-fridges included. But I'll go with that. The Pop does have much more theming, a great food court, etc. It's sort of hard to compare.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Partner Site

Several of you have asked if I could post a sample of my newsletter but I cannot find a place to add an attachment so here is the blog from the newsletter this week. If you would like to view the newsletter send me an email. thanks and here is our take for the best Value resort:

Weekly Blog

“Which Value Resort is the best?”

The Values are the cheapest, have the smallest room types, and offer the least amenities. There are four value resorts: All-Star Sports, All-Star Music, All-Star Movies, and Pop Century.

Each has a unique theme throughout the resort and are perfect for all ages. The colorful décor and larger-than-life Disney icons are special touches to the Value resorts. Pop Century is the largest, but also the newest of the values resorts. The food courts and arcades will please children. Well-themed swimming pools are also eye-catching. The question you have to ask yourself first is how much time will you be spending in your room? The value resorts are a great choice for anyone who will be spending most of their time in the parks and would like the benefits of staying on-site while paying the least for their accommodations. You can stay a few days longer at Walt Disney World by the savings you may get by staying at a value resort.

So which one of the values is the best? Our vote is for Pop Century. It is the newest of the values and has the largest arcade as well as food court and lobby. Trust us, the lobby is very important when there are 50 people checking in, you want some space! Pop Century also has 3 different pools to use. The three All-Star resorts are close together and someone could walk from resort to resort if they wanted. We found that it is easier going from pool to pool at Pop Century, than resort to resort for the All-Stars. The All-Stars also share buses many times, thus making it like that it will be a packed bus. If you like specific themes such as music, sports, or movies, then any of the All-Stars would work. We have stayed at all of the values, and have found that at the All-Stars, it seems parents tend to let their kids roam a lot more without supervision. Pop Century seems more “under control” if you will.

If you are planning on spending little time in your room, want a cheaper alternative for accommodations, but still want to be immersed in the Disney atmosphere, there is no better place than a value.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Several years ago budget forced me to stay at the All Star Sports, and I hated it. It's OK for what it is, but I just couldn't get over the feeling that I was slumming it Disney style. Flash forward a few years and my first stay at the Pop - night & day! I was really expecting to dislike it, but I found it to have a much more plush feel than the All Stars. The landscaping is nicer, and I think the room decor is a little nicer as well. I'm a moderate kind of guy, but if I have to stay at a value, it's the Pop or nothing!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Flash forward a few years and my first stay at the Pop - night & day! I was really expecting to dislike it, but I found it to have a much more plush feel than the All Stars.
    "Plush" isn't quite the term that comes to mind (for me) with the Pop. But I do think the rooms are much brighter (at least than the Sports/Movies, both of which I've stayed at in the past 13 months). And when Disney designed the Pop Century, they kept in mind some things that people didn't like about the All Stars. I don't remember everything, but one was how the curtains criss-cross over each other, to keep light out.
    That was new to the values with the Pop Century. Little touches to upgrade the resort.

There are many things I like about the Pop (and I never expected to like it, partly because of that big DUH you can see from the road). Some of them:

The location (an easy drive over to Epcot)
    The lake, it's really a nice walk in the evening or during the day
    The food court (including "the hustle" and the Mom's turkey dinner a couple of nights per week).
    There is an indoor AND outdoor bar - the Pop is the only value resort to have both
    I like the lobby decor, and the room decor as well (it feels much brighter to me than the Sports/Movies).

I actually enjoy many of the icons, like the Mr. and Mrs. Potato Heads, and anything that reminds me of the 80's!

BUT, I've heard that the All Star Music rooms are really nice now. I just feel like I'm in the boonies when I'm at the All Stars. And I just like the Pop.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast