Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Suspended

Does it make sense to visit the Magic Kingdom for one day?

Hi,

My wife and I have been discussing this issue for some time. We'll be visiting Miami this weekend. Our son is almost 2 years old. Lately he's been going crazy over "Icky" (Mickey) and "Ato" (Donald), and this crazy idea of driving over to Orlando crossed our minds.

I say crazy because we'll be in Miami for 3 days only. Saturday, Sunday, part of Monday.

Our plans go like this: fly on Friday night to Miami, shopping in Miami on Saturday, drive late afternoon to Orlando, spend Sunday at the MK, head back to Miami on Monday, catch our flights back, take a deep breath (don't laugh, that's all the vacation time we have available!).

We now by now our son can take long travel - he has been twice to Canada and Costa Rica (in less than a year!). What we don't know, though - will he even enjoy it? Sure, he likes WD cartoons, and he loves his toys, but will he be old enough for the whole MK concept?

Or should we consider this experience a good thing for us as parents?

For the record, my sister and brother in law will come with us (they live there) if we want to...

Is this crazy?

Blog Entries

Re: Does it make sense to visit the Magic Kingdom for one day?

I've done it several times. Just only focus on one park. Sure you'll have a much better time if you can relax and hit all the parks at a leisurely pace, but you can have a blast on just one day too. I'd focus on just the Magic Kingdom with your two year old and let him have a blast.

The only reason I'd say it doesn't make sense to do just one park is due to financial issues as its much cheaper to get the 4 day pass, but of course you'll only be there for one day so you don't need any more days.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I think it's a great plan. You'll have a full day in one park, and maybe you can enjoy the previous evening hanging out at one of the resorts as well. My 2 year old nephew LOVED the MK and AK. And the nice thing - you don't have to pay for your sons ticket.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

definitely!

just to be sure to see what he wants - not what you want.

since this is for him.

My kids were both 22 months when they went to Disneyland for the first time and they just loved it! I'd go for it!

My eight month old nephew smiles and laughs the whole time he is there just based on what he can see out of his stroller, and my three year old nephew loves it also, so unless there is some intermediate non-Disney stage between eight months and three years old I'm sure he will love it.

It's neat how young kids recognize the Disney name. When my sister and I were scheduled for Traditions we drove to Disney University a few days ahead of time to make sure we knew how to get there. We just drove through the parking lot and then left. As we were driving away my nephew (the three year old one) started crying; it turned out he had seen the word "Disney" on the the side of the the building. He didn't know what was in there but he knew he wanted to go! We felt really bad, needless to say the first thing we did when we got our Main Gate passes was to take him there.

I see a lot of young kids who are asleep, but most of them that are awake seem pretty happy. (I count all the tuckered out ones as happy, that's how they get worn out!)

-Harry

Blog Entries

Just be prepared that there is a lot of stimulus in the parks for kids. Everything is so much larger than life, and there's so many colors and movement that it sometimes gets to be too much for them after a while. You may need to take a break and let him just relax a little bit before getting back into everything.

• I was deleted.

If you want it (and it sounds like your son does too) GO FOR IT!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I go for just one day all the time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    My kids were both 22 months when they went to Disneyland for the first time and they just loved it! I'd go for it!
    I am sorry but how could a 22 months old child love anything other that it's pacifier and mother at that particular age? Sounds more like a parent's wishful thinking as opposed to a true life realization for a child that young.

Blog Entries

I am sorry but how could a 22 months old child love anything other that it's pacifier and mother at that particular age? Sounds more like a parent's wishful thinking as opposed to a true life realization for a child that young.
    You obviously have never had children have you. My child is only 6 months old and is already fascinated with things around him. Now he's still too young for all the stimulus of Disney, but he's fascinated by the world around him. A 22 month old is almost two years old for Gods sake, they love a lot at that point.

•   
    • Seasick

I think my brother was three or so for one of my family's WDW trips. Let me tell you, he was extremely excited by the electrical parade. We're talking really excited here. Smiling and clapping and hopping about excited. Does he remember it now? No. But it was certainly worth it IMO. Makes for a great family memory.

Like most people say, just be sure to tailor the day to your child's needs.

• Little Miss Sunshine

My nephew is just past 2 years old (barely), and is certainly a fully functioning little person. He talks in full sentences, runs around, lets his parents know what he likes and doesn't like.

2 years old is a great age for Disney. And it's a fun day for the whole family - which is the point, the whole parents/kids doing things together. Or so said Walt.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• World Traveler

I have no opinion on whether an infant will enjoy WDW or not, but I would suggest a few things.

1. Why don't you try to change your airline ticket to fly directly to Orlando?
    2. Do your shopping in Orlando. They have some great stores there too and the sales tax might even be a little less.
    3. Be sure to stay at a Disney resort, so you maximize your time at the parks.
    In any case ... enjoy your weekend and let us know how it turns out.

• Can't get enough!

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    My nephew is just past 2 years old (barely), and is certainly a fully functioning little person. He talks in full sentences, runs around, lets his parents know what he likes and doesn't like.

2 years old is a great age for Disney. And it's a fun day for the whole family - which is the point, the whole parents/kids doing things together. Or so said Walt.
    I totally agree!
    My son was 8 months old for his 1st trip and he LOVED the parades! A child can enjoy things around them as soon as they are aware of things around them.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast