Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• I was deleted.

Talking BigPigletFan takes on Walt Disney World!

Hello fellow MiceChatters! As many of you might know I am going to be living by Walt Disney World this fall semester (August-January) as I participate in the college program. I am very excited to start this experience but very overwhelmed also. Disneyland is my home park and I love it very much. In comparison I feel like I know nothing about Walt Disney World even though I have been there a couple of times! In talking with others, especially Disney fans they would love to have this experience also and that is what prompted me to create this thread. And this is where you all come in.

• First of all, if you were in my shoes what would you do? Is there something you would have to try to do and/or accomplish while living in Orlando, FL/Walt Disney World?
    • Second, tell me about Walt Disney World! What is it about this place that makes it so magical? I have been there a couple of times but feel like I don't know that much. PLEASE share your favorite little quirks about this park because I would love any fun information.

Oh, and yes! I'd also like to try to do some more WDW MiceChat meets so I would love to meet up with any and all of you that I can if you will be visiting.

• Minion

Re: BigPigletFan takes on Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    First of all, if you were in my shoes what would you do? Is there something you would have to try to do and/or accomplish while living in Orlando, FL/Walt Disney World?
    As for the parks. . .
    - Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (lost at Disneyland)
    - The Country Bear Jamboree (lost at Disneyland)
    Or trying out cool areas. . .
    - EPCOT Future World (day AND nighttime)
    - ENJOY and stroll World Showcase (be sure to see: American Adventure and take in the live entertainment, especially the Voices of Liberty). . . Illuminations goes without saying

Try visiting all parks and areas, but you want to take in the atmosphere most of all. Just don't rush. And since you're doing the CP, save the parks in MODERATION. . . you don't wanna get sick of em!

Outside of Disney... International Drive has a bunch of stuff, which I would only recommend if you like the cheesy Disney wanna-be atmosphere. Universal Studios and Sea World are nearby. . . the Space Center is a few hours away.

Resort hop. Just visit the resorts.

Second, tell me about Walt Disney World! What is it about this place that makes it so magical? I have been there a couple of times but feel like I don't know that much. PLEASE share your favorite little quirks about this park because I would love any fun information.
    While I believe the Disneyland park has more magic in its main park, Walt Disney World has more in its resort. Driving by and seeing the monorail. . . all of the resorts.

Go to the Polynesian resort one evening and hang out on the beach overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon. Look at the fireworks, maybe eat at Ohanas, then watch the Electrical Water Pageant. There is some unique magic at Walt Disney World. Of course, most of it draws from nostalgia on my part, but perhaps a little might rub off on you. I know I felt it when I visited Disneyland for the first time not too long ago! Be sure to try out all forms of transportation.

Does this help?

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by BPF
    First of all, if you were in my shoes what would you do? Is there something you would have to try to do and/or accomplish while living in Orlando, FL/Walt Disney World?
    Meet me! You also need to check out the vwonderful Christmas lights when they go up. Especially the Osbourne family lights at mgm.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF
    Second, tell me about Walt Disney World! What is it about this place that makes it so magical? I have been there a couple of times but feel like I don't know that much. PLEASE share your favorite little quirks about this park because I would love any fun information.
    I think just the attention of detail thats put into everything at WDW is magnificent. The castle also brings a tear to my eye the first time I see it each trip. You wanna see detail? Go to Muppetvision in mgm. As soon as you walk into the front door look to your right. You will see a security office with a sign on the door. The signs says",Back in 5 mins, key under mat." Check the mat that is right below the door. Its just the little stuff like that that makes me LOVE WDW.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Take a ride on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, aka, the old Peoplemover. This is one of the most realxing and fun things to do in the Magic Kingdom, and is another thing lost from Disneyland.

Illuminations is definitely worth seeing too. While I have not seen "Remember..." at Disneyland, Illuminations is definitely one of the best fireworks shows at Disney World. And as for Fantasmic, after you've seen the Disneyland one, the MGM one just isn't as good.

As Grizz says visit the resorts. Definitely part of the Magic of Disney World is that sheer number and variety of resort hotels. And don't forget to take a trip on the monorail to EPCOT. A nice, long ride.

Do the waterparks. Another thing that is great about WDW is the theming of the water parks, especially the tropical atmosphere of Typhoon Lagoon and the just plain fun and zaniness of Blizzard Beach.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll be down there 8/22-8/31. Would certainly love to meet some MiceChatters down there!

Good luck in the college program!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• far, far away from DL

I really liked Blizzard Beach. Just take your time and enjoy it all. You'll have plenty of time to take it all in. The Carousel of Progress is a must! But most of all have fun! Oh, and take plenty of pictures!

Sabrina

• Banned User

I feel what you need to do is ride every attraction twice to surround youself in the detail of every ride at the parks...

After you do this.. You must experience every park without riding many attractions a few times a week... (cannot be hard since you will be working.. LOL)... surround yourself in the detail of these unique parks... discover what is superior or what is flawed with these palces then compair them to the DLR parks...

That way you can see why some of us do live near the east coast parks...
    Last edited by figment1986; 08-02-2005 at 07:07 PM.

• Official MC Thread Killer

Yaaaaay! You're going to have so much fuuuun. There's are some of my faves:

• Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe.. it's SO much fun.. but don't expect a quiet dinner...
      A night round of golf at Fantasia Gardens! It's even better when you do it during Fantasmic as you get to see all the stuff go off practically right beside you...
      Ride the TTA, Dinosaur, Kilomanjaro Safaris, and Rockin' Roller Coaster.. some of my faves that DL doesn't have

I can come up with more later though. You'll love it!
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

• I was deleted.

Wow! Thank you all for your tips so far. I think anyone who has experienced the parks with me will say I do pay attention to details and often too much so that should not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by General Grizz
    As for the parks. . .
    - Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (lost at Disneyland)
    - The Country Bear Jamboree (lost at Disneyland)
    Or trying out cool areas. . .
    - EPCOT Future World (day AND nighttime)
    - ENJOY and stroll World Showcase (be sure to see: American Adventure and take in the live entertainment, especially the Voices of Liberty). . . Illuminations goes without saying
    Ooh! A lot of EPCOT advice. Thank you! The first time I went here I was young and the last time we didn't spend much time there during the day so I still feel like I have not experienced this park that much. I think EPCOT and Animal Kingdom I know the least about. I would love to learn a lot more about EPCOT's dining especially. Any favorites out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    Meet me! You also need to check out the vwonderful Christmas lights when they go up. Especially the Osbourne family lights at mgm.
    Wait, wasn't that in the game plan already? Ohh.. lights! I am excited for them, TRUST ME.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    Do the waterparks. Another thing that is great about WDW is the theming of the water parks, especially the tropical atmosphere of Typhoon Lagoon and the just plain fun and zaniness of Blizzard Beach.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll be down there 8/22-8/31. Would certainly love to meet some MiceChatters down there!
    I have never done the waterparks so that should be an experience also. It sounds like you have been to both. Any tips/game plan on the waterparks? I hope to meet up with you while you are there also.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stStarIC2nite
    Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe.. it's SO much fun.. but don't expect a quiet dinner...
    Not quiet. Interesting name for it then. I have not heard of this one, where is it located?

Thanks again everyone for your advice and tips so far! I my MiceChat community.. you guys are great!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Whispering Canyon is in the Wilderness Lodge. A lot of fun, but don't ask for ketchup if you can help it!

The water parks: the newest one attraction just opened in March at Typhoon Lagoon: Crush N Gusher. It's a water coaster attraction, which uses a jet of water to propel you up hills as well as down. I am really looking forward to it. I think Kevin did a review of it when it opened. The screnery is what puts the park above all others. Gorgeous. Try not to miss anything

As for Blizzard Beach, don't know if you like thrills, but it has the tallest, fastest, speed slide in the world, Summit Plummit. Also, the family raft, Teamboat Springs, is the longest in the world. Definitely hit those, and don't miss the chairlift to the top, a lot of fun! I think Blizzard Beach has more attractions, but the views at Typhoon Lagoon are much lusher and greener.

BTW, any idea where you'll be working yet?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney Memory Maker

Although we can't claim the title of "Happiest Place on Earth", WDW is the "Most Magical Place on Earth." My biggest advice is to go with an open mind. Sometimes, other people will say a particular ride is bad (for example SGE), however you may think it is great. (I personally love SGE)

-Take it slow (your going to be their for a long time...take in everything)
    -Don't compare attractions to Disneyland (judge each thing on its own) If you try and compare things to Disneyland, you are not going to enjoy your stay. Although it is most people's instincts to always say "My town is better than this" whether or not it is, try not to do that.
    -Don't find the magic, let the magic find you. Sometimes, it may find you in places you wouldn't expect.

I'm not going to bother telling you what rides to go on because you will have more than enough time to go on every ride multiple times. Other than that, just have a good time.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Traveler to the south

Enjoy the TTA at the Magic Kingdom for me and look out for the love bugs which I think will be having their "season" while you are there! They are gross!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• Banned User

Wink Re: BigPigletFan takes on Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkersmell
    Enjoy the TTA at the Magic Kingdom for me and look out for the love bugs which I think will be having their "season" while you are there! They are gross!
    love bugs won't be that bad of a problem... well.. considering I remember them in Feb.. which she wont see... Sept's can be bad.. but she will be using Disney transit right??

(safest way to not get i trouble with Orange county cops or Disney security...)

Though you do need to ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA.. AKA Wed-Way People Mover) a few hundred times around....

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I would love to learn a lot more about EPCOT's dining especially. Any favorites out there?

Thanks again everyone for your advice and tips so far! I my MiceChat community.. you guys are great!
    thanks for the hug!

Glad you asked about Epcot dining! My favorite restaurant in Epcot is Restaurant Akershus in the Norway Pavilion. Well, truth be told, it's gone all Princess character meals at all times of the day, and I haven't eaten there since it went to that, but the menu has (thankfully) stayed the same.

I live in New York City, a world of cuisine is here, and I cannot find Scandanavian food. It's almost criminal.

Anyway, the food is great! It's a buffet featuring a cold table full of salad, meats, cheeses, and many different herrings. You may also order a wide variety of hot entrees, one at a time. I recommend the salmon, lamb, and the venison stew. It's just good food, prepared well, a little different than what you may expect, but completely wonderful.

I also enjoy the Rose and Crown in the United Kingdom pavilion. You can't go wrong with a lunch of bangers and mash.

I'm glad to read that you're looking forward to getting to explore Epcot. It's actually my favorite park at Walt Disney World. It really is something special, and if you take the time to soak it in and check out the details you'll see that its theme and celebration of humanity, past, present, and future, its diversity and commonality, is a very beautiful thing.

(Others may disagree and think it's all about shopping and eating, but I like to look for the subtext... )

Have fun and enjoy your time in the College Program!

• Traveler to the south

All I remember is that on the rides outside they get in your hair and eyes and mouth and they move so slow you have the heebie jeebies by the end of the day! Oh, and after it rains look for all the tiny, and I do mean tiny, frogs that come out...they are so cute!!!
    - Skipper Mike

• Traveler to the south

I notice the silliest things!
    - Skipper Mike

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast