ideas for mid march visit with 9 y/o boy

Hello all:

We are planning our WDW vac'n for mid March, staying at Pop or Movie resort. I've heard of great things for girls with the princesses but what suggestions do you have for 9 -10 yr old boy. He does like the Pooh bear characters. What is character dining? I've heard the Crystal Palace(?) may have the Pooh characters visiting it? We are doing the parkhopper, not doing waterparks. We haven't decided on taking the meal plan. He's a picky eater, pizza, chicken fingers and pasta kind of guy. Thinking about the California Grill, SciFi Cafe. I've heard mixed messages about changes to the 2008 Magic Your Way Dining Plan, are appetizers and gratuity still included?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: ideas for mid march visit with 9 y/o boy

Whoa... that's a handful of questions that deserve to be answered. I'm sure many here can do that.

I'm a [grown] boy and I remember going to Walt Disney World for the first time at around that age. Believe me, your boy will remember this trip but today I wish there were more photographs and home movies of my vintage childhood trip. I hope you've got plenty of film and tape for memories, just saying is all.

I still remember my first trip and what I remember the most from the Magic Kingdom is...

20,000 Leagues of the Sea ride [which isn't there anymore, darn it]
    The Haunted Mansion and riding it over and over and over again
    Exploring Main Street shops
    Tom Sawyer's Island
    Riding the Mark Twain boat
    MGM/Hollywood Studios - The Great Movie Ride
    Epcot - SpaceShip Earth, The Maelstrom, Mexico boat ride [now a cartoon boat ride with donald]

I figured my memories might steer you in a direction of what he may like.

As for a 9/10 year old boy being a tag along to a "princess" experience in the park my suggestion is to get him in the "prince" roll. Ask the princesses questions when you all meet them about how to be a great "Prince". Look for items in the shops that the boy can take the role of a prince on. Have him bow to other girls in princess outfits. He can even take pictures with the princesses of the magic kingdom by himself as he poses as their knight in shining [clothed] armor. He gets his own pic themed beautifully.

And when you're in the Magic Kingdom, to the left of Ariel's Grotto, is a restroom marked "Princes" and of course one for "Princesses". That's what I would do for a boy who's tagging along with the rest of the family helping the "sis" enjoy the princess side of things.

And YES plan somekind of morning breakfast dining experience with Pooh and friends at Magic Kingdom's Crystal Palace. I do it every trip and I love the food there.

If you get a 1900 Park Fare Dinner over at the Grand Floridian hotel you'll get to eat with Cinderella, the evil step sisters, the step mother and PRINCE CHARMING! Another added moment for your Prince to meet another Prince. After dinner you can head to the docks of the GFH where the boat picks you up to see the fireworks from the water's edge and see the mini light parade in the water. A great relaxing way to end the night. Just make sure you schedule early to eat and that you can hopefully finish before the fireworks start for the night but always remember that there is no rush when eating a wonderful meal with characters, just an idea for a dinner and show that only costs the amount of dinner.

Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 01-30-2008 at 02:40 AM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Hello and thanks for responding. What wonderful ideas you have and your input of your own memories is much appreciated. You have steered us in a helpful direction. Yes, the camera bag is always the first to be packed! We have no little princess' joining us, just our one little prince. I had heard so much about activities catering to families with little girls though that I had hoped for something equally as exciting for a family with just a boy. He is at that stage where girls are just starting to be intriguing but for the most part are still "icky". Having no sisters to tag along with, we will probably forego the princess' gatherings but will certainly get to The Crystal Palace. I would hate to think we are missing out on something though. I do like your ideas of the "Prince", you are very thoughtful. Your ideas have taken us to a more informed plan of action, joy and fun!! Thanks again!!

Hello;
    We just got back from WDW in December with my nine year old boy. My son is a picky eater, but he is the opposite, he DOES NOT like pizza, chicken fingers, and the basics. He likes shrimp, and fettucini alfredo. But, we had the meal plan so we were able to expand our horizons a bit.
    My son loved the Crystal Palace with the buffet and the characters. We also did the Hoop-De-Do Revue. He loved the chicken, mashed potaotes, and cornbread. He also loved the show. We also had dinner at the Garden Grill in the Land w/Chip and Dale and friends. Again it was "family stlye" all you can eat. He had all of the mac and cheese he could. Plus Chip, Dale, Pluto, and Farmer Mickey visited us. The food was good, and he loved the characters. We also did the Sci-Fi Dine In, and he liked that too.
    But, if your son is a picky eater then most all of the menus offer mac and cheese, and chicken fingers. There is also fresh fruit cups available everywhere.

One tip that we discovered on the meal plan is that our son has a huge appetite, and the children's menu items did not fill him up. We were told that even though he was a child, he could still order from the adult counter service menu on the meal plan. This does not apply to the table service meals, but COUNTER SERVICE meals only! This expanded his horizons, and he was soon ordering shrimp w/fettucini alfredo from the counter service at Port Orleans Riverside.

As for rides. He loved most of the thrill rides. Thunder Mountain was his favorite, followed by Splash Mountain. He loved Test Track, Soarin', and Space Mountain. He did not want to go on Expedition Everest, Rock n' Rollercoaster, or the Tower of Terror. He also loved the Jedi Training Academy show, outside of Star Tours in the Studios.

One more thing is that my son is kind of a budding scientist. He loved chasing the little green geckos around the property. They are everywhere. We also went to Japan in Epcot, and in the main store, for $15 he got to pick an oyster out of a tank, and they then cut it open for a pearl. When they opened the pearl there were two very large pearls inside. It was one of his favorite moments.

Hope some of this helps.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by gabbs1314 View Post
    Hello all:

We are planning our WDW vac'n for mid March, staying at Pop or Movie resort. I've heard of great things for girls with the princesses but what suggestions do you have for 9 -10 yr old boy. He does like the Pooh bear characters. What is character dining? I've heard the Crystal Palace(?) may have the Pooh characters visiting it? We are doing the parkhopper, not doing waterparks. We haven't decided on taking the meal plan. He's a picky eater, pizza, chicken fingers and pasta kind of guy. Thinking about the California Grill, SciFi Cafe. I've heard mixed messages about changes to the 2008 Magic Your Way Dining Plan, are appetizers and gratuity still included?
    I would personally suggest Trails End for a lunch or two (they have pizza, fried chicken, etc.) Gratuity is not included, nor appetizers - unless the appetizers are part of a buffet or a dinner show.

There is a lot on Disney property for kids of all ages, depending on what your son enjoys. Fantasia Gardens is a wonderful mini-golf course. Crystal Palace has a nice buffet, I just did breakfast there in December. There is the wagon ride at Fort Wilderness, the campfire movie at the same (with a Chip and Dale sing-along) and activities of all types. I would start with whatever interests your son has and go from there.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Circle of Ancients

Our Son was 9 on our most recent trip so hopefully I can add some insight.

Crystal Palace - BIG Hit!!! Recommended.

They also have a Lilo/Stitch Luau breakfast thing at the Poly. We didn't do it, but most 9 year old boys love Stitch.

Dinner at 'Ohana is fun too, lots of finger foods and hula/limbo.

As for rides, there is only 1 ride in all of WDW our son won't ride. Rock N' Rollercoaster. He'll even ride (and LOVES) the intense side of Mission: Space. Test Track is a BIG hit as well.

Most of the hotels have good food courts, and a good variety of foods kids will eat.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

OHh another idea just popped into my head.

PIRATE TREASURE HUNT for your boy!

This idea works now even more since he will be solo in the child department. Grab a map of Disney World from a book at your local book store, get one from an online website to then print it out or head online to see the latest maps on the official website.

Make your own treasure hunt by taking some small gifts into the park with you and after you're inside the Magic Kingdom buy some more small or big gifts that you can hide on you and others to surprise him throughout the day.

Once you've got a map of the Magic Kingdom start thinking of places to mark an "X" on certain attractions and rides. When he's not looking place an item nearby and have him "inspect" a bench you guys just sat at and he'll find some "treasure".

This usually works for people who have been to the parks before and have a better understanding on the layout and what can or can't be done but even for a first time visit to the park you can still produce a simple treasure hunt.

You can even take cash up to the parks and exchange cash for Disney Dollars. They may even have Captain Jack Sparrow bucks to go with your treasure hunt theme. Plus in the Main Street shops there's TONS of pirate merchandise that would go great with the prizes you want to get him.

Remember, make the hunt simple. You want the treasure hunt to go quickly, not take too long and not become a burden. Make an "X" in each themed land and maybe one near the castle and one more around Main Street.

This works great especially if your "prince" has no interest in being a prince and wants to be a PIRATE like Jack Sparrow. ARrrrr!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Here's a link to the "big kids" section of the WDW site. It might have some ideas
    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...ExperiencePage
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Thanks so much for your responses. What fantastic ideas. I love the thought of the treasure hunts, we are so going to do those!!