• Nutty about Disney parks

crowd control solutions...made simple?

After my long experience a Disney World, I've come to terms with the fact that the big threat to the park isnt in the kind of attractions there are or the maintenance of them. The big threat is crowd control.

A lack of crowd control and the poor attempts by cast members to cope with it could threaten the future of Disney World. More and more people are visiting the parks and while the execs may be thinking "ah that's only for peak seasons" there's been a lot more peak seasons annually than just Christmas and Summer.

So if Disney wants more people to come to the parks, I think they can do a whole lot better with situations such as stroller traffic! Gah!

So...any ideas...

I would look at this one ride at a time...

first with Kilomanjaro Safaris at DAK. ONLY 2 loading docks??? It's one of the busiest and one of the longest stand by wait rides in the entire resort. I know that there's a third one for handicaps but that's only open for able body riders when the lines are real short (which is very rare). It would be hard yes for the park's signature ride to close down for a day but if they closed it down during a very low attendance period to build a couple more loading docks it would shorten the lines. Sure there will still be waiting around for dropping off people after the ride and waiting to commence to tour, but wouldnt you rather be sitting down and waiting rather than be standing up and waiting? I'm sure the kids and the elderly would appreciate that more.

After reading that article on the Universal Studios ride...I can imagine the stroller issue is gonna be a bigger problem. Small kids these days are getting lazy. They might as well create a new staffing position in the theme parks called "stroller control". The way I can imagine it is that it begins with people being allowed to take strollers into long lines and when you are about to enter an attraction, a stroller control personnel will take the stroller out of your way and while you are riding would be in charge of making sure it's returned to you at the exit. This sort of thing doesnt exist but I eerily can imagine it happening.

Share your thoughts on how we can solve long lines, large crowds, and stroller issues. I'm sure that there are simple solutions that Disney hasnt bothered to consider to make the WDW experience less of a hassle for us.
    Last edited by toonaspie; 02-03-2008 at 03:53 PM.

• I'm A

Re: crowd control solutions...made simple?

One of the major problems I see is the area in Frontierland where the two major attractions are. Fastpass lines from BTM lead out into the walkways and tons of people disembarking from the train. It is a major problem back there during peak seasons.
    Visit

Click the Banner

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If only they would outlaw strollers... that would solve a LOT of problems.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    So...any ideas...
    Tasers.

Yes, I'm kidding.

I think fastpass has actually made more issues, because guests may be "on line" for a ride, but out and walking about.

Smaller strollers - the ones used now are big like a canoe! And fewer people using strollers would help, but there are a lot of little kids who do need them as well.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    first with Kilomanjaro Safaris at DAK. ONLY 2 loading docks??? It's one of the busiest and one of the longest stand by wait rides in the entire resort. I know that there's a third one for handicaps but that's only open for able body riders when the lines are real short (which is very rare). It would be hard yes for the park's signature ride to close down for a day but if they closed it down during a very low attendance period to build a couple more loading docks it would shorten the lines. Sure there will still be waiting around for dropping off people after the ride and waiting to commence to tour, but wouldnt you rather be sitting down and waiting rather than be standing up and waiting? I'm sure the kids and the elderly would appreciate that more.
    I do not see this solving any problems. As you stated you are going to get people in vehicles, but not necessarily out on the reserve. The more loading docks, the longer the wait to get out into the reserve. This waiting after entering the ride vehicle is a foreign concept to the theme park world. The end of the line is expected to be the end of the waiting and the start of the attraction. Then there are the costs associated with the purchase, maintenance, and fueling of the ride vehicles and the training and paying of the extra staffing needs. I believe the safari trucks run on Propane (it may be CNG) and engines eat through that stuff like crazy. My guess is those trucks need to refill about every two hours, possibly more.

The real nature of the Kilimanjaro Safaris is probably its biggest problem when it comes to guest throughput. A stubborn animal can stop the entire attraction for some time. The most obvious solution, without examining the animals' needs and the operation of their care, would be to cut down the time before a driver should call Animal Control and finding a way to get Animal Control to respond more quickly.

a stroller control personnel will take the stroller out of your way and while you are riding would be in charge of making sure it's returned to you at the exit.
    Is this not similar to what is done at Kilimanjaro Safaris?

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Tasers.
    The other week, my mom & I both agreed we need tasers or a big stick to clobber those renegade stroller pushers with. My mom had bruises on the back of her legs from getting run into so much!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I think fastpass has actually made more issues, because guests may be "on line" for a ride, but out and walking about.

Smaller strollers - the ones used now are big like a canoe! And fewer people using strollers would help, but there are a lot of little kids who do need them as well.
    Likewise, there are way too many kids who should not be in strollers. Just the other day, G-Fan and I saw a very obese little girl that I estimate to be around 10 yrs old, being wheeled around in one of those huge teamster strollers at DAK. Trust me, if I had a chubby kid, s/he would be walking. SHAME on some parents for catering to obese kids, and shame to Disney as well for renting strollers to people who do not need them. They eagerness to make a buck off parents who won't require their fat lazy grown kids to walk contributes highly to the congestion problem.

as for Fastpass.. it has created yet another set of problems beyond queue backups and overly extended wait times for the majority, but that's another topic.

In regards to the original poster topic being crowd control... many problems contribute to this issue:
    1) Lack of staffing. Management is simply NOT allocating the necesary number of CMs to man crowd control.
    2) Poor training. Many CMs are more interested in playing hoola hoops or Simon says with kids in the middle of Main Street before parades as opposed to have them doing true Crowd Control duties. This is a dept where I notice Tokyo and HK DL parks excel. Here at WDW and Paris... crowd control is a disaster. Add to that the CM's lack of interest or apprehention to lay down the law when guests do not obey or get uncooperative. CMs only act when there is an imminent danger, such as guests crossing the street when the parade is performing. I have seen many guests cross between floats during the parade. Lack of cords to hold back crowds in viewing areas and curbs contribute to this issue. Those tacky masking tapes they place down are simply ineffective in controlling crowds, especially during busy days. Masking tape on the floor is yet another one of my many petpeeves about the way they conduct business here at WDW. TACKY TACKY TACKY!!! Give me cords and flourecent clip-on lights for nighttime crowd control like they do at TDL.
    3) Bad guests behavior. The worst offenders here are the guests themselves. Many do not cooperate and have no regards for their safety or the safety and well being of others. The "me me me" syndrome if you please... Many guests go to the parks as if they were the princes and princesses that require catering to. ENOUGH of this self serving behavior which Disney itself helps fuel by offering such unnecesary amenities like Fastpass and Extra Magic Hours, etc.

Management at WDW and front line (on-stage) CMs need to be more awared and willing to tackle crowd control and safety issues, and learn to anticipate them so they can be avoided before they occur. All it takes is the proper staffing and genuine interest from management, neither of which appear to be of interest to those who should be making sure such procedures are to be done and followed to a T.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Likewise, there are way too many kids who should not be in strollers. Just the other day, G-Fan and I saw a very obese little girl that I estimate to be around 10 yrs old, being wheeled around in one of those huge teamster strollers at DAK. Trust me, if I had a chubby kid, s/he would be walking. SHAME on some parents for catering to obese kids, and shame to Disney as well for renting strollers to people who do not need them. They eagerness to make a buck off parents who won't require their fat lazy grown kids to walk contributes highly to the congestion problem.

as for Fastpass.. it has created yet another set of problems beyond queue backups and overly extended wait times for the majority, but that's another topic.
    Laziness [or other fitting adjective/noun] is America's most prominent export.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    Laziness [or other fitting adjective/noun] is America's most prominent export.
    I agree. Reason why McDonald's is taking over the World. Which also reminds me about crowd control on the WDW monorails... "All the way down!!" is probably the most pathetic of crowd control directives at WDW. They should expand the platforms and add railings to align guests for each monorail door, pretty much the way the parking trams load up at the TTC. Expanding the platforms would allow for guests to choose on their own any particular line/door to board the monorails, and would pull the plug on the many unnecesary CMs who "work" there. Thank God we don't have this problem at the TDR Line monorail.

I agree with seeing more kids riding in strollers that shouldn't be. The other week, I saw a kid that looked to be maybe 10 who was in a stroller while his little sister, who looked maybe 5, walked along side. I was like.... WTF?

• Banned User

That's nothing. The one that took the proverbial cake was seeing an older lady from India, complete with authentic indian attire, sitting in a stroller with her feet elevated to avoid the ground, while being pushed by a member of her family. I was like "REALLY!! WTF is that!?!?" Get a wheelchair you cheapscake! At least she was of advanced age, but the sight of it was too comical and too sad at the same time.

I'm still amazed I can squeeze my big butt into one of those strollers. LOL!