Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    I'm trying to organize my photos by attraction and I'm kind of stumped on a few of them. I was wondering if I could get some help from our resident WDW experts.

    Here you go!

    This was taken in 1979, anyone know the name of this parade?


    These were taken in May 1983, I believe they are from Epcot because I have other photos that confirm it.




    This was taken July 1985, I remember having my image superimposed on a TV behind and above me and we had to act out what was happening on the screen but I would like to know what this was called and where in Epcot this was located. (I'm thinking the old Innoventions)


    And this, all it has on the back is Epcot 1987.


    This I believe was taken from the monorail in July 1987, but I can't tell which resort it is.


    Thanks for all your help!

  2. #2

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    The blue screen photo is probably from the Image Works play area in the Imagination Pavillion at Epcot. You use to be able to be "transported" to different places and take part in the action.

    The "resort" photo is not a resort and not even of WDW. It is probably taken from the monorail or skyway at Busch Gardens in Tampa. What used to be called The Dark Continent (Now Africa). The building in the photo is the Crown Colony House (At least that is what it is called now) It houses a restaurant.

    I also believe that the ride photo with the white bird is from the Original Journey into Imagination. There used to be a scene featuring all white cutouts and Figment "colored" them by unleashing a rainbow from a pot.
    Andy
    Last edited by jamccul; 02-04-2008 at 07:04 AM.

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    Quote Originally Posted by jamccul View Post
    The blue screen photo is probably from the Image Works play area in the Imagination Pavillion at Epcot. You use to be able to be "transported" to different places and take part in the action.

    The "resort" photo is not a resort and not even of WDW. It is probably taken from the monorail or skyway at Busch Gardens in Tampa. What used to be called The Dark Continent (Now Africa). The building in the photo is the Crown Colony House (At least that is what it is called now) It houses a restaurant.

    Andy

    Thank you! Although the Busch Gardens photo throws me a bit, I see a reflection in the photo and the skyway buckets are all open, so I'm not quite sure where it was taken from but if it's the Crown Colony House I'll move it to my Busch Gardens file. Thanks again!

  4. #4

    • She was sweet as a peach
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in a pineapple way
    Posts
    1,246

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    I miss the old imagination pavillion.

    Dreamfinder hosted the blue-screen/time traveling theater thing (forgot the name). You either went to the old west or outer space.

  5. #5

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,844

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    1. I think that's the World According to Goofy parade.

    2. White room from the original Imagination.

    3. Still Imagination.

    4. Dreamfinder's School of Drama or whatever it was called. Was upstairs in the old Image Works. I never did it because the line was so long, but remember laughing my butt off at what the TVs out front showed of the action.

    5. Probably World of Motion

    6. Looks like the Wilderness Lodge

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    I think Aimster came close to guessing some of them... but here is my opinion/guesses on these pics..

    1st- America on Parade (1976) The float in question appears to be the one towards the end of the parade that celebrated achievements in transport and technology... like the airplane, trains and even space rockets. Note the americana banner on the lamp post. I do not believe the World According to Goofy was ever presented at WDW, but only at DL, but may be mistaken.

    2nd and 3rd- Journey into Imagination ride scenes.

    4th- ImageWorks Theater where guests used to be transported into a video clip featuring Dreamfinder.

    5th- World of Motion scene of AA standing by 1930s automobile, looking at planes thru binocular... if I recall well.

    6th- Busch Gardens' Crown Colony House, and was most probably taken from the monorail that used to tour around the savannah. Note the glass reflection on the photo, which makes me believe this is the monorail and not the sky buckets since they have no glass windows on them.

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think Aimster came close to guessing some of them... but here is my opinion/guesses on these pics..

    1st- America on Parade (1976) The float in question appears to be the one towards the end of the parade that celebrated achievements in transport and technology... like the airplane, trains and even space rockets. Note the americana banner on the lamp post. I do not believe the World According to Goofy was ever presented at WDW, but only at DL, but may be mistaken.

    2nd and 3rd- Journey into Imagination ride scenes.

    4th- ImageWorks Theater where guests used to be transported into a video clip featuring Dreamfinder.

    5th- World of Motion scene of AA standing by 1930s automobile, looking at planes thru binocular... if I recall well.

    6th- Busch Gardens' Crown Colony House, and was most probably taken from the monorail that used to tour around the savannah. Note the glass reflection on the photo, which makes me believe this is the monorail and not the sky buckets since they have no glass windows on them.
    Wow! Excellent responses everyone. I have more photos of the parade from 79 that include a HUGE sandwich and America type floats so I'm guessing your correct J. As far as the monorail at Busch Gardens I don't even remember them having one much less riding on it. LOL However, since mom has the photo labeled Epcot, I'm going to assume she had no idea either.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    You meant, photos from the parade in 1976, if my guess is correct.

  9. #9

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You meant, photos from the parade in 1976, if my guess is correct.
    Hmm, well now I'm not sure because all the photos from then have 1979 written on them. Was that parade not running then?

    **EDIT** Just found this...


    http://www.wdwhistory.com/FindFile.A...ica_on_Parade/


    America on Parade was a parade celebrating the Bicentennial of the United States. This parade ran both at Walt Disney World and Disneyland and during both the daytime and nighttime. The parade mainly showed on historical events in America such as innovations and activities. Because of this, there were floats such as a giant sandwich, box of popcorn, American Eagle, 20-foot rocking chair, 18 foot turkey and a 240 inch TV. Disney worked for over 2 years to make sure the parade would be ready to run at both parks with identical floats. The music for the floats was from an 1890 band organ named the Sadie Mae from Sikeston, Missouri. It used a type of punch cards instead of a music roll. Each float used the same sound system as the Main Street Electrical Parade.
    Found this photo, you can see the name on the side of the float, partially anyway. Mystery solved!



    I guess mom had the date wrong, guess I better change it then. LOL Thanks TDL, I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 02-04-2008 at 11:29 AM.

  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Hmm, well now I'm not sure because all the photos from then have 1979 written on them. Was that parade not running then?

    **EDIT** Just found this...


    http://www.wdwhistory.com/FindFile.A...ica_on_Parade/




    Found this photo, you can see the name on the side of the float, partially anyway. Mystery solved!



    I guess mom had the date wrong, guess I better change it then. LOL Thanks TDL, I appreciate your help.
    Actually NO! That last photo you just posted is from "Dumbo's Circus Parade" which played in the MK from Jan 1979 thru december of that year. In the 1976 Bicentennial parade, there were NO bear rubberheads, as the cast for the parade were giant dolls (later re-used at EPCOT Center's World Showcase during the fisrt year in operation). So, now I am confused about the first parade photo because the americana banner on the lamp post is similar to the ones used to decorate Main Street during mid-1975-late 76 when "America On Parade" played.

    This is one of the times when I was back at my parents' home so I can raid the closet looking for all of the old photos from my childhood at WDW. I also used to have the GAF view-masters for America on Parade at WDW and DL. Gosh I wish I could have them here so I could research this better....

  11. #11

    • World Traveler
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Aventura, FL
    Posts
    4,031

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    As far as the monorail at Busch Gardens I don't even remember them having one much less riding on it.

    It was a forgettable monorail. No one does monorails like Disney.


  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    the monorail at busch gardens was suspended and ran below the rail so it could get down low enough to enjoy the animals in the area. it was a safe way to see wild anmals. now the only way to see them is to ride a train or do a walk through exhibit.

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    It was a forgettable monorail. No one does monorails like Disney.
    "waiting for traffic clearance..." that's for sure, unlike the TDR Line where you DON'T! Imagine that!

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    the monorail at busch gardens was suspended and ran below the rail so it could get down low enough to enjoy the animals in the area. it was a safe way to see wild anmals. now the only way to see them is to ride a train or do a walk through exhibit.
    Or from the skyway system.

  15. #15

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,844

    Re: Mystery Photos - Name that Attraction!

    I remember that monorail at Busch Gardens. When did they close it? Last time I was there was the fall of 2001 and it was running then if memory serves right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Midway Mania attraction update photos
    By akfandisney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 12:10 PM
  2. official Midway Mania attraction update @ photos (Merged)
    By akfandisney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
  3. Theme Park Attraction Themed Attraction
    By Lectrorail in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 08:07 AM
  4. 01/01/07 - New Mystery Hat
    By TikiRoomLiz in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 451
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 05:46 AM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 02:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •