Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile How different are they?

Hello everyone. I was just wondering about some things and forgive me if this has been posted before, I have not been a member very long. I am a regular at Disneyland but this May I will be making my first trip to Disneyworld. I am wondering what is the biggest difference between the 2 (other than size). Any tips or must see things- I would love to hear them. How good are the value resorts? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: How different are they?

Oh this is a good question! There is sooo much that is different! They are two completly different experiences! I love Walt Disney World, and you will get great advice here on MiceChat!

But all in all plan a head, and discover it for yourself! Then post your trip report on here!

You will have a great time disvoerying Disney World!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

The biggest advice I can give you is WDW is spread out, vastly in fact that you need monorails, buses or taxis to get where you need to go. It's Disneyland on steroids, seriously.

I recommend using www.allearsnet.com to decide where you want to stay and what you want to see, they have wonderful comprehensive lists of the parks, accommodations and dining.

Mice Chat is also another great resource, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can answer just about any question you might have.

Have a wonderful trip and just remember, take it slow and have a great time!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by CAdisneyfan View Post
    Hello everyone. I was just wondering about some things and forgive me if this has been posted before, I have not been a member very long. I am a regular at Disneyland but this May I will be making my first trip to Disneyworld. I am wondering what is the biggest difference between the 2 (other than size). Any tips or must see things- I would love to hear them. How good are the value resorts? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi!

They parks are REALLY different. Even the MK vs. Disneyland park - to me, there is a very different atmosphere to it. Plus attractions are definitely not all the same (I prefer DL to our MK).

One of the biggest differences is that you can't just walk off property. That is one of the things I love about Disneyland. (You actually can from Downtown Disney, but it's better to drive).

You will hear different things about the value resorts. I like the Pop, and I've heard that the All Star Music has been redone very well. I'd personally skip the Sports and Movies. The POP has a great food court, I enjoy the theming, and the location is more central (and there is a lake). It is very hard for me to compare the value's to anything else in the real world. They aren't deluxe in nature, the Candy Cane Inn has better beds and features. But for the price, especially in value season, they are worth it. (IMHO).

If you want to go to a moderate, those resorts include more features - hot tub and not just a pool, sit down restaurant, etc. POFQ does not have the sit-down, not since "merging" with POR.

You can walk between MGM and Epcot, but not to any parks from the value/mods.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

I'm a lifelong Disneylander, but I've been to WDW thrice (the last one was a "non-park" trip).

I think the biggest difference (other than the price of the trip) is something I think Mike Scopa on MousePlanet calls the "Disney Zone." Basically, the Disney Zone is that magical Disney feeling we all know. Whether it be a park visit, a movie, a piece of Disney music- there are various ways of entering the Disney Zone.

Other than the sheer size, the big difference between DL and WDW is just how the Disney Zone is experienced. One of the down sides of DL is that the Disney Zone pretty much ends at the park's gate. A normal DL visitor stays in one of the non-Disney hotels along Harbor Blvd. or nearby, eats at the non-Disney McDonalds on Harbor.

At WDW, if you stay on property (which I highly suggest) you do all of that in the Disney Zone. Your hotel is all Disney. McDonalds is Disney. Gas stations are Disney. Road signs are Disney. And you're surrounded by lush forests everywhere you go.

Which leads me to my next point. Disneyland is like Disney Zone Concentrate. It hits you quick and heavy there. WDW is bigger, so the Disney Zone is somewhat dissipated in areas. Disneylanders are used to walking into tons of structures and meticulous theming everywhere all the time. So we're thrown off when we drive onto WDW property and we have to drive a few miles sometimes to see any theming. It's just forest. "There should be something there- a boat, some animatronics- something," we think.

Another thing- WDW can be a bit overwhelming for Disneylanders. At DL, we have DL and DCA. You walk between the two parks and Downtown Disney. It's all very compact and easy to wrap the mind around. It takes a few visits to WDW before you feel like you know what's what and where. So the thought of having to use monorails and ferries as actual transportation boggles our mind.

You're probably also wondering how WDW's Magic Kingdom stacks up against DL. This may offend a few people on this side of the forums, but it doesn't. WDW may have a taller castle and wider walkways, but it simply doesn't compare to the original Disneyland. Some examples- DL has New Orleans Square, the Subs, Indiana Jones, and the Matterhorn that MK lacks. DL's Adventureland is more authentic (MK has that huge metal ride in its Adventureland). On the whole, the charm of the original trumps the innovation of MK.

But...If I were given the choice between a trip to WDW and a trip to DL, it's WDW all the way. I simply can't tell you how much I love WDW. I was there 2 weeks ago and am now back in freezing Utah. I envy your upcoming trip!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT View Post
    This may offend a few people on this side of the forums, but it doesn't. WDW may have a taller castle and wider walkways, but it simply doesn't compare to the original Disneyland. Some examples- DL has New Orleans Square, the Subs, Indiana Jones, and the Matterhorn that MK lacks. DL's Adventureland is more authentic (MK has that huge metal ride in its Adventureland). On the whole, the charm of the original trumps the innovation of MK.!
    I agree with that. I don't really care as much for our own MK vs. DL. There are a few things I do like about ours better, but not as a whole.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I agree with that too! I'm a Disneylander, and many of my favorite attractions are only at DL, but I LOVE WDW as well. I love the idea of actually staying in a "Disney city" where everything is clean and nice and color coordinated.

CAdisneyfan, here are my observations ~

Disneyland in Florida is called "Magic Kingdom" or "MK". Don't forget that! It's huge, but absolutely beautiful and I think you'll be blown away by it's detail. Be sure and try all the attractions, even the ones we have here at Disneyland. There are differences and it's fun to experience them.

The parks are a few miles away from each other. MK is about 7ish miles from EPCOT, Disney Studios are a little closer to EPCOT, but still enough of a distance that you need a bus or a car. Same with Animal Kingdom and the waterparks/golf courses. The whole property is 43 square miles.

If you stay at a Disney resort, don't hesitate to use the bus system. It takes a little bit of planning ahead, but it's worth it. The busses are clean and nice and sometimes the bus drivers like to tell stories, share trivia or start a sing-along. (Not all do that though).

Have I stressed enough that WDW is huge?? It's really big. No lie.

Definitely not like the Disneyland resort, but equally as awesome.

Lannie

• World Traveler

I suggest you go to the Disney World website and order the new planning DVD. They're great DVDs and you can see all there is to see and do in the resort.

• Minion

Disneyland is charming and Disney World is spectacular.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post

The parks are a few miles away from each other. MK is about 7ish miles from EPCOT, Disney Studios are a little closer to EPCOT, but still enough of a distance that you need a bus or a car. Same with Animal Kingdom and the waterparks/golf courses. The whole property is 43 square miles.
    Actually, the Studios and Epcot are about a mile apart on the Boardwalk, I always walk (though you can also take a boat). You can get a bus from the front of Epcot to MGM also.

It is a big property, though! And usually you do need transporation between the various resorts and parks (i.e. - you can walk some places, but not nearly everywhere).

Even though I think our MK is lacking in comparison, I love AK and Epcot - and am glad to live near WDW.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

[quote=nbodyhome;2541609]Actually, the Studios and Epcot are about a mile apart on the Boardwalk, I always walk (though you can also take a boat). You can get a bus from the front of Epcot to MGM also.

quote]

Ah yes! I knew they were closer, but in the past couple of trips we were at the Wilderness Lodge and had to take the bus all that way to get there on the different days. I tend to get disoriented .

You're a lucky duck living so close!

• Little Miss Sunshine

[QUOTE=Neverlandtink;2542060]
    Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Actually, the Studios and Epcot are about a mile apart on the Boardwalk, I always walk (though you can also take a boat). You can get a bus from the front of Epcot to MGM also.

quote]

Ah yes! I knew they were closer, but in the past couple of trips we were at the Wilderness Lodge and had to take the bus all that way to get there on the different days. I tend to get disoriented .

You're a lucky duck living so close!
    I wish that they had a walking path from the WL to the TTC, it would be really nice to walk and then get the monorails from there!

You are a lucky duck to live so close to DL too! Since you are staying in a BW area resort next time (I forget which one you said - Y or B), then you'll have really great access to two parks!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Talking Re: How different are they?

Thanks for the wonderful tips, you have made my anticipation grow even more. I absolutely can not wait. I did order the disneyworld dvd from the website and my little boy and I have watched it twice already. I just can't wait to see it all. I didn't even consider staying off property and from the different postings that I have read that sounds like a good idea. I don't think I could ever tire of DL but I can't wait to have a new Disney experience.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

How long are you staying, CAdisneyfan?

As far as accomodations, my suggestion is to stay at a Disney resort. I've been there about 6 times and stayed at probably 10 different resorts of different values. From the "Value" All-Star Movie Resort, to the "Deluxe" Yacht and Beach Club, we've always had excellent service, beautiful rooms and the Disney quality you expect. Plus you can use the airport service, "Magical Express", which is great. When you shop you can have your bags and packages sent right to your room (no extra charge), and use Disney transportation (included in your hotel stay). I've never stayed off property, but the friends I know who have, seemed to miss out on an awful lot. I figure, if you can stay as cheap (All-Star Resorts) as a Best Western but get all the Disney perks, I'd take the Disney perks!

Just my opinion though ~ I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

We'll be there 11 days total, 4 days of that though some family members have a conference and we will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress (I dont know how much Disney I will be able to get in on those days) but the remaining time is going to be all Disney and we'll be on site. I am looking at the Port Orleans -Riverside or the Caribbean Beach resort, other members of our party are looking at the All Stars Movie for financial reasons which leads me to other questions- would it be too much of a hassle if we stayed at different resorts? Is it better to spend less on the room and have more money for other things or are the higher priced resorts worth the price?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast