Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Our First Trip To Walt Disney World

Trip report part II:

Pirates and Princess Party

We also booked the Pirates and Princess Party and we were not disappointed. Actually it was a lot of fun and even the cast members enjoyed this evening very much (you could tell that, because many of them tried to talk like pirates all the time and they loved the fireworks!). The highlight of this event was the meeting with Captain (!) Jack Sparrow and we got a very nice picture with him. The actor was great, he looked like Johnny Depp and he even spoke like him. We were quite nervous meeting him, he is just such a big personality. But he was funny and just like the real one! The fireworks was the best one I have ever seen, it looked like they wanted to blow up the whole castle, very impressive.

Food

We are vegetarians, and we enjoy eating and talking about food. A lot of fun in all Disney Parks is the food, because you can eat like it’s your birthday everyday (even two “mousse au chocolat” at once, like my girlfriend did). So here’s our humble opinion about WDW’s veggie food.
    We booked the character breakfast at Animal Kingdom’s Tusker House which was really great. We’ve never been on a character meal before. Our reservation was early (8:00a.m.), but that was a good thing – everything was clean and nice and quiet as we entered the restaurant. The buffet was good and there was a lot to choose from, but we’ve found it hard to eat when Mickey and Co. are around the corner. They were great, everyone got a picture and a little play time.
    The next time in the park we ate at the Tusker House again, but this time for lunch. We really recommend this restaurant, because it offers a good choice for everyone and in our opinion it was the best restaurant where we have been at WDW. It has a lot of ethnical food, and lots of veggie choices. If you ever eat there, you have to try the “Jungle Juice”, a nice mixture of different fruit juices.

At DHS it was not so easy to eat in a table service restaurant. We wanted to eat at the 50’s Prime Time Cafe, but we didn’t like the vegeterian choice on the menu (just one!), so we asked there if it was possible to get something else. The waitress was a little bit confused by our request and didn’t come up with anything helpful and in our opinion she was not very friendly, so we decided to spend our money on something else – ABC Commissary, which has a good Asian Salad. The Pizza Planet is also nice, and has a good veggie pizza.

At Epcot there was a lot to choose from, of course. We decided to try the veggie platter at the Tangerine Cafe, and it was excellent, but so much food that we shared it, and it was enough! We had lunch at Tutto Italia, which was good, nothing to complain about the food, but a little bit pricey.

The Magic Kingdom was a little bit disappointing, because all nice table service restaurants offer either character meals or lots of meat. But on our last day we had lunch at the Plaza Restaurant and our meals were very good. I had a vegetarian sandwich and my girlfriend had a Veggie Burger. Both meals were served with German potatoe salad, which was a nice alternative to fries.
    The Main Street Bakery is full of people, all the time, but we can understand why, because the CinnamonBun is amazing! And also theSundaes next door.

We ate a lot at the food court in the Pop Century, and they have some vegetarians options, but you can easily adapt many meals so that veggies can eat them (and we liked the price reduction as well!).

Pros and Cons

I read many guides abouot WDW before our vacation. In a German book the author said that Americans know how to behave during lining up compared to Europeans.
    We didn’t notice any difference between WDW and DLRP. We’ve met people who were very nice and polite and others who were not so nice, because they are loud, they are not able to line up and they leave their trash in places where they shouldn’t. And we had that experience in Paris and as well in Orlando.
    We try to be patient and calm while waiting, and usually that works for us and we are not annoyed by other people. But: We had two families overpassing us in WDW while we were taking a picture, which never happened to us before and is kind of rude.
    Maybe our expectations were a little bit too high, that could also be true. We had also high expectations concerning the maintenance and cleaness of the parks, but again, there was no big difference compared to DLRP.

Big Pro: The Year of a million Dreams. We won a Dreamfastpass two times!! Big smiles. One at the Animal Kingdom and the second time at the Magic Kingdom. We were very happy, because we thought that we are not allowed to participate (because we thought that you can’t win when you are European, that is what the guidelines say). Disney made our day with the Dreamfastpass, we felt like stars (kind of..).

One day during our visit to the Animal Kingdom I thought that I have lost my camera in the park. I was sure that the security man looked at my camera at the entrance (and my girlfriend saw the same thing!) and so I thought that I have lost it. So we asked at the guest relations, but nobody found it. We headed back to our hotel and guess what. Yes the camera was in our room, although I was sure that I showed the camera bag to the security. I think Tinkerbell returned it to our room and this was the most magical experience for us J

We also liked the buttons that you can get at your hotel, we had a 1st visit button, and cast members were chatting with us a lot more about that button. It was really nice.

We met a lot of characters, but the Magic Kingdom is not the best place for that, it was always a little bit crowded. But still, my girlfriend got a picture with her favorite princess (I didn’t join her).

We hope to return soon, but our next Disney vacation will be in Paris. But WDW (combined with the Disney Cruise Line) seems like the perfect place for a honeymoon!

Disney's Hollywood Studios pictures:

More to come!

Pirates and Princess Party:

Food and more:

Goofy joined us at the Character Breakfast in the Animal Kingdom.

That's the end of our trip report. We had a great time in the US and I'm sure that we will return to Walt Disney World and maybe we will visit Disneyland California too.

• Can't get enough!

Very nice report. You had some wonderful pictures!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wonderful TR! The photos were gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

Great TR! THANKS!!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great pictures and info. Thank you!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

wow are you kidding me?!?! 2 dream fastpasses?!?! wow, i'm surprised you didn't get one for your airplane ride home!

Just kidding, thanks for the trip report.

You know I took 3 trips to the parks last year and I didn't get a single dream fastpass or win anything. Man oh man. At least this year I have about 3 more dreams to win at least something!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'll vouch the veggie pizza at Pizza Planet is quite good. Usually theme park/amusement park pizza is disgusting, but I took a stab at WDW's last year and was amazed at how good it was. Now if I had gotten one that had sausage or pepperoni on it, I probably would've tossed my cookies later. I love meat, but pizza is one thing I don't like any meat on and if I do, I only like ham (pepperoni is too greasy and I hate sausage).

• Can't get enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    wow are you kidding me?!?! 2 dream fastpasses?!?! wow, i'm surprised you didn't get one for your airplane ride home!

Just kidding, thanks for the trip report.

You know I took 3 trips to the parks last year and I didn't get a single dream fastpass or win anything. Man oh man. At least this year I have about 3 more dreams to win at least something!
    Tell me about it! We have been 4 times during the promotion and all we have got from the dream squad are two buttons for my kids. granted those were a nice surprise but not as good as some of the other stuff!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• Goofy

wow nice pictures.

The Dream Fastpasses are greate and they would be a good addition at DLRP for their continuing 15th birthday party. Cast members can award the Dream Fastpasses as a "birthday present" to the park visitors.

We won the first one in the Animal Kingdom at Rafikis Planet Watch and the second in the Magic Kingdom at the exit of Big Thunder Mountain. We have read in the WDW TV program (hotel room TV) that many people won their Dream Fastpasses at the exit of BTM.

Great report thanks for posting it!

Great report. Looks like you had a great time. LOVE LOVE the foggy pics in AK!! absolutely awesome.
    I may have to grow older, but I refuse to Grow UP!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Hey, your girlfriend is a cutie! (OK, you're not so bad yourself!) It's interesting that your favorite park was the Studios, usually considered the 4th park in quality and quantity of rides. But you like what you like, right? Great TR and photos - thanks for posting!

Thanks for your compliment. We like thrill-rides and the Hollywood Studios Park offers two, Rock'n'Rollercoaster and the Tower of Terror. That's one reason why we liked this park so much. We know the Rock'n'Rollercoaster from Paris and it is one of our favorite attractions. So we tried to ride it as often as possible and the Tower of Terror is also great (theming and ride itself). The Hollywood and the Sunset Blvd. are so well themed and the shows like Beauty and the Beast or Indiana Jones are nice too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast