Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

I most definitely will, DisneyReporter! I'd be honored to have them on the site! I've been reading websites about my digital camera all day so I can get some good shots.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

So if BTMRR is going down before SM, does anyone have the dates of that?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I'm going to make a very selfish statement, even at the cost of the state of SM: I hope it doesn't go down until I get a chance to ride it next year in Jan/Feb (I've never been to WDW). Although, I do hope that it gets fixed-up.

I hope so your sake that it's open when you go, dland lover! It's a fun ride. BTM is my favorite coaster, but I always ride SM because it's 'tradition.'

• lol what

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    ok..heres the deal...i am a CM at Space Mountain. After many years (since 1989 to be specific) they have planned refurbs. This year was supposed to be it....it was originally planned for January, got pushed to July 17, and is now planned for January 2009 as a final date (this comes from the people we know at WDI and management. Never fear, it will be soon enough....we have had imagineers at the mountain observing, planning, and calculating - so it is comming soon. The reason it was pushed back is because Big Thunder Mountain has been pushed in front and will be going down very soon if not already.

The Space refurb will take approximately 14 months and include many changes - new rockets with double seats, new track (same design i believe), load gates, new decor, etc...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    So going to WDW this year might not be a good idea? Considering I'm a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad fan. D:

Now hang on to them hats n' glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So is the consensus that Splash Mountain would be way more exciting than Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Paris?
    Zip-a-dee-duh.

• MiceChat Partner Site

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeSparks View Post
    So going to WDW this year might not be a good idea? Considering I'm a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad fan. D:
    I think you're all set. I haven't heard anything major about a BTMR refurbishment. Space Mountain seems to be Disney's primary focus (even if they continue to push it back). Take your chances and book your trip. You shouldn't push back an enjoyable experience because an attraction you like (MAY or MIGHT NOT BE) closed. It is almost guaranteed that an attraction will be closed for anyone's visit, and that's just part of life. But to answer your question, you probably don't have to worry about missing the attraction if you book your trip for this year.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Exclamation Re: Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysGlove28 View Post
    I hope so your sake that it's open when you go, dland lover! It's a fun ride. BTM is my favorite coaster, but I always ride SM because it's 'tradition.'
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeSparks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyreporter View Post
    I think you're all set. I haven't heard anything major about a BTMR refurbishment. Space Mountain seems to be Disney's primary focus (even if they continue to push it back). Take your chances and book your trip. You shouldn't push back an enjoyable experience because an attraction you like (MAY or MIGHT NOT BE) closed. It is almost guaranteed that an attraction will be closed for anyone's visit, and that's just part of life. But to answer your question, you probably don't have to worry about missing the attraction if you book your trip for this year.

BTMRR has not gone down or announced date for a refurb yet, but it would likely be a 3-5 month downtime - they are in dire need of new wooden beams at the load station as time and weather have taken their toll and caused them to rot. The track area itself is indeed quite smooth considering the age of the coaster, but a few brakes and storage lines need replacement and new consoles will likely be added. Splash is back up as of 2/17 after a reurb to clean the flume tubes and tune the conveyors and that alone took a few months.

Id still come to WDW anyways. BTMRR might be closed, but its not confirmed, although my opinion is that it will be for safety reasons, even if they dont close SM for the very same reason.

All I can say is that as of now, the SM refurb is officially pushed back to January 2009....this leaves 10 months in between with no other major attractions down, so I'm thinking theyll take BTMRR down to do a minor rehab. WDI got lucky that the bulk of the coaster held up so well over 28 years. Someday BTMRR will be in Sapce's shoes and have its major and desparately needed rehab pushed back for a long time. Only time will tell
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

ok..heres the deal...i am a CM at Space Mountain. After many years (since 1989 to be specific) they have planned refurbs. This year was supposed to be it....it was originally planned for January, got pushed to July 17, and is now planned for January 2009 as a final date (this comes from the people we know at WDI and management. Never fear, it will be soon enough....we have had imagineers at the mountain observing, planning, and calculating - so it is comming soon. The reason it was pushed back is because Big Thunder Mountain has been pushed in front and will be going down very soon if not already.

The Space refurb will take approximately 14 months and include many changes - new rockets with double seats, new track (same design i believe), load gates, new decor, etc...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    It I am not mistaken it took over 2 years to rehab SM at Disneyland so if they are going to do the same thing at WDW it should take longer.

I checked and Space Mountain closed April 2003 and reopened July 2005 They closed earlier than expected because they could not promise it would be open in time for the 50th celebration of Disneyland. Unless they found a new way I expect it to be down also for at least 2 years.

i would assume the same, but WDI keeps saying no more than 16 months...its weird...then again, were not even 100% sure exactly what theyre doing at this point. I'm just hoping we dont get a half-a**ed refurb....we need a new track and new theming and so much more

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by BALASADA View Post
    They closed earlier than expected because they could not promise it would be open in time for the 50th celebration of Disneyland.
    It's my recollection that they closed early when some track damage was discovered, forcing the closure. They could have fixed the bad patch and re-opened fairly quickly, but the decision was made to go ahead and close it all down and start the total replacement of the track.

• jeffrey

I have to say that I am happy space mountain will be refurbished in 2009. I am going to Disney World in June and wanted to see the original.

at this rate, i wont be suprised if it takes a serious accident or reported damage to force WDW's Space Mountain into a refurb. Ill just say this much.....in the last 6 months, some guests have been hit by pieces of the ride. thats not good....ever....

• MiceChat Partner Site

at this rate, i wont be suprised if it takes a serious accident or reported damage to force WDW's Space Mountain into a refurb. Ill just say this much.....in the last 6 months, some guests have been hit by pieces of the ride. thats not good....ever....
    So what do you think the problem is? Walt Disney World doesn't want to be missing one of its big E-ticket attractions? Walt Disney World doesn't want to spend the money unless absolutely nessessary?

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

• I'm A

Quote Originally Posted by disneyreporter View Post
    So what do you think the problem is? Walt Disney World doesn't want to be missing one of its big E-ticket attractions? Walt Disney World doesn't want to spend the money unless absolutely nessessary?
    If they're being hit by pieces of the ride isn't that necessary or is that just what I think.
    Visit

Click the Banner

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast