Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

I heard that Space Mountain would be closed for nearly all of 2008 for refurb and possible new cars/themeing. I can't find this anywhere else, though. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm going to WDW next week and wanted to know everything that would be closed.

Re: Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

You heard this where?

• I'm A

Can't recall where I heard this but I'm pretty sure it will be closed this summer. I can't confirm though so don't go by me.
    Visit

Click the Banner

Blog Entries

There has been talk of closing Space Mountain and that it would be down for a year once they do for a major refurb, but I can't confirm that its been greenlit or when its going down although sooner rather than later seems to be what people are saying. However I can confirm that it will not reopen with Cars theming. I think you're confusing that rumor with either the rumor that Indy will one day open with Cars theming or Test Track will have Cars theming.

• Attn. Space Travelers....

ok..heres the deal...i am a CM at Space Mountain. After many years (since 1989 to be specific) they have planned refurbs. This year was supposed to be it....it was originally planned for January, got pushed to July 17, and is now planned for January 2009 as a final date (this comes from the people we know at WDI and management. Never fear, it will be soon enough....we have had imagineers at the mountain observing, planning, and calculating - so it is comming soon. The reason it was pushed back is because Big Thunder Mountain has been pushed in front and will be going down very soon if not already.

The Space refurb will take approximately 14 months and include many changes - new rockets with double seats, new track (same design i believe), load gates, new decor, etc...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post
    ok..heres the deal...i am a CM at Space Mountain. After many years (since 1989 to be specific) they have planned refurbs. This year was supposed to be it....it was originally planned for January, got pushed to July 17, and is now planned for January 2009 as a final date (this comes from the people we know at WDI and management. Never fear, it will be soon enough....we have had imagineers at the mountain observing, planning, and calculating - so it is comming soon. The reason it was pushed back is because Big Thunder Mountain has been pushed in front and will be going down very soon if not already.

The Space refurb will take approximately 14 months and include many changes - new rockets with double seats, new track (same design i believe), load gates, new decor, etc...

Sounds good - I hope all of this comes true. Wasn't Big Thunder just down a couple months ago for refrub though?

• Attn. Space Travelers....

Talking Re: Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Sounds good - I hope all of this comes true. Wasn't Big Thunder just down a couple months ago for refrub though?

they just had a tiny downtime to clean the show areas....now they need new load station brakes, updated show tech, new track in areas, etc...

funny how 28 years went by so fast lol....i was upset that space was denied again!! its getting quite decrepit really....but as far as i know, january 2009 is the final date....i hope!! lol
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    There has been talk of closing Space Mountain and that it would be down for a year once they do for a major refurb, but I can't confirm that its been greenlit or when its going down although sooner rather than later seems to be what people are saying. However I can confirm that it will not reopen with Cars theming. I think you're confusing that rumor with either the rumor that Indy will one day open with Cars theming or Test Track will have Cars theming.
    The TC was talking about Space getting new cars, not a "Cars" theming. What would be the point of opening Indy with a "Cars" theme? It would take away from all the mystique and darkness that makes Indy so appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Junk View Post

Big Thunder Mountain still feels really smooth, yet my neck feels like it is about to snap off at any second on Space Mountain. Disney needs to get their priorities straight.
    How long will BTM be down for?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    What would be the point of opening Indy with a "Cars" theme? It would take away from all the mystique and darkness that makes Indy so appealing.
    What about the Indy Speedway is dark and/or mysterious?

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    However I can confirm that it will not reopen with Cars theming. I think you're confusing that rumor with either the rumor that Indy will one day open with Cars theming or Test Track will have Cars theming.
    I believe you misread what I wrote. "New cars/theming." Meaning physical new cars AND a refreshed theming. Not a Cars movie theme. I read the report on http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms/ - I believe DisneyReporter posts here?

Thanks for the info, Space Junk! I hope BTM doesn't close before next week, for personal selfish reasons. I'm FINALLY getting back to WDW for the first time in 5 years and can't imagine a trip without Thunder Mountain!

• MiceChat Partner Site

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysGlove28 View Post
    I believe you misread what I wrote. "New cars/theming." Meaning physical new cars AND a refreshed theming. Not a Cars movie theme. I read the report on http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms/ - I believe DisneyReporter posts here?

Thanks for the info, Space Junk! I hope BTM doesn't close before next week, for personal selfish reasons. I'm FINALLY getting back to WDW for the first time in 5 years and can't imagine a trip without Thunder Mountain!
    Yep, I post here, and thanks a lot for visiting the site. I really appreciate it. Space Junk is correct in the fact that the Space Mountain refurbishment continues to get pushed further and further back. Originally, it was supposed to close December 2007, then January 2008, etc. No one knows for sure when it will close, only that it will close soon. As for missing it on your trip, don't worry. It will be open (unless it happens to break down which is becoming more frequent lately). For all other refurbishments during your trip (which isn't many), you can look at the list on my site.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

Thanks, DR! I love your site, by the way. I was visiting it before I came here and was pleasantly surprised to find that you post!

Thanks for all the info, everyone else, I appreciate it!

Blog Entries

I apparently did misread it. I was doing about 3 other things at the same time. I thought it was a very strange rumor, but its not the strangest I've ever heard someone post on here.

No worries, KC! My excitement for next week's trip coupled with the fact I've been hopped up on cold medicine for the past few days means many of my posts/emails don't make sense. (Of course, I have no excuse for the days I haven't been sick...)

• MiceChat Partner Site

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysGlove28 View Post
    No worries, KC! My excitement for next week's trip coupled with the fact I've been hopped up on cold medicine for the past few days means many of my posts/emails don't make sense. (Of course, I have no excuse for the days I haven't been sick...)
    Would you mind taking some pictures while you're down in sunny Flordia? I'd love to add them to the site.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast