Thread: Indian food

• Another trip down I-4

Indian food

Is there any good Indian food on (or off) property? DH has never tried Indian food, so a buffet where he can pick and choose and see what he likes would probably be the best option. Thanks!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Indian food

Not on property. There are quite a few Indian restaurants around (including a number on I-Drive) which get good reviews. I've been to Passage of India, but I tend to cook my own curry dishes at home.

Here is a list of some local Indian restaurants:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view...rch+Businesses
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• We'll hold them at bay

I would love a nice India pavillon at WS with an authentic TS or buffet
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    I would love a nice India pavillon at WS with an authentic TS or buffet
    I would too! But at the same time, Disney has a couple of options to fit in good Indian food if they chose. The UK pavilion, as Indian food is HUGE in England. And Yak and Yeti. I had expected Y&Y to include curry/korma dishes on their menu and was very disappointed.

Of course, it'd be great to have an Indian pavilion and a full Indian table service restaurant.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I would too! But at the same time, Disney has a couple of options to fit in good Indian food if they chose. The UK pavilion, as Indian food is HUGE in England. And Yak and Yeti. I had expected Y&Y to include curry/korma dishes on their menu and was very disappointed.
    I think they should leave the UK as it is with British food. But I couldn't agree with you more about the Yak & Yeti, the whole area has an Indian vibe to it
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Little Miss Sunshine

I think they should leave the UK as it is with British food. But I couldn't agree with you more about the Yak & Yeti, the whole area has an Indian vibe to it
    Indian food is as big (or nearly as big) as fish and chips in England. So chicken tikka masala, or curry would, IMHO, fit quite well into the Rose and Crown. Not an Indian buffet, but a dish or two.

As far as Yak and Yeti - I don't get the mostly Chinese food menu!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• We'll hold them at bay

Indian food is as big (or nearly as big) as fish and chips in England. So chicken tikka masala, or curry would, IMHO, fit quite well into the Rose and Crown. Not an Indian buffet, but a dish or two.
    It may be bigger than fish & chips but its not native
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Little Miss Sunshine

I have no idea what is native and what is not native. Like - the filet mushroom steak in Canada (which used to be really good with actual mushrooms). I've had it in more than one place, not just the Canadian pavillion. (I've definitely had it also at the Concourse Steakhouse). I'm not sure that steak is native to Canada, I don't know how popular it is there - I expect as popular as anywhere else. Curry is maybe the #1 food in England, so native or not - it's something that would be popular at the Rose and Crown.

I tend to think of the World Showcase restaurants as "safe" and more Americanized versions of food anyway. (i.e. - I don't think you'll ever find black pudding at the English pavilion, nor haggis).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The UK pavilion, as Indian food is HUGE in England.
    Indian food may not be native to the UK but Denise is right, it is insanely popular there. I have a friend in Tampa that's from the UK and first thing she does whenever she goes back home to visit is hit the Indian restaurants for some curries. They're absolutely nuts about them over there.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Indian food may not be native to the UK but Denise is right, it is insanely popular there.
    I know she's right. I've been to England and frankly, I ate everything but the Englsih food. All I mean is that I wish the restaurants displayed native cuisine. Whether they do or don't we can debate. I just wish they did.
    www.jamboeveryone.com

I live in London and while Indian food certainly is popular, it would be a bit nonsensical to put it in the UK area. I would like to see India (and Russia, Australia or New Zealand) added to the World Showcase, but that's a discussion for another thread. While buffets may be a good way of introducing some people to a new cuisine, they're terrible quality and run a greater risk of turning people off. I took my girlfriend for her first Indian meal in the US, but it was during lunchtime and was a buffet. As a result, she hated Indian food until she had a proper Indian meal at a reataurant in Manhattan.

Dakshin is a great Indian restaurant with a nice staff. We are regulars. It is walking distance from DTD resorts. Located at what's called Crossroads there are several restaurants - McDonalds, Chevy's, BW3, Taco Bell, TGI Fridays, Red Lobster, Perkins, Pizzaria Uno and others as well as a Goodings (a supermarket/grocery store). Dakshin is located next to the TGI Fridays. Lunch is usually about $8 - $9 /person. There are many different filled Dosai to choose from. Or you can choose a meal with sambar, a curry dish, rice and a plain dosa. Dinner is more family style with wider variety of choices many curry dishes - larger for sharing quantities. Different rices and nan. Good stuff.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by MouseHipster View Post
    While buffets may be a good way of introducing some people to a new cuisine, they're terrible quality and run a greater risk of turning people off.
    They don't have to be of terrible quality. Boma is a fantasic buffet and a great way to introduce yourself to African cuisine
    www.jamboeveryone.com