Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Percentage of Repeat Visitors?

I was wondering what the percentage of repeat visitors to WDW are? I know that the local population is much smaller than that of LA, so that would obviously have an effect on the percentage.

The reason I bring this up is because I feel that WDW has many more attractions aimed at one time or very unfrequent visitors than does DL.
    There is a lot more focus on shows instead of rides at WDW. I like some shows, but they don't have nearly the same amount of redoability as rides.

• I was deleted.

Re: Percentage of Repeat Visitors?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I was wondering what the percentage of repeat visitors to WDW are? I know that the local population is much smaller than that of LA, so that would obviously have an effect on the percentage.

The reason I bring this up is because I feel that WDW has many more attractions aimed at one time or very unfrequent visitors than does DL.
    There is a lot more focus on shows instead of rides at WDW. I like some shows, but they don't have nearly the same amount of redoability as rides.
    Yes, you have a good thought there.

I know it's around 80% repeat visitors for DLR but I'm not sure for WDW. They don't have the local base, but they do have a fairly large DVC base - among others to attract more repeat guests. Maybe Kevin Yee would know something like this.

• Banned User

Maybe, maybe not. While DLR is plopped in the middle of a very populated area. WDW is not. Plus since 20% of the population of Orlando (or 80% of Puerto Rico) appears to work at WDW... (that was a catty remark BTW..) then I would say that.. YES, WDW gets less local visitors.. But that is not to mention they do have quite a huge APer base as well.. I guess the reason why many do not run to WDW on a recurrent basis every weekend is because of the longer commutes to get there AND the higher incidence of out of towners, who locals detest mingling and putting up with. That is my assesment of that situation.

You lost me there... many of the rides at WDW are similar to them at DLR..so I somewhat disagree with that point of view.

Well, concidering the lesser quality of some shows at WDW, when compared to similar productions at the other 4 resorts worldwide, I would beg to differ.. TDL for example has a major local fanbase due exactly to the seasonal shows and parades which are top notch, even for a Disney resort. HKDL is now trying to replicate that same dedication from locals by offering more seasonal entertainment as well, plus their "Golden Mickey's" and "Festival of the Lion King" shows are E-ticket IMHO. DLP has done lesser work in regards to shows but still.. productions like "Le Roi Lion", "Mulan", and my personal favorite "Rock Shock" have been great productions as well, but what little local fanbase may be in Paris is due to the thrill rides, and not the shows. Finally at DLR.. special shows and parades like "Party Gras", DCA's "Aladdin" and "Fantasmic!" have been reason enough to encourage locals to visit and become APers... plus DL has much better versions of the classic rides (when compared to the MK) plus some nifty and worthy unique offerings, which makes DL instantly a better park to visit. I think there is a well-balanced appeal when you take rides and shows in concideration.

What I am trying to say is.. WDW does not cater to locals. The Locals who go, visit WDW because they love Disney. But since they only cater to the infrequent visitors, their aim to please is lower. This low "aim" is reflected in the quality of some show and parades, reason why I somewhat disagree when you stated that WDW tends to favor shows rather than rides. Honestly, I think management at WDW underestimates the tourist population and dismisses it with a casual, non-existant urge to create rides and shows that will WOW over and over. I think the budgets for most things reflect that attitude. Even fun rides like Everest begin to loose it's appeal, especially when the lack of maintenance becomes evident to frequent visitors, but since the majority of them are casual tourists who think they can take the Disney monorail to Universal and would not know better... management does not go the extra mile to maintain the "magic" at the level it should be, as designed by the imagineers. Kind of discouraging when your average bloke at the resort would say something like... "Today we are visiting EPCOT and tomorrow we'll go to Disney World"...

• Can't get enough!

I don't know any statistics but I have two thoughts:

1. People may return to WDW because there is so much to do you usually don't get to see it all in one trip.

2. People don't return to frequently because of the cost.

We have been fortunate enought to go 7 times in the past 4 years. We live in Kansas. So it's an expense.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Over 15 years ago, I was told by Disney Univeristy that WDW had 20% repeat guests and 80% first-time guests and Disneyland was just the exact opposite.

Well, I've been to WDW with my family every single year since I was born - sometimes multiple times a year. This was when we all lived in Ohio. Now that I live in South Florida, I go more often. But, my family still makes the trek yearly. So, I would consider that a repeat guest.
    -Tim

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    Well, I've been to WDW with my family every single year since I was born - sometimes multiple times a year. This was when we all lived in Ohio. Now that I live in South Florida, I go more often. But, my family still makes the trek yearly. So, I would consider that a repeat guest.
    As far as WDW that is a repeat visitor for sure.

But for those like myself who are based out here on the west coast it is common to go to the DLR several times permonth. Even many Annual Passholders who are not Micechatters often go on an insanely regular basis like this -- at least 5 or 6 times in a year just to make up for the cost of the pass. And before the Annual Pass was offered or was popular it was common for people in So Cal to go to Disneyland at least once every two or three months.

I wonder if WDW has repeat visitors who frequent it as often as some as the DLR based guests do and what that percentage would be...

• Banned User

I know at least two on these boards who do.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You lost me there... many of the rides at WDW are similar to them at DLR..so I somewhat disagree with that point of view.
    Well, how many times can you ride Ellen's Energy Adventure, Grand Fesita Tour, or Journey into Imagination with out getting bored?

Well, concidering the lesser quality of some shows at WDW, when compared to similar productions at the other 4 resorts worldwide, I would beg to differ.. TDL for example has a major local fanbase due exactly to the seasonal shows and parades which are top notch, even for a Disney resort. HKDL is now trying to replicate that same dedication from locals by offering more seasonal entertainment as well, plus their "Golden Mickey's" and "Festival of the Lion King" shows are E-ticket IMHO. DLP has done lesser work in regards to shows but still.. productions like "Le Roi Lion", "Mulan", and my personal favorite "Rock Shock" have been great productions as well, but what little local fanbase may be in Paris is due to the thrill rides, and not the shows. Finally at DLR.. special shows and parades like "Party Gras", DCA's "Aladdin" and "Fantasmic!" have been reason enough to encourage locals to visit and become APers... plus DL has much better versions of the classic rides (when compared to the MK) plus some nifty and worthy unique offerings, which makes DL instantly a better park to visit. I think there is a well-balanced appeal when you take rides and shows in concideration.

What I am trying to say is.. WDW does not cater to locals. The Locals who go, visit WDW because they love Disney. But since they only cater to the infrequent visitors, their aim to please is lower. This low "aim" is reflected in the quality of some show and parades, reason why I somewhat disagree when you stated that WDW tends to favor shows rather than rides. Honestly, I think management at WDW underestimates the tourist population and dismisses it with a casual, non-existant urge to create rides and shows that will WOW over and over. I think the budgets for most things reflect that attitude. Even fun rides like Everest begin to loose it's appeal, especially when the lack of maintenance becomes evident to frequent visitors, but since the majority of them are casual tourists who think they can take the Disney monorail to Universal and would not know better... management does not go the extra mile to maintain the "magic" at the level it should be, as designed by the imagineers. Kind of discouraging when your average bloke at the resort would say something like... "Today we are visiting EPCOT and tomorrow we'll go to Disney World"...
    I agree with this part of your post. There are three live shows at DLR that are highly rewatchable: Aladdin, Remember...Dreams Come True, and Fantasmic!. None of the live entertainment at WDW is as good as these three shows. Indy at DL wows me everytime, but Dinosaur at DAK feels like a ripoff. Also, DL's POTC wows me every time, while WDW's POTC feels like a ripoff.

• missing the DisneyGallery

I think that most guests are repeat visitors, however there are different types of repeat visitors. Last month when I visited WDW I talked to a lot of retired couples who had visited 10-20 years ago and were returning for the first time in a while. I know a lot of families who go to WDW every other year and take a vacation to some national park or go skiing on alternating years. Then there are people who attend once a year as their summer vacation. Finally there are those who go several times a year.

I think that the basic argument that you are making is the main reason that DCA is a failure. It is built around attractions that are fairly forgettable, and many people say "OK attraction, but I don't have to do it again." The problem is that there are a lot of DLR guests who are local and won't go on attraction at DCA over and over, whereas at WDW you may have an attraction or three that are less than stellar, but since you have so many that at WDW for the first time or experienced that attraction years before; most of these less than stellar attractions don't suffer the way that DCA attraction do.

When attractions were original

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post

I think that the basic argument that you are making is the main reason that DCA is a failure. It is built around attractions that are fairly forgettable, and many people say "OK attraction, but I don't have to do it again." The problem is that there are a lot of DLR guests who are local and won't go on attraction at DCA over and over, whereas at WDW you may have an attraction or three that are less than stellar, but since you have so many that at WDW for the first time or experienced that attraction years before; most of these less than stellar attractions don't suffer the way that DCA attraction do.

Good points. Ignorant execs like Pressler and Eisner thought "they would buy it in Floridia, so why wouldn't they buy it here."

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Some people who go to Disney all the time are just "nuts". I worked for Disney for 10 years and maybe went twice a year in the beginning and the last 3 years we would go for Christmas. Even my grandchildren were sick of going to the same place. As they got older, Universal and Busch Gardens took over because of the rides and the cost. Disney takes all their high speed rides that the older kids love and split them up between the 4 parks for obvious reasons. But it is too costly for people to do this, so they opt for the other parks. Once the teens can drive, they do Busch Gardens because they only have to buy a one day ticket, then as Florida Residents can upgrade that ticket and use it for the entire year for the price of a one day admission. Disney is too expensive. One of the girls I worked with, because the pay scale is so poor, that even with free admission to the parks could not afford the extra gas & the expensive of eating in the parks to take her kids there. You would be amazed at how many families live right here and cannot afford to go to the parks or have never even been there.

For myself, the cost is minimal. I go 4 times a year, every year, for the past 5 years.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    Some people who go to Disney all the time are just "nuts". I worked for Disney for 10 years and maybe went twice a year in the beginning and the last 3 years we would go for Christmas. Even my grandchildren were sick of going to the same place. As they got older, Universal and Busch Gardens took over because of the rides and the cost. Disney takes all their high speed rides that the older kids love and split them up between the 4 parks for obvious reasons. But it is too costly for people to do this, so they opt for the other parks. Once the teens can drive, they do Busch Gardens because they only have to buy a one day ticket, then as Florida Residents can upgrade that ticket and use it for the entire year for the price of a one day admission. Disney is too expensive. One of the girls I worked with, because the pay scale is so poor, that even with free admission to the parks could not afford the extra gas & the expensive of eating in the parks to take her kids there. You would be amazed at how many families live right here and cannot afford to go to the parks or have never even been there.
    The DLR is different in that the cost of getting into DL or DCA is comparable to other local parks. The AP allows guests to visit the park multiple times per year and pays for itself after 5 visits, which for many people before the AP days is the amount of times they would have visited the park anyway.

And right now the 2fer for So Cal residents is going on. This is offered during a 3 month period and allows guests single day admission into both parks for the price of one. It is not a park hopper -- one full day must be spent in each park. So basically it's $66 for DL and DCA is free (or $33 for both parks if you want to look at it that way). So Disney purposefully offers serious incentives for people to visit (although the main reason is to boost attendance at DCA. This has been working. Recent wait times for TOT has been 75 minutes!)

Sorry for being long winded there. As for kids becoming teens and preferring Busch Gardens, we have the same problem out here. Except then they start going to Knott's Berry Farm or Magic Mountain. But this is a phase that normally passes after the teenager realizes the inferiority of these parks to the DLR. I think Florida teens are similar but if they don't frequent WDW as much it just may not be as noticable.

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    Some people who go to Disney all the time are just "nuts". I worked for Disney for 10 years and maybe went twice a year in the beginning and the last 3 years we would go for Christmas. Even my grandchildren were sick of going to the same place. As they got older, Universal and Busch Gardens took over because of the rides and the cost. Disney takes all their high speed rides that the older kids love and split them up between the 4 parks for obvious reasons. But it is too costly for people to do this, so they opt for the other parks. Once the teens can drive, they do Busch Gardens because they only have to buy a one day ticket, then as Florida Residents can upgrade that ticket and use it for the entire year for the price of a one day admission.
    I'm pretty sure that most people are glad that the teens decide to choose amusement parks over theme parks.

Theres a reason why WDW is known as the vacation kingdom; most people who go there are on vacation and usually stay there for 5-7 days, thus allowing them to go to visit all of the thrill attractions at various times during their vacation.

When attractions were original

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast