I'm sure most of you would agree that Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom is one of the best shows on property. I've been fortunate to see this show many many times from even before the park opened to the public. Over the years, I've noticed some changes that somewhat bother me. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed these changes and what you thought about them.
1) The conversion of the theatre to a completely indoor theatre. Since Camp Minnie Mickey is supposed to be a summer camp, I loved that the theatre was really just a roof before. It really seemed like a "camp auditorium". I've attended the shows in really hot temperatures too and never really had any issues with heat. Does anyone know why they did this? Have guests really complained about the heat that much or was it for some other reason? DAK used to be an "outdoor park", and now it's very much an indoor park.
2) The elimination of the "trees" that the tumble monkeys danced on in the finale. I remember seeing these very early on in the first year of the park. They stuck in the ground in the last act and the monkeys would spin around them and such. They were just decorated, flexible poles. I thought it was a much more fitting finale for them instead of just dancing around with the other cast since they ARE tumble monkeys after all.
3) The four main cast members. Granted, I guess I'm spoiled because the original four cast members I thought were absolutely perfect for the show and I saw the show so many times opening season. But, over the years, I haven't minded the changes in cast too much. But, with my most recent visit a couple weeks ago, I thought the main cast was awful. The big dude I couldn't even understand when he was singing and I know all the words. No offense to any of the performers, but I really didn't think they were good at all. Even my friend that was with me who's only seen the show a couple times commented at the end of the show that the main singers were bad.
4) The new "shoes" that the tumble monkeys wear. I just noticed these recently, so I'm not sure how new they are. But, they seriously look like florescent Crocs. They were very distracting to me during the show. My eye instinctively went to their feet since they were so bright. And, I thought it took away from their costume a LOT because they literally look like shoes - not monkey paws. I noticed most other cast members had their shoes covered with costume features. If I remember correctly, the monkeys used to have their costume cover their feet almost like kid's pajamas if you know what I mean. Anyone know why this was changed and when?
5) Being allowed to use flash photography during the show. Uh, what's up with this newest change? It bugs me to no end. The theatre is so dark, the flashes right in your face (since the audience on the other side faces directly at you) are really distracting and annoying - at least to me. Why would the show go for so many years without flash photography and then suddenly make a change to allow it? During recent years, I've noticed people using flash cameras all over the place. On dark rides, in shows, etc... I just don't get it. It really negatively impacts my experience at the parks.
What are everyone else's thoughts? Am I being too picky?