Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: EPCOT Center - Vintage Map

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    WoL opened on October 19, 1989.

Thanks. I'm surprised it opened that much later than the rest of Future World. I had just always assumed it opened with the park.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Very cool- great find. Looks terrific
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Senior Minion

very cool
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    As far as I know, the map was printed and sold in 1982 and later. It was not given to guests, but sold as a souvenir. There is also one of these maps hanging in the Epcot 25 exhibit in Innoventions. Beyond that I don't know much of the history of it, and if anybody does know, I'd love to hear it.
    You are correct. These large format souvenir retail maps were sold to the public and were a tradition dating back to Anaheim Disneyland's earliest days. The size of these maps was not always consistent, but they were always very large like this one is.

I have dozens of them, including this EPCOT Center '82 Opening one...all purchased first-hand back when they were first sold...going all the way back to the 1950's at Disneyland, right up to the opening day one from Hong Kong Disneyland. They are indeed a treasure of Disney theme park history, and I wish they continued on with that tradition at all the Parks today, but they don't seem to.

Of course, the perfect companion piece to your EPCOT Center '82 map, is the Magic Kingdom opening '71 map:

...which is lots of fun because it shows so many early now-gone attractions as well as whole areas yet-to-be built (Tomorrowland is practically empty!).

WDW also at various times sold several of these large format maps that not only covered a particular Park...but also covered the entire property including the hotels and Lake Buena Vista Village, etc.

While my collection of maps is largely unframed and just archived, I know one gentleman down here in Southern California that has each and every one Disney ever made for any Park in the world...all framed and displayed within his two-story home!

They are great additions to anyone's collection, but because of their large size...the framing costs can often far exceed what you paid for the actual map!!!

If you're interested...here's a web site that gives a few examples of some of the early Disneyland versions:

http://www.mousemaps.com/

Last edited by Opus1guy; 02-20-2008 at 10:43 AM.

• Shubisha

I always hated when they'd put "Opening 19xx" on a souvenir map. On a handed out park map fine give people a reason to come back and make them aware it's not currently open but not on the souvenir ones =P Makes it seem less souvenir and more you were handed it at the park and made a poster out of it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great map!! Looks good next to the other prints too.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    I always hated when they'd put "Opening 19xx" on a souvenir map. On a handed out park map fine give people a reason to come back and make them aware it's not currently open but not on the souvenir ones =P Makes it seem less souvenir and more you were handed it at the park and made a poster out of it.
    Some may agree with you, but that was also another tradition that stretched back to the very first Disneyland large format retail map in the late 1950's. Walt Disney himself insisted that the large retail maps include "Future Attractions" just for that reason...to excite the purchaser as to what they may find in subsequent visits. Disney Legend and my old friend Sam McKim...who created most of the Disneyland ones...would often mention this when talking about creating these large retail maps.

Given-away, purchased, whatever...these things were always considered to be a form of Marketing, as well as Merchandise. Most of the maps were sold folded...and I don't think Disney ever expected them to become framed art. It was very popular for kids to open them up on the carpet and take virtual tours of the Park in their imaginations. Sometimes they would tack them up on their bedroom walls as a sort of poster. But it wasn't until fairly recently that Disney on occasion would offer the option to purchase these rolled in tubes and suitable-for-framing. Mostly...when you can find them...they're still sold folded.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Very cool!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    As I mentioned, I had it custom-framed. Expensive, but totally worth it!
    I want an EPCOT Center map! That's so cool. I have a Disneyland 45th anniversary retro one circa 1958 that I have framed.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    As I mentioned, I had it custom-framed. Expensive, but totally worth it!
    I understand that, but did you go to a chain like Michaels?

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by briano View Post
    I understand that, but did you go to a chain like Michaels?
    No, I went to Hollywood Poster Frames in Chatsworth. They actually specialize in- you guessed it- movie posters, and in fact they're only open three days a week to the public because they spend the rest of the week doing studio work. They're main business other than the studio market is framing for collectors, so they know the importance of protecting the artwork. As I said, expensive, but totally worth it, and the woman there (who is actually a friend of a friend) pointed out that that map will probably outlive me (to the extent that it will still be in good condition even after I'm gone).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12