Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Inside Edition story-watch the Disney connection:

If this does NOT make you sick:

http://www.insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyID=1320

HOTEL DRINKING GLASSES A HIDDEN CAMERA INVESTIGATION

When checking into a hotel room, you expect it to be clean and comfortable. It's a place to relax, watch TV, and have a drink.

You expect that the glasses and coffee mugs are clean before you use them. But is that always the case?

To find out INSIDE EDITION checked into some hotel rooms, set up several hidden cameras and then left dirty glasses all around the room to see if the maids would clean them properly.

At the upscale Grand Hyatt in Washington D.C., less than a mile from the White House, the maid took the dirty glasses and coffee mugs and put them in the sink. She then ran water on them and just rinsed them off. She didn’t even use soap. She then used a dirty towel in the bathroom to wipe the glasses down. The maid then glanced at the glasses a couple of times before putting them away.

After she left INSIDE EDITION inspected them and found one with visible lipstick marks.

In Orlando, where millions of tourists flock every year, INSIDE EDITION visited Walt Disney World’s famous Contemporary Resort.

There, hidden cameras recorded a maid as she properly removed the dirty glasses and replaced them with clean ones. But then she rinsed off dirty coffee mugs and used her hands, without soap, to clean them. She then gave them a once over before putting them away with lipstick still on them.

At the nearby Hilton, also located in the Disney World resort, the housekeeper rinsed glasses with water and once again used no soap. With a towel in hand, the housekeeper appeared to wipe her nose or mouth and then used the same towel to wipe the glass before she put it back on the sink. She then covered the glass with a paper lid.

INSIDE EDITION showed parts of the footage to Dr. Kelly Reynolds, who is a microbiologist at the University of Arizona. She said glasses that aren’t properly cleaned can lead to potentially dangerous diseases. “Hepatitis A, Ecoli, Salmonella, Shigella…All these things can cause diarrhea-type illnesses,” says Dr. Reynolds.

In all, of the 12 hotels INSIDE EDITION visited in Washington D.C., Boston and Orlando, six of them did not properly clean their glasses.

The management of those hotels all told INSIDE EDITION that the cleanliness of their hotels is of the utmost importance…that the glasses should have been removed and sanitized in a commercial dishwasher according to their standards... and that they would initiate additional training to ensure employees follow proper procedures.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Inside Edition story-watch the Disney connection:

I personally think that these are isolated incidents. Because I personally know a lot of House Keepers and House Keeping Managers who take great pride in their work, and do either a great job cleaning rooms, or inspecting them.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• For You!

I've heard of that happening a long time ago - in several hotels. We only drink out of the glasses if they're from the restaurant or if they are paper cups wrapped in plastic.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

This happens everywhere. I just don't use hotel glasses or in-room coffee pots. You just never know what the other hundreds of guests have done with/in them.
    -Tim

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I think I just threw up a little. We use the glasses all the time when we stay at hotels.....UGH...GROSS!

• We'll hold them at bay

I don't see what the problem is
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    I personally think that these are isolated incidents. Because I personally know a lot of House Keepers and House Keeping Managers who take great pride in their work, and do either a great job cleaning rooms, or inspecting them.
    Oh...let me tell you...these are hardly isolated incidences! I'm glad you personally know many folks that are dedicated and competent housecleaning staff. But Road Warriors such as myself, know this kind of thing goes on fairly commonly from first hand experience. While I'm sure there are great housekeepers out there, this report as well as dozens of similar ones done in the past by investigative institutions and the Press (and also posted about here in MiceChat in the past) prove that a large percentage aren't great housekeepers.

Think about it. In this one totally random sampling...50%...HALF...of the maids failed to clean properly or to the hotel's already established policies. If those statistics are anything even remotely close to an accurate sampling...that could equate to hundreds of thousands of hotel rooms in the U.S. PER DAY!

And dirty glasses are just ONE example. That's just the tip of the iceberg. The other disgusting and sometimes dangerous stuff I've found in my supposedly clean hotel room...well...I could write a book! And other similar Press investigations and random samplings where they were armed with blacklights and laboratory sample results...they would turn your stomach.

Of course, part of the problem is that many times a hotel room that might look clean to the naked eye...can be anything but. So even the hotel's room inspectors (if they have them and if they are competent themselves) are most often totally unaware of what occurred during the out-of-sight cleaning process.

All you need is a lazy, or improperly trained, or incompetent, or even sometimes the deliberately malicious housekeeper...and you can be exposed to all sorts of nasty stuff in your "cleaned" hotel room. It's such a prevalent problem as far as hotel rooms go...better to assume it's not all up to snuff, IMHO. Even at Disney.

When I enter an hotel room (which I do about 100 times a year), I have a whole routine of taking a few minutes for inspection and sometimes recleaning, and on occasion requesting a new properly cleaned room...before I actually settle in.

I have to stay in hotel rooms frequently (I'm typing from one in Houston, Texas right now). But knowing what I and even many in the hotel industry (which we do business in) know...there are many times I'd rather not.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Think about it. In this one totally random sampling...50%...HALF...of the maids failed to clean properly or to the hotel's already established policies. If those statistics are anything even remotely close to an accurate sampling...that could equate to hundreds of thousands of hotel rooms in the U.S. PER DAY!
    Even though this is disturbing, you can in no way take this 50% and apply it to the whole country. For the number of hotels in the country, this was an insufficient sample size. This is not a random sampling either. No matter how you look at it, this is not an actual survey. I'm not trying to say that this does not happen but there is absolutely no basis to assume this occurs in 50% of the hotels in this nation.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Even though this is disturbing, you can in no way take this 50% and apply it to the whole country. For the number of hotels in the country, this was an insufficient sample size. This is not a random sampling either. No matter how you look at it, this is not an actual survey. I'm not trying to say that this does not happen but there is absolutely no basis to assume this occurs in 50% of the hotels in this nation.
    Of course it's not a sufficient sampling. But it could go the other way as well. Perhaps this sampling's result was lower than the average! It could be. But I did comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    If those statistics are anything even remotely close...
    And I still think that's true. Not only because in this case they walked into 12 hotels and found 6 failed...but from other similar investigative reports I've seen and read about, and my own personal experience which bears out a high percentage of housecleaning failures.

And I didn't even get into the subject of how often hotel policy can effect a room's cleanliness. A maid may be doing a great job and going by-the-book in following hotel policy. But if that hotel's policy is to only change the bed's comforter once a week (or even more infrequently)...you never know what you might be exposed to. That's a whole other story.

As I said...I could write a book. And if my personal experiences are any indication...I wouldn't be surprised if a more scientific sampling bore out similar results.

Or worse.

This one from earlier this month (and which may have prompted/inspired the Inside Edition one)...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BusinessTr...4277067&page=1

...even mentions a 3 out of 4 failing rate, and a 11 out of 15 failing rate. And some other ugly stories. Be sure to read all 4 pages of it. It's kind of fun to read the finely crafted responses from some of the hotels.

And of course...this is all ONLY about the issue of dirty glasses.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I have worked at hotels......I know the dirty secrets!!! I have walked with an inspector checking rooms....

I use ONLY plastic glasses.....wrapped up.

for those of you who don't know....the remote is THE sacriest, germiest thing you will EVER find in a hotel room. Think about it. Ew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
    I have worked at hotels......I know the dirty secrets!!! I have walked with an inspector checking rooms....

for those of you who don't know....the remote is THE sacriest, germiest thing you will EVER find in a hotel room. Think about it. Ew.
    Absolutely. Although I think the (hopefully) one-time experience of reaching up under a bedside lampshade to turn on the light and coming into contact with a used condom dangling off the switch...might have had a higher scare factor for me.

And this was at a Five-Star hotel.

I still shudder when I think about it. It's not my only "finding a used condom in my hotel room" story. But it's most certainly the one that was scariest! Yuck. Just typing this makes me want to go wash my hands!

• Why can't you tune a fish

Thats a tough one. My vote goes for the phone. Oh lord stay away from the hotel phones. I have seen the phones in peoples houses. I have seen the trouble calls where a customer complains about low volume - well thats because all the holes in your phone are clogged with grease, sweat, and makeup. Yeah, that person uses your hotel phone too.

Sweet dreams

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Absolutely. Although I think the (hopefully) one-time experience of reaching up under a bedside lampshade to turn on the light and coming into contact with a used condom dangling off the switch...might have had a higher scare factor for me.

And this was at a Five-Star hotel.

I still shudder when I think about it. It's not my only "finding a used condom in my hotel room" story. But it's most certainly the one that was scariest! Yuck. Just typing this makes me want to go wash my hands!

That wins the prize. Bleah.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• She was sweet as a peach

I just assume the glasses (and pretty much everything else) are dirty.
    I try not to let it wig me out too much.

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Thats a tough one. My vote goes for the phone. Oh lord stay away from the hotel phones. I have seen the phones in peoples houses. I have seen the trouble calls where a customer complains about low volume - well thats because all the holes in your phone are clogged with grease, sweat, and makeup. Yeah, that person uses your hotel phone too.

Sweet dreams

-dave
    I think I am bringing a can of Lysol with me in March....note to self-spray phone and remote- Check!
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast