Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hurricanes, Stitch and Dining Reservations

Everyone was so nice in answering my previous questions, I thought I would intrude on your knowledge again.

What does one do in the event of a hurricane at WDW? We’re planning to make our first trip in Sept., and I know that’s prime time for such things to happen. Any insights?

Also, what’s the best way to protect yourself from the inevitable rain? Ponchos, umbrellas, or both? Or do you just let it come because it’s been so humid all day and you’re drenched already?

Stitch's Great Escape: I’ve read reviews that it has a “lingering grossness” to it. It is worth risking the smell?

Last one (for now)

Can you make advanced reservations at multiple restaurants for the same time period? And (semi-seriously) do you see it as ethical to do this?

Thanks!!!!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Hurricanes, Stitch and Dining Reservations

hurricanes.....they hardly ever happen in the Orlando Area. So, I think you're pretty safe. In case of anything like that, I'm sure Disney would be happy to move your reservation.

I say take ponchos. We have ALWAYS carried umbrellas to block the sun/protect from rain....and while it's great for those reasons, carrying one around, can be troublesome. Ponchos are easily tucked away, and you don't have to worry about bashing anyone in the head.

Stitch, haha...it's only got one gross part...and it doesn't last long. I promise you won't be scarred for life if you take it in. I think it's adorable, but, then....I'm a big Stitch fan. Everything's worth trying once.

I don't know about the multiple reservations at the same time...whether or not it's possible. I don't think it's a very nice thing to do..since other people are at home hoping and dreaming about that same hotel. The best thing to do; in my opinion...is plot out where you will be on what day and make your reservations for a restaurant in that park.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Hurricanes are unlikely in Orlando, but they do happen (Hurricane Charley, anyone?). But There's a good chance you'll be fine.

Hurricanes rarely hit Orlando. But, you'd be safe in one of the resorts anyways. They're all built to hurricane codes.

I'd take ponchos with you. Personally I can't stand umbrellas in parks, especially if they're crowded. You just end up poking everyone (and getting poked), so it's not worth it to me. Plus, compared to a poncho, they're not going to keep you very dry.

Stitch? Meh. Personally I hate the attraction and think it's a bore, not to mention a horrible show. It used to be so amazing as Alien Encounter. I even like Stitch a lot. But, they really dropped the ball on that attraction. There's no lingering grossness at all.

Dining reservations cannot be made for the same times if you give the same phone number on each reservation and/or speak with the same reservation agent to make them. There are ways around this, but like stitchy-poo said, it's not really nice to do that as you're taking a reservation from other people when you can't physically use both.
    -Tim

• Little Miss Sunshine

Hurricanes - every year on September 18th.

Actually, I find our weather here usually worst in the winter. For me, hurricanes are generally a non-issue, and I live in Orlando.

I don't like ponchos, too humid. I don't like umbrellas - I feel like a lightening rod. I just go with a windbreaker and I don't mind walking in a light to medium rain.

I personally would not make multiple dining reservations. That keeps others from being able to make them as well.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by blubayou33 View Post
    Everyone was so nice in answering my previous questions, I thought I would intrude on your knowledge again.

What does one do in the event of a hurricane at WDW? We’re planning to make our first trip in Sept., and I know that’s prime time for such things to happen. Any insights?

Also, what’s the best way to protect yourself from the inevitable rain? Ponchos, umbrellas, or both? Or do you just let it come because it’s been so humid all day and you’re drenched already?

Stitch's Great Escape: I’ve read reviews that it has a “lingering grossness” to it. It is worth risking the smell?

Last one (for now)

Can you make advanced reservations at multiple restaurants for the same time period? And (semi-seriously) do you see it as ethical to do this?

Thanks!!!!
    I agree with what nobodyhome had to say. They really are pretty much a non-issue. We did have one year where we got hit pretty hard, 3 times in a row, but thank God nothing since. Ponchos are the best, stay in the parks, usually everyone else leaves and you can get on and off the rides with no wait. In the event of a hurricane, we have excellent weather services here, plenty of advance warning and the hotels would be the safest place to be.

As to mulitple reservations, you can, sometimes the system will pick it up and cancel all of them, morally, not too fair to others to do that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Stitch is one of the worst attractions on Disney property, in my opinion, but everyone has their own opinions about each attraction; try it at least once. You may like it!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I don't like ponchos, too humid. I don't like umbrellas - I feel like a lightening rod. I just go with a windbreaker and I don't mind walking in a light to medium rain.

I personally would not make multiple dining reservations. That keeps others from being able to make them as well.
    I agree

Plus, Stitch is a waste of time
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    We did have one year where we got hit pretty hard, 3 times in a row, but thank God nothing since.
    Charlie was a quick 45 minutes of sheer terror for me! The others were very wet here, but I don't remember them being too bad. Charlie really did a lot of damage in Orlando, but I'm not sure there were even any real injuries here. The storm was supposed to hit the Tampa area, which would have been worse.

On the other hand, last year (2007), 21 people died on Groundhogs Day from tornadoes in Lake County. A few days ago, I was driving home from Disney - and it was much worse weather than a normal day in September/October, I was very alert in case of funnel clouds!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Can't get enough!

Hurricanes - every year on September 18th.
    That is my daughter's birthday and our anniversary! We will be sure not to go to WDW for those celebrations, then again we are in roofing and reconstruction so it would be good for business!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by tayakaleb View Post
    That is my daughter's birthday and our anniversary! We will be sure not to go to WDW for those celebrations, then again we are in roofing and reconstruction so it would be good for business!

LOL!!!!

We will not expect to see Hurricane Tayakaleb anytime soon.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Last year was the first time we ran into any rain on a trip to WDW. I think we've been lucky in the past. The only night it bothered us was when we were in an absolute downpour. There were some super winds to go with it, too. My sister's umbrella was blown inside out. It was very Mary Poppins. Anyway, I started carrying an umbrella for the rest of the trip and I found myself using it mostly to keep the sun off my face. It was rather nice. Ponchos for me are way too much plastic which just makes me more hot and miserable.

By the way, I don't think Stitch is the best ride in the park, but I enjoy it and we do it at least once on every trip. I'm a big Lilo & Stitch fan though. The smell is horrible, however it fades quickly. To be replaced by all of the wonderful aromas of your fellow sweaty tourists.

Charlie was a quick 45 minutes of sheer terror for me! The others were very wet here, but I don't remember them being too bad. Charlie really did a lot of damage in Orlando, but I'm not sure there were even any real injuries here. The storm was supposed to hit the Tampa area, which would have been worse.

On the other hand, last year (2007), 21 people died on Groundhogs Day from tornadoes in Lake County. A few days ago, I was driving home from Disney - and it was much worse weather than a normal day in September/October, I was very alert in case of funnel clouds!
    You are so right. I also was caught in that downpour the other day and it was like driving in a snowstorm. Everyone had their hazard lights on so you could see the car in front of you. We seem to have a much worse threat of tornados than we do of hurricanes lately??

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    You are so right. I also was caught in that downpour the other day and it was like driving in a snowstorm. Everyone had their hazard lights on so you could see the car in front of you. We seem to have a much worse threat of tornados than we do of hurricanes lately??
    Winter is definitely crazy as far as weather sometimes (for tornado watches and such).

I was very fortunate as far as the weather this week. I left Disney in time - and then I left Costco just in time, or I'd have needed my hazards too. The rain wasn't as bad as it could be, but occasionally the car got pushed around by a strong gust. The clouds were very ugly too, when you could see them (sometimes it was nearly pitch black).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Winter is definitely crazy as far as weather sometimes (for tornado watches and such).

I was very fortunate as far as the weather this week. I left Disney in time - and then I left Costco just in time, or I'd have needed my hazards too. The rain wasn't as bad as it could be, but occasionally the car got pushed around by a strong gust. The clouds were very ugly too, when you could see them (sometimes it was nearly pitch black).
    We were in a Hummer and it was blowing in the wind. That's was a pretty strong wind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast