Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: DAK v DHS:Who needs a New Land?

DAK. Camp Minnie-Mickey was never meant to be a permanent area.

Tear it up, and gimme Australia! Or, alternatively, keep CMM (the Lion King show IS popular) and turn Dino-Rama into Australia. That way the Nemo theatre fits in.

Blog Entries

AK is really a great park, the only area I'd personally like to see removed is in Dinoland (which I've mentioned already). I like Conservation Station, Camp Minnie-Mickey is okay, but there are some really amazing areas of the park. When the Jungle Trek first opened, I practically lived there for a year.
    I don't want Dinoland to go away, I just want it to be done correctly. I think having dinosaurs in DAK is great, that area just doesn't fit in with the rest of the park however. I hate the cheap look of the whole area.

I personally can't stand conservation station, errr... Rafiki's Planet Watch, I may feel differently once my son gets old enough to enjoy the petting zoo areas. However Camp Minnie Mickey either needs to go or have a lot added to it. It really just feels like a placeholder right now. DAK really needs some more indoor rides to help with the heat. I'd love to see an entire Arctic Pavilion built that would have some sort of indoor ride (maybe a jeep trek through the arctic or something) so that we could get out of the heat and into a nice cool area.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I don't want Dinoland to go away, I just want it to be done correctly. I think having dinosaurs in DAK is great, that area just doesn't fit in with the rest of the park however. I hate the cheap look of the whole area.

I personally can't stand conservation station, errr... Rafiki's Planet Watch, I may feel differently once my son gets old enough to enjoy the petting zoo areas. However Camp Minnie Mickey either needs to go or have a lot added to it. It really just feels like a placeholder right now. DAK really needs some more indoor rides to help with the heat. I'd love to see an entire Arctic Pavilion built that would have some sort of indoor ride (maybe a jeep trek through the arctic or something) so that we could get out of the heat and into a nice cool area.

Well, it essenially is or was a placeholder. Unfortunately, management got the better of WDI and we all know what happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post

Oh - I didn't mean ALL of Dinoland. I especially love running around the Boneyard (I am a big kid sometimes!). Just the tacky area (Primeval Whirl, etc.).

I hadn't been to Conservation Station in forever until recently, but a friend of mine spent nearly every morning of her trip there - watching animal surgeries. I thought that was really cool. She was there so often, they gave her a "Magic Moment", which ended up being a couple of hour tour.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    The only way to get another animal trail is to add in Austraila
    You could do an America area with an Amazon river ride or a Grizzly Canyon trail or an Alligator River Trail. Or you could do an Aquatics/Atlantis area with a manatee river trail, alligator river trail, or a sea coast
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    You could do an America area with an Amazon river ride or a Grizzly Canyon trail or an Alligator River Trail. Or you could do an Aquatics/Atlantis area with a manatee river trail, alligator river trail, or a sea coast
    They do most of their reptile experiance with handlers on the animal trails. Or at least they did when I was there, showing native snakes (non-poisonous ones, of course) to guests that are on the trail. Their gators are also centrally located in Dinoland, though nobody seems to take note of that small enclousure due to the midway attractions everyone says should get bulldozed. And The (Living) Seas with Nemo kind of covers the Atlantis/manatee/sea life arena nicely.

Personally, having lived in both the Pacific NW and near the Smokey Mountains, Grizzlies aren't all that big of a draw for me... real or animatronic. Thought I do wish they would come back to DLR in DCA under the gimmic of a "Homecoming Show" by Grizzly Peak, but that's more armchair imagineering.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Minion

I would like to see DAK get a new land just because there are so many more areas to explore. Space providing, they could add lands devoted to other continents (North America, South America, Australia). I still ma hoping for Beastly Kingdom. There are so many great ideas for a land whereas you are mush more limited wit the Studios when trying to create a new land. A "Lucasland" would be cool but there are already 2 Lucas based attractions in the park, so how original would this land actually be? Pixar Place sounds okay too, but I think its safe to assume that the theming in either of these lands would be no match for what they could create in DAK. I'll echo others and say that DAK could certainly use more attractions but not a new land.

• We'll hold them at bay

They do most of their reptile experiance with handlers on the animal trails. Or at least they did when I was there, showing native snakes (non-poisonous ones, of course) to guests that are on the trail. Their gators are also centrally located in Dinoland, though nobody seems to take note of that small enclousure due to the midway attractions everyone says should get bulldozed. And The (Living) Seas with Nemo kind of covers the Atlantis/manatee/sea life arena nicely.

Personally, having lived in both the Pacific NW and near the Smokey Mountains, Grizzlies aren't all that big of a draw for me... real or animatronic. Thought I do wish they would come back to DLR in DCA under the gimmic of a "Homecoming Show" by Grizzly Peak, but that's more armchair imagineering.
    But for many zoo goers, the grizzly is a draw
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

DHS just needs a new identity really. There's too many Sound Stages. Echo Park section is just kind of meh. Star Tours has a queue that represents Endor but a shop directly next to it that represents Tatooine -- that's kind of what I consider greedy to try and be too many things at once. Right next to that is the bricks of Muppet Vision and Pizza Planet... an odd pair.

So you see, it's not so much that a new land is needed. The entire park just needs some reorganization! If there was a "Pixar Place" that served as a type of Fantasyland for all the pixar films to live, then that's where Pizza Planet should be moved to, and visually, I think it would be kind of neat to TRY and make it look like the real Pizza Planet.. not just throw it in a brick building covered with massive toy story figures.

The other objective of Pixar Place is to keep them OUT of the Magic Kingdom! Even Buzz Lightyear isn't the best thing for Tomorrowland. Monsters Inc? Definitely not.

If there was a "Lucasland" or something like that, there definitely a lot of possibilities for great attractions isn't there? Of course it just wouldn't work if it was smack dab in the middle of a bunch of Sound Stages so the land needs to feel like wherever the ride will take place. It needs to be believable -- and that's the main problem with a "studios" concept. Everything in sound stages is fake, but it's the magic of the movies that brings them to life. Star Wars is a huge property that is rich full of ideas for stores, dining, and rides if they stop to imagineer them up!

The place has potential... DHS needs to avoid starting off with the "fake" presumption, reorganize, and it could be great.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    DHS just needs a new identity really. There's too many Sound Stages. Echo Park section is just kind of meh. Star Tours has a queue that represents Endor but a shop directly next to it that represents Tatooine -- that's kind of what I consider greedy to try and be too many things at once. Right next to that is the bricks of Muppet Vision and Pizza Planet... an odd pair.
    Thing is, that's the theming of a real studio. It costs money to build sets, so real studios double up on their buildings and shoot only the section that is visible for the setting they need.

It's also why the back side of some of the Main Street buildings double as the fronts for some Adventureland buildings in MK and in DL.

• We'll hold them at bay

Thing is, that's the theming of a real studio. It costs money to build sets, so real studios double up on their buildings and shoot only the section that is visible for the setting they need.

It's also why the back side of some of the Main Street buildings double as the fronts for some Adventureland buildings in MK and in DL.
    I agree. I don't really have a problem with various elements of star wars being represented next to a Muppets Courtyard, next to a Power Rangers meet-n-greet, etc etc.

There are areas (the Boulevards) that contain one theme in the area.
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• The Darkness to Light

Not to mention how Fantasmic! is right next to Tower of Terror which is next to Rockin' Roller Coaster. And nobody has a problem with that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Doubling up in different lands is fine with me. Especially if the illusion that it is its own building is still there. Doubling up directly next to it in the same area is what bothers me.

It's the problem with the Studios Concept: occasionally good theming paired with bland sound stages. I understand that it's how studios are. But I've been around studios for a while and they're boring. Disneyland took the magic OUT of the sound stages to transport you to the new world. Hollywood Studios should try to follow the same.

Not to mention how Fantasmic! is right next to Tower of Terror which is next to Rockin' Roller Coaster. And nobody has a problem with that.
    I'm fine with Tower of Terror and somewhat okay w/ Rockin' Rollercoaster. That whole Hollywood area is the only properly themed environment in the whole park. So having a hotel at the end of the street is great. G-Force Records is acceptable, but they definitely went all out in making it a "theme park attraction" exterior.

Fantasmic is just odd because it's in an ampitheater. If they made it like the Hollywood Bowl or something, it might be kinda neat.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• We'll hold them at bay

I really don't mind the theming of the DHS with the possible exception of Echo Lake. It does seem like they could have united that into something. You have the two boulevards, you have the NYC area. Why "Echo Lake"?

They should theme that a little better somehow.

Maybe just redo the area into a LucasFilms area. Or something else. I like bulldozing The Backlot Tour for a Roarin' 20s Broadway. But that probably wouldn't work in that area.
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    DHS just needs a new identity really. There's too many Sound Stages. Echo Park section is just kind of meh. Star Tours has a queue that represents Endor but a shop directly next to it that represents Tatooine -- that's kind of what I consider greedy to try and be too many things at once. .
    The shop was originally themed to Endor and called "Endor Vendors." Some years ago they changed it to a Tatooine theme. The speculation was that this was to go along with the "pod racer" redo of Star Tours that never materialized.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast