Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• We'll hold them at bay

DAK v DHS:Who needs a New Land?

I'm just curious what you guys think. Which of these parks, Animal Kingdom or the Studios, needs a new "land" more? And why?

And, what the heck, what would you like to see? Beastly Kingdomme, a George Lucas Land, America (at DAK), etc etc etc
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Re: DAK v DHS:Who needs a New Land?

Angel Groove at DHS.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Little Miss Sunshine

I don't know that MGM needs a new land, they just need to fill what they have more effectively (i.e. - not American Idol).

IMHO, Animal Kingdom can actually use more growth. It's not like there is so much empty space to fill in now, it'd be wonderful to see the park add another land. I would certainly prefer that to Night Kingdom, given the choice.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I don't know that MGM needs a new land,
    I would like to see them plow the backlot Tour and develope a new area
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Disney Hollywood Studios is an oddly shaped park and they definitely need some major new offerings and attractions. Part of the problem is the reliance on the "studio backlot" concept which works for Universal Hollywood because it is a working studio! But Studios, real or not, are not attractive buildings! They're large and plain... which is something that Walt always placed OUTSIDE of the berm, hidden from view! Not knowing how large the attraction was was part of the fun, and it always made the experience more impressive.

But anyhoo, for Disney Hollywood Studios, I suppose the two land concepts that make the most sense (right now) would be a Lucasfilm effort with more Star Wars and Indiana Jones or a Pixar Place -- a Fantasyland hybrid that showcases multiple Pixar films that would fit best at Hollywood Studios (suggestion: move Monsters Inc Laugh Floor here). They could even make an entire Monstropolis land perhaps where guests can eat at Harryhausen's selection of sushi with funny names.

OR. Since WDW doesn't have a REAL Toon Town at Magic Kingdom, how about build a brand new TOON TOWN at DHS behind the Hollywood areas? It would be geographically correct as far as the film goes and would make for a cool land if they DON'T skew it too young. Ink & Paint Club, Gag Factory, redone Roger Rabbit Ride, Maroon Cartoons... it could all find a permanent home in this area.

For Disney's Animal Kingdom, well, I'm not really loving their Dinoland USA, but I'll ignore that. I think what would be great for Animal Kingdom is a land that already exists in another park, but do the complete opposite of how it was built.

A BUG'S LAND.

Before you cry foul, hear me out. The Animal Kingdom doesn't need to ignore insects now does it? Most Zoos have plenty of insect exibits and even "It's Tough to be A Bug" is one of the centerpiece attractions.

So how about a REAl Bug's Land done in the Disney fashion but WITHOUT the cheap kiddie carnival rides? What it COULD have are:

-giant blades of grass and plant life to make you feel like you're the size of a bug
    -insect exhibits and presentations about insects, giving everyone a close-up view
    -a fun themed dining experience inside a box or barrell and if you look above you, flies the size of you are dining on the cieling.
    -attractions! We're talking about some cool ones here. WDW doesn't have a Casey Jr. Circus Train, so maybe a bug's circus train around the land would be cool? Dinoland needs to lose tricertops spin so maybe a dumbo type ride with the character DIM? A darkride like the Haunted Mansion into the anthills would be cool and a finale with a giant bird. etc etc etc.
    -If kids really like to play around, then give them a playground too.

A Bug's Land would really be my idea to take the pressures off of Dinoland to be as cool as it should be. hester & chester needs to be extinct and they should focus more on the magnificent creatures that used to walk the earth. With all of the recent fossil discoveries, Dinosaurs are as fascinating as ever and need some type of exhibit that celebrates all the recent discoveries.

Oh and I'd still love a Beastly Kingdom.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Animal Kingdom is definitely more in need of a new land than DHS. I love DHS, my second favorite WDW park. DAK is my least favorite Disney parks world-wide, & I've been to Disney's California Adventure & Walt Disney Studios Paris!

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Animal Kingdom is definitely more in need of a new land than DHS. I love DHS, my second favorite WDW park. DAK is my least favorite Disney parks world-wide, & I've been to Disney's California Adventure & Walt Disney Studios Paris!
    AK is my 2nd favorite park, behind Epcot. The Studios in DLP is absolutely the worst Disney park. AK is amazingly well thought-out and designed. I don't think it NEEDS another land, but I do think it would greatly benefit from another one. Personally, I think MGM needs a complete overhaul.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

AK is my 2nd favorite park, behind Epcot. The Studios in DLP is absolutely the worst Disney park. AK is amazingly well thought-out and designed. I don't think it NEEDS another land, but I do think it would greatly benefit from another one. Personally, I think MGM needs a complete overhaul.
    I totally agree with nobodyhome. MGM now DHS, very confusing still, is in great need of an overhaul. Although I love the Sorcerer's Hat, I could never understand why they put it up blocking the theater???? Anyone have a clue??? Park always looks dirty for some reason, then again maybe it just is dirty...

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Before you cry foul, hear me out. The Animal Kingdom doesn't need to ignore insects now does it? Most Zoos have plenty of insect exibits and even "It's Tough to be A Bug" is one of the centerpiece attractions.
    I like your idea of a Bugs Land. But one thing I would say, is most zoos completely ignore bugs. There are only 2 or 3 exhibits solely dedicated to insects and few zoos have more than a few token tanks. In fact, the DAK movie does more for teaching the public about insects than virtually any zoo other Cincinnati or DC
    www.jamboeveryone.com

Blog Entries

I agree with you Denise. I don't know that DHS needs to build another land, they just totally need to rework almost everything that's there. The Hollywood side is ok, but everything else in the park needs major updates.

• The Darkness to Light

In my opinion, DAK needs a new area just to add to the variety of animals in the park. There were talks of an Austraila area, and I personally was hoping for that Mythical Animal area since the park opened. Both ideas, last I checked, have been scrapped or put on the back burners until the budgets for those projects are fesible.

As far as MGM/DHS goes, I don't know if you can add a new area without alienating groups of people. The Pixar addition mentioned earlier may rub people the wrong way in the same way that Pixar is seen as slowly invading DCA. (Though I'm from the pursasion of having Monsters in Epcot teaching about alternative energy sorces instead of doing what they do best over at DHS.) On top of that, there isn't much in the film history cannon that is broad enough and timeless enough to add into DHS without it getting stale. Introducing characters from current and up-coming movie projects is one thing, but even an attraction themed around, say, Wall-E may end up loosing its appeal even if the movie is considered a classic. The best example I can give of this is the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids play area. How many families go into that thing with kids that have actually seen the original film it is based off of?

So, yeah, I rather have Kangaroos and Gargoyles added than a new studio area.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I agree with you Denise. I don't know that DHS needs to build another land, they just totally need to rework almost everything that's there. The Hollywood side is ok, but everything else in the park needs major updates.
    I would not be unhappy if they bulldozed a lot of the Studios (still MGM to me). I like the Chinese theater/GMR, TOT, RNR. That is just about it. Well, and the Writers Stop.

AK is really a great park, the only area I'd personally like to see removed is in Dinoland (which I've mentioned already). I like Conservation Station, Camp Minnie-Mickey is okay, but there are some really amazing areas of the park. When the Jungle Trek first opened, I practically lived there for a year.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• We'll hold them at bay

I would not be unhappy if they bulldozed a lot of the Studios (still MGM to me). I like the Chinese theater/GMR, TOT, RNR. That is just about it. Well, and the Writers Stop.

AK is really a great park, the only area I'd personally like to see removed is in Dinoland (which I've mentioned already). I like Conservation Station, Camp Minnie-Mickey is okay, but there are some really amazing areas of the park. When the Jungle Trek first opened, I practically lived there for a year.

IMHO I would say
    1. You're a tad hard on MGM, The Muppet movie is great and I love Star Wars and Fantasmic. After that, I'm with you.

2. You're right about DAK. I would like to at least see one more animal trail.
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    2. You're right about DAK. I would like to at least see one more animal trail.
    The only way to get another animal trail is to add in Austraila or even the mythical creature hedge maze they scrapped for budget reasons. As it stands right now, what land there is in DAK doesn't have enough animals, real or fake, to warrent making a hiking trail.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• missing the DisneyGallery

I'm not sure that DHS needs new lands, they just need a something. Since DMGM opened in 1989 virtually all of the pavillions in Future World have been given a facelift, reimagined or removed. DAK opened and had a pretty major addition (Asia). MK has steadily added more, replaced and enhanced a few of its attractions and DMGM/DHS has been left with lackluster additions (Millionaire, Sounds Dangerous etc..) outside of Rockin Roller Coaster in the past 15 years.

I think the answer is hands down DHS. They need a Lucas Land, or Muppet Movie Ride, or another crack at a working studio.

Toy Story Mania couldn't come fast enough.

When attractions were original

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast