Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Peak Seasons View Post
    Denise I just tried to use Dial up at WDW and was still charged. There was no distinction between dial up and wireless. This was over Christmas. I will be there in 17 days, so I can update further.

Also Denise did you get my emails to you about the question I had posed? Let me know thanks
    Hi!

Dial-up - meaning over the phone line. Broadband isn't dial-up. Local phone calls are now free, so if you have - say, an AOL dial-up account, you can dial into that.

I have a stack of emails I'm going through (lots of requests and such lately), I am heading to WDW in a bit here but tomorrow I'll be getting to everything else. I'm sorry for the delay!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Partner Site

Thanks Denise. Basically I emailed you about seeing if you would be interested in being in the newsletter I produce. I have a Photo of the Week section and love your pictures you take. I wanted to see if you would like to sponsor that area and use one of your photos each week. Not for money, but more for Mousesteps visability. Email me for more details. thanks Denise.

• Banned User

Wow, I'm almost glad we're not staying on property. I'm spending 800 bucks for park tickets and another 350 for a hotel a couple miles away. If I had chosen the plan I first had to stay on site, it would have been about 1500 total, for just tickets and hotel. At that price I better have free internet.

Oh well, we're probably going to be getting mobile broadband anyways, since we travel so much for my daughters cheerleading, so I won't need their internet.

what great topic to address. A few years back on a trip to new york, my wife and I paid $10 a night for internet access on a room we were paying $300 a night for. OK...i guess one should really leave the laptop at home if they are on vacation, but many still need to do some work away from home, like was the case with us. We paid the $30 bucks, which on top of the $900 room rate did not seem to be that much. But during the last few trips we made to NY, internet access has been free in our rooms and we appreciated this. I'm sure if a disney property made the access home page a place for advertising, hours and information about the hotel and WDW itself, I would think the response would more than pay for the service. In short, I think it is time to offer free service for guests. Yea, they could work it into the cost of the room (along with all taxes and this and that shows up after one checks out), but is it really all that expensive to provide the service in the first place?

• Donalds younger brother

Contempory offers free internet on the in room computer. Its a start:0)

• Why can't you tune a fish

It all a matter of if enough guest raise a big enough stink about it. As was mentioned before, Disney does not need to add another perk to get people into rooms. They are doing that allready.

There are hotels out the that do charge. Nice hotels too. For example I just got back from Texas on Wed. I stayed at the DWF Embassy Suites. Thats a nice hotel. Suites that open onto the center artium with large natural rock fountain. Complementary hot cooked to order (eggs, pancakes, bacon, omlets, etc) breakfast every morning. And here is the key selling point for me, complimentary managers happy hour every afternoon (free beer/wine/margaritas and snacks) Very nice hotel overall. But it charges $10 a day for internet access.

Why, because it can. It draws enough with it's other perks that it does not have to give free internet access to fill the rooms. The other thing to consider is, most people who are traveling on business are able to voucher business costs, such as internet access. Most of the time you can't voucher things like drinks at the bar

Of course I am jaded as I have cellular broadband through work. So anywhere I get a cell signal I can get on line

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

I have my Verizon EVDO broadband-enabled cell phone "tethered" to my laptop via Bluetooth, so I can get hi-speed internet just about anywhere without the need for a WiFi hotspot.

But on my last trip to WDW, I thought I'd test out the dial-up in the room and used the free local calls to dial into AT&T, and got a fairly-decent-for-dial-up speed of 50.2k...which I find is plenty fast for checking emails and visiting the occasional website (and on-line airline check-in, etc). I would really only need broadband hi-speed if I were downloading or uploading huge files such as photos.

It's been pretty SOP in the hotel industry for years, that Resort locations and higher-end properties tend to charge extra for broadband (though sometimes rolling it into a communications bundle supplement or resort fee)...while lower-priced hotels tend to offer broadband for free. This may be counter to "common sense" for some, but in the hotel industry there's always been a bit of a "If you can afford to stay here...then you can afford to pay for more incidental services" business model at Resort and higher priced properties.

That is a generalization however, and there are exceptions, usually based on local competition and other free WiFi available in the area.

A good example of an exception to the rule, would be the Disneyland Resort in California. The Disney hotels there offer free broadband in the guestrooms. Mainly because they are in a much more competitive market and area, and also there are so many free signals in the area from other hotels, that you can often hitch-a-ride on one of them, right from your Disney hotel room.

But in Florida...Disney's got a captive market.

I'm sure the people that use internet heavily while at WDW...wish WiFi were included in their room price. But I bet those that don't use the internet much while at WDW...are glad it's an a la carte charge for those that use it only, and that it has not driven their room price up higher.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I have my Verizon EVDO broadband-enabled cell phone "tethered" to my laptop via Bluetooth, so I can get hi-speed internet just about anywhere without the need for a WiFi hotspot.
    huh?

This so goes over my head
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    How did you accomplish this? I have a Verizon phone with Bluetooth. Do you need to set up a special account with Verizon? If this gets too far into techno-babble, please feel free to PM me. Thanks.

In order to not violate your terms of service with Verizon, you have to sign up for the tethering plan. I'm sure lots of people get away without doing that, but I wouldn't want to get caught and risk hefty fines or total cancellation of my account.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    huh?

This so goes over my head
    His cell phone is EVDO - Evolution Data Only (or Optimized, depending on who you ask)

Its just the next level of cell phone "ability" if you will. It means he can get data on his cell phone and use it as a web browser.

What he is doing is using Bluetooth - which is a wireless protocall - most laptops have a bluetooth raido now, wireless headsets are bluetooth usualy, my palm pilot is bluetooth enabled, etc. - he is using bluetooth to connect his cell phone to his laptop, effectively turning his cell phone into a cell modem.

He connects to the internet that way.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    In order to not violate your terms of service with Verizon, you have to sign up for the tethering plan. I'm sure lots of people get away without doing that, but I wouldn't want to get caught and risk hefty fines or total cancellation of my account.

Yep.

And I am not going to mention what major telecomm company I happen to work for.

-dave

• MiceChat Partner Site

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    There are many people who take their computers for work-related purposes. I certainly have done that countless times. I also like to have it to keep up with general emails, it's a nice way to wind down.

It'd be like saying that there shouldn't be a TV in the room. I am not in the parks 24/7, so it's nice to have the entertainment.
    I can see how it's different from a teenager's standpoint and an adult's. When I last went to Disney, I didn't have a website, but now, I'd feel the need to still update it everyday despite me being on vacation. It's nice to have an escape though ... get away from the "real" world and lose yourself in the magic. Out of the three times I've been to Disney World, I've never used the TV. I've always been too excited planning what I was going to do that day and just enjoying being in Disney. But yet again, this is all coming from a young person who doesn't get to go to Disney all that often.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

• Mostly Harmless.

I put off this term in school because I don't want to pay extra for net service while I am on vacation....
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    His cell phone is EVDO - Evolution Data Only (or Optimized, depending on who you ask)

Its just the next level of cell phone "ability" if you will. It means he can get data on his cell phone and use it as a web browser.

What he is doing is using Bluetooth - which is a wireless protocall - most laptops have a bluetooth raido now, wireless headsets are bluetooth usualy, my palm pilot is bluetooth enabled, etc. - he is using bluetooth to connect his cell phone to his laptop, effectively turning his cell phone into a cell modem.

He connects to the internet that way.

-dave
    oh. see, I thought he had some sort of weird tropical disease.
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast