Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Partner Site
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    73

    Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    This is my blog this week on my website. I would like to know your thoughts about this as well.

    Also subscribers to my weekly newsletter will be entered into a special contest in the next month or so, so make sure you head over to www.wdwpeakseasons.com and sign up. Details to follow in the upcoming weeks.

    Should Disney offer Free Internet service for their resort guests?

    Many guests to Walt Disney World take their laptops on vacation with them to stay in contact with the rest of the world. They may need it for business, information, or just for leisure. Regardless, Disney does not offer free Internet service to its guests who stay on property. In today’s world, most hotels offer this convenience free of charge as a perk to stay at their hotel.

    I have read hundreds of posts on message boards of guests who return from a trip to Walt Disney World and complain that they had to pay for Internet service. Disney offers guests two options, $4.99 for one hour, or $9.99 for 24 continuous hours of service. Opinions vary on whether this is appropriate or not. Some say this is fine, as they do not need access every day, and are willing to spend the money every couple of days. Some feel like if they have spent thousands of dollars for a vacation, then what is a bit more money. Others feel like if they have spent a good chunk of money for a vacation to Walt Disney World, then the least Disney could do is to offer this service free of charge to them.

    Disney does not have to offer this service as a complimentary feature because most of its resorts are full throughout the year. Other hotel chains use this option as a perk that may get people to stay at their hotel instead. Disney has recently begun the implementation of giving free Internet service to its guests who are Disney Vacation Club members. This is a good start considering DVC members have paid thousands of dollars on Disney and are set to vacation there for the next 50 years.

    Where do I stand on this issue? I believe that with technology being such a part of most peoples lives, Disney could relax its current policy and offer free service to those who are staying at their resorts. Disney has plenty of other avenues to generate money, by raising ticket prices, merchandise, and food options etc…. Disney already offers guests so many perks by staying on property, but with the infusion of Vacation Homes, and other high quality resorts in the Orlando area seeking to get guests to their properties, Disney would be wise to eat this cost and give one more complimentary service to its guests.

  2. #2

    • making magic is fun!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    316

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Funny someone posted this same thread on another board.
    I do think they should. Many places do and I sure that people say the price is tied in with the room but with what WDW charges for a deluxe/convention resort they should offer it.
    Kelly

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Approved Travel Partner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    411

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Peak Seasons View Post
    This is my blog this week on my website. I would like to know your thoughts about this as well.

    Also subscribers to my weekly newsletter will be entered into a special contest in the next month or so, so make sure you head over to www.wdwpeakseasons.com and sign up. Details to follow in the upcoming weeks.

    Should Disney offer Free Internet service for their resort guests?

    Many guests to Walt Disney World take their laptops on vacation with them to stay in contact with the rest of the world. They may need it for business, information, or just for leisure. Regardless, Disney does not offer free Internet service to its guests who stay on property. In today’s world, most hotels offer this convenience free of charge as a perk to stay at their hotel.

    I have read hundreds of posts on message boards of guests who return from a trip to Walt Disney World and complain that they had to pay for Internet service. Disney offers guests two options, $4.99 for one hour, or $9.99 for 24 continuous hours of service. Opinions vary on whether this is appropriate or not. Some say this is fine, as they do not need access every day, and are willing to spend the money every couple of days. Some feel like if they have spent thousands of dollars for a vacation, then what is a bit more money. Others feel like if they have spent a good chunk of money for a vacation to Walt Disney World, then the least Disney could do is to offer this service free of charge to them.

    Disney does not have to offer this service as a complimentary feature because most of its resorts are full throughout the year. Other hotel chains use this option as a perk that may get people to stay at their hotel instead. Disney has recently begun the implementation of giving free Internet service to its guests who are Disney Vacation Club members. This is a good start considering DVC members have paid thousands of dollars on Disney and are set to vacation there for the next 50 years.

    Where do I stand on this issue? I believe that with technology being such a part of most peoples lives, Disney could relax its current policy and offer free service to those who are staying at their resorts. Disney has plenty of other avenues to generate money, by raising ticket prices, merchandise, and food options etc…. Disney already offers guests so many perks by staying on property, but with the infusion of Vacation Homes, and other high quality resorts in the Orlando area seeking to get guests to their properties, Disney would be wise to eat this cost and give one more complimentary service to its guests.
    Wow, what a concept. Disney offering something for free. I worked for Disney for 10 years. Let me tell you a little tid bit. At Walmart you pay 50 cents for a can of coke. At the Disney Reservation Center, we paid 75 cents for a can of coke. Disney get coke for FREE......

  4. #4

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    While I wish Disney wasn't charging for internet access, it is an incredible revenue generator for them. Doing a little off the cuff math, there are 40,000 rooms on property. Let's say that half of them will have a computer in them, and that on average they log in every other day. Even at $4.99 an hour, that's almost $50,000 a day. That's a serious chunk of change for them to give up, and there's really no need for them to. They have a captive audience, whereas the average freeway hotel has to advertise free internet access as an incentive. I know when I'm driving, it's one of the main deciders for where I'll stay the night. But I'll be spending money on a Disney room regardless of whether access is free or not. It's sad that it's not free, but I really don't blame Disney for the practice.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    The on-property rate for internet is $9.99 for a 24-hour period. This really adds up if you use it every day for a 10 day vacation.

    edit: I've never seen the hourly charge. Is this offered with the regular $9.99 one or only in certain resorts? Or, am I blind?

    Disney offers Magical Express for "free". They also offer on-property transportation "free". So, I'm not quite sure why they don't just build internet into the price of the room. Not everyone uses Magical Express or the buses/monorails, and not everyone will use the internet. In the end, it would all average out.
    -Tim

  6. #6

    • MiceChat Approved Travel Partner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    411

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    The on-property rate for internet is $9.99 for a 24-hour period. This really adds up if you use it every day for a 10 day vacation.

    edit: I've never seen the hourly charge. Is this offered with the regular $9.99 one or only in certain resorts? Or, am I blind?

    Disney offers Magical Express for "free". They also offer on-property transportation "free". So, I'm not quite sure why they don't just build internet into the price of the room. Not everyone uses Magical Express or the buses/monorails, and not everyone will use the internet. In the end, it would all average out.
    Believe me, Magical Express is not free. It is built into the price so everyone is really paying for it whether they use it or not. Disney gives nothing for "free." They are losing nothing on Magical Express.
    Last edited by Lindsy1052; 03-01-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Typo

  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Independence, Mo
    Posts
    34

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    I wish they offered this free. It seems crazy that we get free internet at the HoJo and yet, when I'm spending $1,ooo on a trip, I have to pay 9.99 a day for internet. But, oh well, it's not ike I'm going to stop going to Disney.

  8. #8

    •   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific NorthWest
    Posts
    2,486

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    I absolutely think they should. Wireless would be nice.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

  9. #9

    • Little Miss Sunshine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    You can go on dial-up for free.

    I do think eventually, the broadband or wireless will be included. Just like trundle beds, the small refrigerator at the mods/deluxes, etc.
    Denise

    www.mousesteps.com




    Favorite TDL Typo:

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    479

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    Believe me, Magical Express is not free. It is built into the price so everyone is really paying for it whether they use it or not. Disney gives nothing for "free." They are losing nothing on Magical Express.
    I fully realize that, hence the quotes around free. That's why I think they should just build it into the price of the room like Magical Express and Disney Transport. People won't notice, but will love the "free" internet.
    -Tim

  11. #11

    • MiceChat Approved Travel Partner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    411

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I fully realize that, hence the quotes around free. That's why I think they should just build it into the price of the room like Magical Express and Disney Transport. People won't notice, but will love the "free" internet.
    I was going to follow my post with a second one when I saw your quotation marks. I realized it too late, sorry. "FREE" is not a word in the Disney vocabulary, but I agree if it was built into the price like everything else, it would be more palatible. It's like going to Friendly's for ice cream and they charge you 10 cents for nuts, 10 cents for whipped cream, just put it in the price and I'll tell you if I don't want it. It just sounds so cheap on their part to do it that way, it's not the 10 cents.

  12. #12

    • MiceChat Partner Site
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    184

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    I think that is a service that could easily be complimentary, and now adays, most people expect that. Personally, I'd be having to much fun at Disney to want to waste any time at all on the computer. A vacation should be spent enjoying yourself away from the computer, where we spend a good amount of time everyday.

    Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

  13. #13

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyreporter View Post
    Personally, I'd be having to much fun at Disney to want to waste any time at all on the computer.
    It's not like I'd go on a surfing spree while at WDW. But many business people (myself included) really need to keep somewhat in touch during their vacations. Gone are the days when I can simply drop everything for a week at a time. I still need to keep on top of many situations, and email is the best way to do that.

  14. #14

    • Little Miss Sunshine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyreporter View Post
    I think that is a service that could easily be complimentary, and now adays, most people expect that. Personally, I'd be having to much fun at Disney to want to waste any time at all on the computer. A vacation should be spent enjoying yourself away from the computer, where we spend a good amount of time everyday.
    There are many people who take their computers for work-related purposes. I certainly have done that countless times. I also like to have it to keep up with general emails, it's a nice way to wind down.

    It'd be like saying that there shouldn't be a TV in the room. I am not in the parks 24/7, so it's nice to have the entertainment.
    Denise

    www.mousesteps.com




    Favorite TDL Typo:

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

  15. #15

    • May the F=ma be with you
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hobroken
    Posts
    2,606

    Re: Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

    Should there be free internet service?

    Absolutely not. You must realize that the price will be raised somewhere else. It happens all the time in every business.



    Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Report: Disney to Offer Mobile Phone Service in Japan
    By disneytim in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 12:54 PM
  2. How come Disney doesn't offer Tram service to its hotels?
    By Darkbeer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 12:11 PM
  3. Order FREE Customized Walt Disney World Resort Maps... FOR FREE!!!
    By Micoofy Duck in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 06:09 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 11:04 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 03:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •