• I was deleted.

Question ESPN, the weekend?

Disney's Hollywood Studios once again hosted ESPN - The Weekend. Various activities, broadcasts, and sports players (former and current) can be found around property. Besides personal stories of sports players in the parks, I haven't heard much about this year's ESPN Weekend and how guests are responding to it.

I KNOW SuperSoap weekend is always a HUGE success and Star Wars is quite popular as well, but this one is still building and growing. I think this one has potential to reach across to different guests and show another outlet of the Disney Company. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this weekend event can be improved or expanded upon?
    Last edited by BigPigletFan; 03-01-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Re: ESPN, the weekend?

well i've never been to espn the weekend, but honestly i think it needs to be expanded to be espen the week. on espn channels, most of the weekend (especially this time of year) is devoted to airing sporting events and the occasional sportscenter. unless your team is playing, chances are you will only be tuning in once on saturday and once on sunday to see sportscenter each night and catch up on the highlights from the day. thats not enough time in front of the tube for disney to advertise for espn the weekend and to show off the parks and the events going on there.

on weekdays, howevever, you have the occasional sporting event, many more sportscenters, and original programming such as nfl live, pti, around the horn, jim rome is burning, etc. each of these shows presents a unique way for disney to be able to showcase the event and the parks. it gives the event more exposure than just the occasional commercial spot on espn in the months leading up to it. the week long exposure, IMO, would be enough to get espn-viewers attention and have them seriously consider booking a trip next year for the event.

after all, the pro bowl is held each february in hawaii and has events going on for the entire week, not just the game on sunday. this is done because the nfl knows people are looking to get away to nice weather this time of year and a week-long vacation sounds so much more appealing to a person than a short weekend does.

of course thats just my opinion...i could be wrong
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

This thread reminded me that I was there last year at this time. Stumbled upon the ESPN weekend thing. It was pretty cool, but not as cool as the old man who was furious that two guys were holding hands.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
    well i've never been to espn the weekend, but honestly i think it needs to be expanded to be espen the week. on espn channels, most of the weekend (especially this time of year) is devoted to airing sporting events and the occasional sportscenter. unless your team is playing, chances are you will only be tuning in once on saturday and once on sunday to see sportscenter each night and catch up on the highlights from the day. thats not enough time in front of the tube for disney to advertise for espn the weekend and to show off the parks and the events going on there.

on weekdays, howevever, you have the occasional sporting event, many more sportscenters, and original programming such as nfl live, pti, around the horn, jim rome is burning, etc. each of these shows presents a unique way for disney to be able to showcase the event and the parks. it gives the event more exposure than just the occasional commercial spot on espn in the months leading up to it. the week long exposure, IMO, would be enough to get espn-viewers attention and have them seriously consider booking a trip next year for the event.

after all, the pro bowl is held each february in hawaii and has events going on for the entire week, not just the game on sunday. this is done because the nfl knows people are looking to get away to nice weather this time of year and a week-long vacation sounds so much more appealing to a person than a short weekend does.

of course thats just my opinion...i could be wrong
    No I agree why it could be expanded or at least marketed more. The Soaps have their run and fan base - plus it's been going for over 10 years so that helps as well. Star Wars fans flock like Disney fans do the NNFC or Disneyana conventions.

A friend of mine was there a few times this weekend and he said that all of the ESPN fans tended to stick in the front of the park. He said only a few made it past Star Tours. So if you weren't there for that I guess it help make for easier navigation and park exploration?

The only downside to making it a full week would be fully staffing it and the costs associate with it. Then the other weekends would want to expand as well and for anyone who has experienced a Super Soap weekend, that's asking for a large event to get even larger. I'm not saying it will never happen or doesn't have potential to do some good for the parks... but right now I think the weekends fit. They just need to improve the marketing of them and their "offerings."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I was actually at the park on Sunday. It really seemed like the only big thing actually related to ESPN was the filming taking place in front of BAH. Star Wars Weekends has a big merchandise component, ESPN the Weekend had some shirts and hats. Sports memorabilia would probably be a nice sell. I also did not notice any dedicated autograph sessions with any of the athletes. All in all it seemed like a bunch of over hyper for some television taping.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Disney's Hollywood Studios once again hosted ESPN - The Weekend. Various activities, broadcasts, and sports players (former and current) can be found around property. Besides personal stories of sports players in the parks, I haven't heard much about this year's ESPN Weekend and how guests are responding to it.

I KNOW SuperSoap weekend is always a HUGE success and Star Wars is quite popular as well, but this one is still building and growing. I think this one has potential to reach across to different guests and show another outlet of the Disney Company. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this weekend event can be improved or expanded upon?
    Yeah ... have Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Paul Lo Duca, Andy Petite and Co. show up and answer questions about their own personal pixie dust that helped them cheat ... 'roids!!!!

That would be magical!