Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• my two sunshines

It's official - and I need some help from the WDW Florida crew!

We are moving to Orlando (or city around) my oldest daughter who moved back east is moving with her boyfriend down to Orlando for school - so geez gotta force myself (LOL) to move to sunny Florida so that they aren't over extended and they can live with us and save money,e tc.

I of course would get a part time job at WDW (any of the parks) because I just can (my business is relocatable)

I need to know what cities are good to look at to move to and where do I need to stay away from (from what I hear the southern part of Orlando is not good?) I don't know so I need those who live in the area to help

What would my utlities look like - I"m looking ro rent a 3-4 bdrm house and kids want a pool (geez gotta force me huh? LOL)

I've found many houses I could afford in various areas (school is in Winter Park if that helps)

Any help would be really appreciated - thanks so much and I look forward to meeting everyone at the REALLY big Disney park!

•   

Re: It's official - and I need some help from the WDW Florida crew!

I know there will be lots of opinions on this, but.... stay away from the Pine Hills area and the area within a few blocks of Orange Blossom Trail south of Colonial Drive and north of Sand Lake Road. Those are the two areas with the highest crime. Winter Park is a fantastic area. Lake Mary is also extremely nice, but it's on the north end of the Orlando area so it's a drive to Disney. If I was planning on buying a house I would choose Windermere (if your budget allows) or the Dr. Phillips area. It's safe, there are good schools and it's close to Disney. Metro West is also nice, but it is surrounded by high crime areas, so some of it sometimes spills over.

• my two sunshines

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    I know there will be lots of opinions on this, but.... stay away from the Pine Hills area and the area within a few blocks of Orange Blossom Trail south of Colonial Drive and north of Sand Lake Road. Those are the two areas with the highest crime. Winter Park is a fantastic area. Lake Mary is also extremely nice, but it's on the north end of the Orlando area so it's a drive to Disney. If I was planning on buying a house I would choose Windermere (if your budget allows) or the Dr. Phillips area. It's safe, there are good schools and it's close to Disney. Metro West is also nice, but it is surrounded by high crime areas, so some of it sometimes spills over.
    Thanks for the info - I have found a few houses in Windermere and Dr. Phillips that I like - I'd like to find a house with a MIL suite - this way my 19 yr old daughter and her boyfriend (and I say that with a cringe) can have her own front door since they really have to have their own lives (and I only say this is that they are sooooooooooo young but I'm trying not to be such a fuddy duddy)

I'm not sure about high schools yet, if I need one - my younger daughter might be graduating (if her grades are passing) if not she wants to stay behind a year and graduate proper - if thats the case then we will need a good high school

From the crime rate in some areas, I see working with the police department is a job she will be able to get (which she is talking about being a cop right now) Whatever makes her happy

Orlando doesn't get hit by hurricanes as much do they? AND how far to the beach from these areas? about 30 min or so???

AND I just found out a few minutes ago, that the boyfriend has NEVER been to a Disney park - oh goodness me, I hope he survives Disney with us! LOL

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

First let me say, "Welcome to Florida!"

Will be nice to have some more locals around here!

Regarding where to live, I did some research and took some drives when we were considering moving closer.

Lake Mary and Windermere were at the top of our lists and we found some really nice places in both, within our budget range.

If your into the Stepford wives scene there is always Celebration. LOL

There was a great website I used when determining exactly what we were looking for that might help you.

www.bestplaces.net

•   

Depending on where you are in Orlando, the beach is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or so. It completely depends on where you are and what beach you want so I can't be more specific than that.

A few years ago Orlando was hit by three hurricanes within 4 or 5 weeks. Normally Orlando can go years without worrying about a hurricane, and even when they do come they are usually weak. Tropical Storms are more common than hurricanes and they do minimal damage. Just so you know, Winter Park is an area with a LOT of trees, so they don't usually do as well as the more recently developed areas do in windy weather. However, Winter Park is one of the most beautiful areas in Central Florida, so most people who live there find it worth the very minimal risk.

• my two sunshines

My daughter and boyfriend are driving down next week (they are in MD right now) so it's only a 12 hour drive (the same as I drive from ABQ to Southern CAL) She's supposed to check around (they are there for a few days) and report back to me - when they move there at the end of July, I'll be sending her places to go and most likely on Sundays they will go and check out the houses - let me know about the area, if they like the house, etc.

The house I'm in now, I lucked out, it was the first place I found, it worked out and I reserved it with my deposit 2 months before we moved - that way I had all utilities set up for the day of move in and the movers knew where to take the stuff

Tho this time I might rent a huge truck and put my car on one of those wheelie things in the back -not sure yet

I found a place in Waterford Lakes/Estates - 4 bdrm with a pool - I've corresponded with the owners - not sure if Waterford is the neighborhood or city?

•   

Waterford is a neighborhood.

The east side of Orlando has INSANE traffic. Some might argue all of Orlando is bad, but I don't agree with that. I do agree that the east side is bad.

• my two sunshines

This is all good - insane traffic - okay I need to monitor traffic and news reports

When you say 'insane' are we talking Orange County, CA insane traffic?

I'm guessing that farmers markets are good here, garage sales/estate sales are good, flea markets and such - I do know that there are some great kosher deli's in Orlando, I did my search on that! LOL

• She was sweet as a peach

Just so you know, Winter Park is an area with a LOT of trees, so they don't usually do as well as the more recently developed areas do in windy weather.
    Actually, I found the opposite to be true. Our neighborhood has a lot of trees and very few houses lost shingles. However I saw a lot of the newer developements (with few or no trees) missing the shingles.

okay I need to monitor traffic and news reports
    It will more like "There is a slow down on I-4 from ________ to ________, it will take you _______ more minutes. Or There is an accident on __________ road, you might want to adjust for more time.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

WOW I wish my parents would move to Orlando with me (Well, in a separate house though LOL) Hope you can find what you're looking for!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• my two sunshines

LOL I'm not moving to Orlando with her, it's for her - heck it's for Disney - geez we might as well get that out right away - well partly - I'm from So. Cal and it's just toooo expensive for the house I need for the four of us - IF by chance something falls into my lap in So. Cal then I would take it only if it's what I need - but so far Orlando is much more affordable and I can get more house for my bucks

And I've never been to WDW -never ever - Disneyland on steroids! LOL

For my business and for what kind of job I want I can get I just think Orlando would be better - even tho it's farther, much farther than family - but my daughter does need me so I go where I'm needed, right????

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

If you are going to be spending a lot of time in the parks, and you want to get a part time job Dr. Phillips / Windemere are great choices! I live in Metrowest, and it takes me 15 mins to get to work everyday (I work 1 mile from Pleasure Island at the greatest ticket company on EARTH).

For me it was important to have a straight shot to all of the Parks, Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld. Along with Downtown and shopping... So Metrowest is kind of the best place for a guy like me!

But as far as families go, and the ability to have a quite and low crime area Dr. Phillips is a smart choice!

But welcome to Florida! And you will have to stop by Orlando Fun Tickets and say hi!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Trac,

If you need me to pick up anything for you (rent books; house magazines etcc..) let me know! I'll be happy to do that for you.

Good luck with your house hunting! Can't wait to meet you!

• Attn. Space Travelers....

i would recommend Windermere. Its very close to Disney, good utilities, rent should be good since its not right in a super high-demand area, little to no crime, and your still a few minutes drive from winter garden which has all of your restaurants, movie theatres, entertainment, shopping, pharmacies, etc...

im moving there myself soon....right behind Westclock (MK back cast parking area)...i can drive to work in 2 minutes!! wooooooo!!!
    Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
    Actually, I found the opposite to be true. Our neighborhood has a lot of trees and very few houses lost shingles. However I saw a lot of the newer developements (with few or no trees) missing the shingles.
    I was actually thinking of trees falling on houses when I wrote that. I agree with you that many houses in areas with few trees lost lots of shingles. After Charley I was still traveling frequently and as I would fly into Orlando I could see a sea of blue tarps from damaged roofs (meaning trees were not hiding anything).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast