Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Discovery River Boats at Ak

I have a vague memory from the park's opening of the dino currently out in front of Dinosaur being stationed in the water where he was passed by guests in the boats and possibly visible from the bridge.

Can anyone confirm this?

Pictures? *hugs*

also, is the old dragon-in-the-cave still running?

• We'll hold them at bay

Re: Discovery River Boats at Ak

I doubt they waste time running the dragon since the river tour is no longer used. I do see the boats being used for characters to travel around in waving to the folks walking along the path.

There was a rumor that they were going to resurrect the river tour as a character breakfast.
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

They should just bring the boats back as boats. I loved them.

edit: I'm pretty sure the dinosaur in front of CTX (Dinosaur) has always been there. I know they added the shrubs around the pool of water to keep people out of the water, but I think that was the only change.
    -Tim

• Pixiedust?

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    There was a rumor that they were going to resurrect the river tour as a character breakfast.
    Resurrecting the river tour as a character breakfast would be about the sweetest thing.. ever, but I doubt Disney would splurge on something like that

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

• Sock Puppet

Adding the river boats would be great, not so much as an attraction but as a form of transportation to transport people from different parts of the park. Magic Kingdom has the train, Epcot has the Friendship boats, the Studios is small so its walkable, but a park of AK's size needs some form of transportation. I think they discontinued it because it was been looked at as an attraction, when there really wasnt much to see or do on the boats..so they tried things like putting characters on it and such but they ended up closing it.

How did the river boats at DAK look/feel/seem like more of an attraction than any of the other modes of transport that you mentioned? Even if they did, I still don't see the need to discontinue them. Should they discontinue the monorail or Friendship boats because they seem like an attraction?

I think there was some other reason why they're no longer in existence. I actually heard not enough people used them because the docks were somewhat hidden and people didn't know how to get on them. But again, that's just hearsay.
    -Tim

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'd get rid of all but one dock and turn the River Cruise into a Jungle Cruise sort of attraction. With a little bit of a story line or several show scenes, it could be a really fun attraction.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    How did the river boats at DAK look/feel/seem like more of an attraction than any of the other modes of transport that you mentioned? Even if they did, I still don't see the need to discontinue them. Should they discontinue the monorail or Friendship boats because they seem like an attraction?

I think there was some other reason why they're no longer in existence. I actually heard not enough people used them because the docks were somewhat hidden and people didn't know how to get on them. But again, that's just hearsay.
    Because the "Discovery River Boats" were listed as one of the park's attractions. Friendship Boats and the monorail are not listed as attractions. The river boats were not a form of transporation because all rides departed and landed at the same dock. People knew the docks were there, and lines were long. The problem was that slow loading resulted in long lines, and there really wasnt much do see or do on the long boat ride. Sure, it provided a few interesting scenes such as the gysers and the dragon, but for the most part there wasnt much to look at. At points there was so little to see or do that they had to pass around a caged small animal (like a snake or spider) on board the boats so guests could see. They eventually ended up trying to save the ride by adding a Radio Disney tie-in until closing it for good.

Anyways, check out a video of it here and here. Not sure if you can see it in the video, but there was a dinosaur near Dinoland USA and a dragon scene, although I dont remember much of it. If they do revive the river boats, I hope its meant as transportation, not an attraction. It would save people a lot of walking if they can take the boats from an opposite end of the park to someplace near the entrance, possibly still passing by the few interesting scenes on the ride such as the dragon, gysers, dinosaur.
    Last edited by WDWizard; 03-19-2008 at 06:38 PM.

• Banned User

My favorite moment of that ride was seeing the Dinosaur from Countdown wadding in the water near the bridge to Dinoland. Those were the little things that made DAK special, and as such.. they never seem to last at WDW.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by LilRah08 View Post
    Resurrecting the river tour as a character breakfast would be about the sweetest thing.. ever, but I doubt Disney would splurge on something like that
    Considering doing that would be a lot cheaper than say, an e-ticket, I would think Disney would consider it
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• We'll hold them at bay

edit: I'm pretty sure the dinosaur in front of CTX (Dinosaur) has always been there. I know they added the shrubs around the pool of water to keep people out of the water, but I think that was the only change.
    As far as I recall (Oct 1998), it was there
    www.jamboeveryone.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    As far as I recall (Oct 1998), it was there
    Actually NO. It has not been there all of the time. The dino in the water fountain in front of the ride was placed there when the ride's name was changed from "Countdown to Extintion" to the current and bland "Dinosaur" to cross promote that awful film. Personally I think the dino looks ok where it is but the ride's name should be changed to it's original name, or something not as lame.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Actually NO. It has not been there all of the time. The dino in the water fountain in front of the ride was placed there when the ride's name was changed from "Countdown to Extintion" to the current and bland "Dinosaur" to cross promote that awful film. Personally I think the dino looks ok where it is but the ride's name should be changed to it's original name, or something not as lame.
    the memory goes when you get old. what was there in 98 when it was Countdown? (The much better name)
    www.jamboeveryone.com

It must've just been a flat pool of water without those really tall shrubs around it then. I swear the dino was there, but that was 10 years ago. ha ha!
    -Tim

• Banned User

It must've just been a flat pool of water without those really tall shrubs around it then. I swear the dino was there, but that was 10 years ago. ha ha!
    That's exactly what it was. Just a flat pool of water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast