Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: WDW vs. DLR

• Banned User

Cool WDW vs. DLR

The purpose of this thread is to ask Micechat fanatics which version of various rides they prefer -- Disneyland/DCA's or Walt Disney World's? You can compare any rides you want. To get things started, I feel that the Haunted Mansion at WDW is better, especially after the recent refurbishment. The exterior of the Mansion is also much creepier than its Disneyland counterpart. POTC is better at Disneyland, because it is longer -- more scenes, more drops.
    Anyone else want to weigh in on this earth shattering topic?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: WDW vs. DLR

Ok I'll play.

Disneyland Wins
    Jungle Cruise
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Enchanted Tiki Room
    Space Mountain
    Autopia
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Toy Story Midway Mania (I already know just from the exterior alone)
    Fantasmic!
    Toon Town

Walt Disney World Wins
    Haunted Mansion (though I prefer the exterior of Disneyland)
    Splash Mountain (though I prefer riding single file logs at Disneyland)
    It's a Small World (after they butcher the one at Disneyland that is)
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Astro Orbitor
    Tower of Terror

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I've heard Snow White's better at WDW too.

• future rockstar/imagineer

one ride that i think is a lot better at WDW is ToT....i think the queue and the entire ride are better, an at WDW, you never know when the drops are going to happen!

• Circle of Ancients

Ooooh ... Fun ...

Haunted Mansion: MK
    Pirates: DL
    Splash Mountain: MK (and it's not even close)
    Big Thunder: Tie
    Space Mountain: DL (but only VERY slightly. Disneylands is in need of a refurb ... BAD)
    Buzz: DL (But if MK had the targets and guns that DL has, it would win)
    Jungle Cruise: DL
    Tiki Room: DL (Not even close)
    Nemo: EPCOT
    Peter Pan: DL
    Pooh: MK
    Snow White: MK
    Small World: DL
    Train: DL
    Castle: MK
    Tower of Terror: WDS
    Treehouse: MK

So for ones I can think of, Disneyland Resort wins 8, WDW wins 8 with one tie.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I like Disneyland better than the magic kingdom hands down.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Seasick

Space Mountain - DL
    I like the drops at WDW, but the on-board soundtrack and atmosphere make DL the better choice

Pirates - DL
    Not even close. Nice queue at WDW though

Peter Pan - DL
    I found the flying over London scene to be very weak at WDW. Points to WDW for having fastass - if I could add it to any ride at DL this would probably be it

Pooh - DL
    In a battle of mediocrity, I found the DL version slightly better. Bonus points for replacing an attraction I didn't like all that much anyway. Gutting Toad in WDW? Abominable

People Mover - WDW
    Does this count, lol? WDW still has the attraction, DL has a decaying empty track (another abomination)

Tower of Terror - WDW
    The added show scene at WDW is nice, but a minor addition. WDW wins this one hands down for the random drop sequences

Indiana Jones Adventure - DL
    They don't even have this at WDW you say? Well, I'm comparing it to Dinosaur because I can With the same ride system and layout, this makes one realize just how important the show scenes and atmosphere are to a ride. You'd think the two would be comparable experiences, but Dinosaur is dreary and unexciting

Buzz Lightyear - DL
    I vastly prefer the guns on the DL version, which aren't bolted to the ride vehicle

Haunted Mansion - TIE
    I didn't notice any major differences

Splash Mountain - WDW
    Bigger logs, higher capacity, and just an overall benefit from coming later

Star Tours - WDW
    Same ride, nicer queue at the world

Tiki Room - DL
    I didn't find the WDW additions as appalling as many do, but I still prefer the original

Astro Orbitor - WDW
    This ride should be elevated, period

Fantasmic! - DL
    You'd think WDW would be the better version, with stadium seating and an arena designed for the show, but it's not. The lack of the Columbia is a huge downside, and the overall show lacks the magic of the original. I think it's just cooler to have this amazing show appear in the middle of the park

Monorail - WDW
    Utilized purely as a ride, I prefer the trip through DL. But, in WDW the Monorail has more value as transportation, and makes the approach to the Magic Kingdom far more magical

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Ooooh ... Fun ...

Haunted Mansion: MK
    Pirates: DL
    Splash Mountain: MK (and it's not even close)
    Big Thunder: Tie
    Space Mountain: DL (but only VERY slightly. Disneylands is in need of a refurb ... BAD)
    Buzz: DL (But if MK had the targets and guns that DL has, it would win)
    Jungle Cruise: DL
    Tiki Room: DL (Not even close)
    Nemo: EPCOT
    Peter Pan: DL
    Pooh: MK
    Snow White: MK
    Small World: DL
    Train: DL
    Castle: MK
    Tower of Terror: WDS
    Treehouse: MK

So for ones I can think of, Disneyland Resort wins 8, WDW wins 8 with one tie.
    Nemo at DL and Nemo at EPCOT are two entirely different rides. They just happen to both be about Nemo, but one is a sub and the other is an omnimover. If the profections or story telling is better at EPCOT's version that's fair enough. But the two rides themselves are totally different and should not be considered the same ride.

Castles -- I know we love to debate which has the better castle but imho each castle is perfect for the park it is in. SBC would be too small in MK and CC would be way too large and perhaps a bit gaudy in DL.
    The train. Its been a long time since I've been to WDW. I am curious as to why DL's train is considered to be better.

• Banned User

There is nothing at WDW that I consider better than what's at DL. Many think TOT is better in Orlando, but I honestly do not prefer it over DCA's so to me, they are equal. I also disagree about Snow White's ride. At WDW, the storyline is more cohesive, but in the technical aspects, the DL version is much much better..from the queue to the moment you leave the ride. THAT type of theming and wizardry is what turns me on about Disney and sadly, WDW (in all it's grandiosity) do not deliver the same size of thrills and treats DLR does. In fact, the only thing that makes WDW worth visiting is what's there that is unique.. like DAK or EPCOT. Besides that? M'eh!

• future rockstar/imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    I like Disneyland better than the magic kingdom hands down.
    i definitely agree with this!

I can't say there's any attraction at the MK that I'd say is much better than DL.

I have always found WDW's BTMRR to be superior, but not hugely so. Now, I would also say MK's Mansion is superior, but again not greatly so. Same with Pooh.

OTOH, almost everything else at DL would be superior to MK counterparts.

Since ToT was brought up, I will say the FLA version is much superior to DCA's IMHO ... from the totally immersive theming to the setup, to the queue to the fifth dimension to the drop sequence, WDW's is better by a considerable margin.

But I'd be very hard-pressed to say that about any other attraction the two resorts share.

After thinking about it, I like four comparative attractions better at WDW than at DL.

1. Splash Mountain - The logs are more comfortable, but I appreciate the pace most at WDW. I was surprised how fast DL's went, it made it hard to take in the show scenes and even catch my breath after the drops. WDW's is slower and the story benefits from that.

2. Winnie the Pooh - For some reason, I think Pooh really does fit in WDW. The kids (and parents) seem to like it, and the slight movements of the cars are actually pretty neat. Toad was wonderful at DL, but I think that Pooh fits in a little better in Florida.

3. Astro Orbiter - Common argument, up on pedestal, enough said.

4. (Dont kill me!) It's a Small World - Okay, I know, the original is the best, blah blah blah. I disagree. I think the flooded aspect makes the ride more about what's being shown, and less about how it's being shown. When I rode IASM in 2004 and 2008, all I could think about was (in some places) sloppy execution. There were extension cords, lamps, tape, and other items all over the place, which, while I understand the necessity, makes for a distracting presentation. The exterior at DL is still the very best, however I do think the integration of the scheme in Florida's interior boarding area was very classy, but I have to give kudos to Florida for the flooded approach. Please don't kill me!

The other attraction I have a feeling will make the move from DL to WDW in my book is the Haunted Mansion. While I haven't personally rode the newly refurbed WDW version, I have seen stills and video of it, which I have to say look amazing. In this case, I don't think the argument of the original is best holds any water, as the sets, narrations, and props for both versions were basically made simultaneously, one just happened to open a slight bit sooner. As of right now, I rate them a tie, but once I get on WDW's again, I'm sure it will take the lead.

There are plenty of attractions that I rate a tie or impartial: Star Tours, Soarin, HISTA, etc. but definitely, for the most part, Disneyland's attractions are better than Walt Disney World's.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

Thanks for the input so far, guys. I am glad that most people agree with me about the Haunted Mansion. I was dazzled by the refurbished Mansion at WDW on my last trip, particularly the graveyard scene, which is one of the most richly detailed scenes in any dark ride.
    As for comparing rides like Indy vs. Dinosaur, or Nemo and the Seas vs. Submarine...that is stretching the idea of this thread, but that's o.k. This is your thread, guys, I only got it started. By the way, I was a bit shocked that BC_Disney Geek can find Dinosaur "dreary and unexciting". That is one of my favorite Disney rides, with maybe the best animatronics ever. I found it very exciting and scary (lots of pictures taken by the ride cameras show me flinching away from roaring dinos) and I couldn't get over how real the animatronics looked. I will agree that Indy is even better, though.
    I've got one: how about Matterhorn Bobsleds vs. Expedition Everest (which is like Matterhorn on steroids). OK, it's no contest, but I like Matterhorn, too.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 03-23-2008 at 10:54 PM.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    By the way, I was a bit shocked that BC_Disney Geek can find Dinosaur "dreary and unexciting". That is one of my favorite Disney rides, with maybe the best animatronics ever. I found it very exciting and scary (lots of pictures taken by the ride cameras show me flinching away from roaring dinos) and I couldn't get over how real the animatronics looked. I will agree that Indy is even better, though.
    I've got one: how about Matterhorn Bobsleds vs. Expedition Everest (which is like Matterhorn on steroids). OK, it's no contest, but I like Matterhorn, too.
    Perhaps dreary was the wrong word. Claustrophobic perhaps? The Indy show building is open and expansive, while Dinosaur was all darkness. It just felt so much smaller than Indy, despite sharing the same layout. Can't say I found it exciting at all. I loved looking at the on-ride photos for Dinosaur. They almost all showed some poor child looking terrified or burying their face in their parents chest. Is it wrong that I got enjoyment out of that?

Everest was great, and is an example of Disney taking something (the Matterhorn) to the next level, rather than settling for more of the same. It was so nice to see Disney put a state of the art animatronic in a ride, as it seemed like they might have been becoming extinct. They really are two distinct rides, but Everest is easily the superior of the two.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I have a soft spot for Matterhorn. Everest is newer, faster, bigger, and more grandiose, but it's kinda painful for me. I rode it 3 times and each time I felt kinda gross (i think it's the backwards part I'm not a fan of -- though i think it's ingenious).

Dinosaur is very disappointing. I rode it twice and it's just... blah. The story is weak (we have a time machine... how about giving us MORE time???), the lightning effects are poorer than that of Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean, and it's all just in the dark. It'd be more fun if you could see more stuff.

Star Tours is kind of a tie, but I do prefer the generic qualities of Disneyland's better. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I feel that the Endor queue is inapporpriate and forced...as it's meant to be our destination. A random space port makes it more believable.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast