Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Thumbs up Typhoon Lagoon revisited

Ok... so a very dear friend of mine was in town this weekend visiting with me which always gives me reason to go out and leave decisions to someone else.
    This time, my dear friend chose to go to Typhoon Lagoon today. Considering the forecast called for the temperature to go up to only 67F, with a constant breeze to add a chill to the air... we set out to go to Typhoon Lagoon.
    With some reservations about the colder weather today or fearing coming home with pneumonia.. I went along with the plan since I have not been to Typhoid Lagoon (my joking nickname for the park) since before 9/11. It's been that long! Partly because my G-Fan is afraid of water and won't go with me.

Anyways.. unlike Sea World's Aquatica, it's nice being able to pull up into a parking lot and not be charged to park. Upon getting to the ticket booth, I was greeted by a most friendly CM gal. Her demeanor put me in the mood for fun. Bought the tickets and after an initial snafus trying to use my ticket at the turnstyle (same old drama with finger readers that do not work), I was inside Typhoon Lagoon.

Impressions: At first the pools did not seem heated, and I was a bit disappointed. But after a while, the water did seem nice and warm. (Shame on those kids)
    The park's grounds seemed well maintained and manicured. The walkways were clean of botanical residue and I felt comfortable walking around barefoot. Yes, TDLFAN does have toes.
    Since I had been to Typhoon Lagoon before..albeit long ago, the 2nd main reason besides spending time with my out-of-town friend, was to ride Typhoon's newest ride CrushN'Gusher water coaster. This is the first such type water ride I have ever ridden. Well.. guess what: TDLFAN LOVED IT!! I went on each and every Gusher slide and even went back for seconds. Maybe something about getting a grasping cheap thrill on my buns at the bottom of those drops... hehehe. I dunno. LOL!
    The changing facilities were clean and well maintained.
    The rides I did were fun, and so was the main tidal wave pool, still thrilling after all these years. The lazy river was lazy alright, and this could be improved, especially since Aquatica has raised the bar with a "rapids" river, for those who like the lazy rivers fast and fun.
    Over all, we ended up leaving the park at around 2pm since we had other plans off-Disney, but my few hours there were most enjoyable. In fact, I had forgotten how much fun Typhoon Lagoon really is.

With that^^ said, here are the less than stellar impressions.. First up, the CMs at the gift shop. We encountered two of them, and their demeanor was "blah", especially the one who talked to my friend about something and made no sense, which prompted my friend to go .."what?" I was like "typical.."
    We also ate at the park's counter service. The pizza servings were tasty but quite small for the price.
    Going back to the old days when Typhoon Lagoon was pretty new, I recall seeing colorful birds here in various areas of the park... birds like cockatoos, parrots, etc.. This time? I saw NONE. Only Lilo and Stitch were out and about greeting guests, a nice touch indeed, but I miss the real live animals. Aquatica has some of that incorporated into their park, compliments of Sea World.

All in all... I had a most enjoyable half day at Typhoon Lagoon and would love to go back again soon. TDLFAN rates a B+ day. Go check it out if you have not.

•   
    • Seasick

Re: Typhoon Lagoon revisited

I really liked Typhoon Lagoon as well. The new slides are a lot of fun, but alas, lack the theming so abundant throughout the rest of the park.

I just wish the bulk of the slides were a little longer, and perhaps a bit less tepid.

It's definately a half day park for me, especially if you get there early enough to beat the crowds.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Blizzard Beach to compare. Next time...

• For You!

We went last year in June - it was a very welcome break to the heat and crowds. My two boys loved it. One of their favorite parts was the snorkeling in the Shark Cove. It was the first time for my 7 year old. They keep talking about going back. I think they enjoyed this park more than any other.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Typhoon Lagoon ia amazing. I can't do roller coasters, so I get a kick out of water coasters and slides. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is the exact opposite. It's even better with Evening Extra Magic Hours, especially the lazy river.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Blizzard Beach to compare. Next time...
    See? Since you tend to favor the more thrilling slides over tepid ones... Blizzard beach offers an array of slides that are faster and longer than those at Typhoon Lagoon. So, you should have gone there and compare.
    As for the lack of theming in the new slides.. well, that is Aquatica's biggest problems as well. Disney could have done better, but since that particular water coaster is fun... I will look the other way and let it slide this time (pun intended).

• Former CM

I hope you kept your butt up at the beginning like they said. Last time I went there (Dec 05) we happened to go there on the bussiest day of that week. There just barely hit 1000 people in the park for that day. It made for a great time to go on any sidle without any waits that day.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Everytime I go to Blizzard Beach and I ride Mount Gushmore I always thinik I am going to die!

Typhoon is pretty sweet! Nice and tropical! You have to love the Disney Water parks! (though Aquatica is pretty swank too)
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• World Traveler

What? No eye candy sightings?

Thanks for the report TDLFAN!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Great report TDL.

Sounds like you had a chilly but fun day!

• Pilot EdForceOne

I still think the water parks are the area where Disney has the greatest lead on the competition.

Going to the MK make you feel like Disney is old and stale.. goto BB or TL and you'll be on Disney's side again.

If you have tweens or the like in your group.. they'll probably like BB better. Their 'ski camp' I tihnk they call it area is reminisce of the old River Country days in terms of activities
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    What? No eye candy sightings?
    Well..since you asked.. there were a few papas in the crowd worth checking out. But seems to me, it was "Marching Band Days" at Typhoon Lagoon as there were many high school kids all over, and their over-dressed chaperones. Too young to look. I'd be in jail!

Sounds like you had a great time with your special "dear" friend from out of town.
    Thank you for looking out for him. Husband-in-ct said he had a blast with you.

Thanks for the report, I always wanted to try the water parks but never end up making time to go there. And I have available plus options left on my old hopper pass

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well..since you asked.. there were a few papas in the crowd worth checking out.
    This thread needs pictures

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dennis-in-ct View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time with your special "dear" friend from out of town.
    Thank you for looking out for him. Husband-in-ct said he had a blast with you.
    Yes, I had a great time myself. We both missed you terribly and hopefully soon, all 4 of us will go cavorting at the Disney parks together again.

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    See? Since you tend to favor the more thrilling slides over tepid ones... Blizzard beach offers an array of slides that are faster and longer than those at Typhoon Lagoon. So, you should have gone there and compare.
    Alas, two water parks did not fit into my schedule. I actually would have gone to Blizzard Beach instead, I think, if not for the new gusher slides which I really wanted to try. Props to Disney for making an addition sufficient enough to draw my business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast